Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,618 times

Advertisements

I bought a forty foot fleetwood diesel down in Florida and paid $6600 in sales tax. Now i want to register it in New York and they want close to $8000 more sales tax. I thought I could register it in NH and save some money plus it being close to NY. I don't know what to do. Even if I get a perminant address for NH will I get hit with a large tax? Maybe someones been through it and can help me out. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyfooter View Post
I bought a forty foot fleetwood diesel down in Florida and paid $6600 in sales tax. Now i want to register it in New York and they want close to $8000 more sales tax. I thought I could register it in NH and save some money plus it being close to NY. I don't know what to do. Even if I get a perminant address for NH will I get hit with a large tax? Maybe someones been through it and can help me out. Thanks
Ok I'm confused on exactly what your saying...I'm going to guess you are a NY resident. ..if so you have already paid your NY state sales tax when you bought the motor home...it does not matter what state you buy the motor home in (in 99% of the transactions) you pay the sale tax based on where you live... so you should of paid NY state sales tax (4%) when you bought the motorhome. ...now when you register the motor home in NY you will have to pay any addition local or county tax that is added on to the state sales tax but I find it hard to believe its an additional 8K...I do not know if NY and Fl are reciprocal states as far as sale tax on vehicles but I'm guessing they are...but for some reason they are not Florida charges 6% sales tax so at worst all you did is pay more taxes at the time of delivery.
But either way you have paid the sales tax on the motor home when you bought it so all you should have to do is show them the paperwork where the sales tax has been paid and you should be good

So again all you should have to pay NY when you register the motor home is a users tax, and any additional county tax but not the 4% State sales tax again so it should not be that much more

Last edited by rtandc; 05-16-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 01:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
or... you create a Montana LLC to own your Expensive motor vehicles. (Rules apply)

There are many firms who will set you up with a MT LLC.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
or... you create a Montana LLC to own your Expensive motor vehicles. (Rules apply)

There are many firms who will set you up with a MT LLC.
And when the RV sits in New York for more than a couple of months, someone reports him and he has to pay beaucoup back taxes. People do get caught more than occasionally, SR

Old 05-18-2014, 07:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Of course do it legally and follow the rules!!!

Our State Patrol offers incentives to turn in your neighbors for illegal plates, so... I am very Legal about it...

There are plenty of ways to do this legally, but parking it in your 'Out-of-state primary residence' would not be too smart OR legal.

But... say the expensive wheels lived at 'boarding school' in a tax free state...

You do want to be smarter than the average bear, if you are into this 'camping / RV thing.'

Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,618 times
We

Old 04-26-2019, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 566 times
rv registration in nh goes by msrp and needs to be changed. I can find no one that has ever paid the msrp on an rv.
This form of registering an rv is screwing us older rvers out of hundereds if not thousands. We need a law that allows for registrations based on my bill of sale. Call the govenors office, complain to the elected senators and the atty.generals office.
At least have a clause in there that allows for town tax based on bill of sale

example:I paid 46000 for my montana msrp is 86000 I am being taxed on 40000 or $12 per thousand+ over my bill of sale price

[email]kjk0926@outlook.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing