U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM

83 posts, read 124,424 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, thanks to everyone's help . Ok before you think the wife and I might be nuts which of course we may be. We are going to a Camping Show this wknd which should help. We had a 29ft used Motor Home for 3 years that we used a lot. Ok I'm being driven by cost saving money which maybe penny wise pound foolish.
Ok we would drive from NH to FL for 3-4 months sometime in January when there isn't a blizzard..lol...We are looking at 22-24ft Travel Trailers. We think because of our lifestyle. In good weather, the wife likes to be outside all the time. I hope to bike walk and have a few beers after exercising based on the actual living space we had in the motor home we think we can live in 22-24 with a slide out and again driven by cost and concern over gee will I have to buy a mack truck to pull anything bigger..again cost..sorry for going on but any thts or suggestions are great ...you all have been so helpful ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,619,332 times
Trying to figure out your post, I am guessing you want to live in this TT in Florida for 3-4 months during the winter, is that correct? If so it is done all the time... Depending on where in Florida you plan to stay you still might have to deal with some freezing temps so you will have to prepare the TT for those types of temps but if you get south of I4 you should be ok except for those rare cold nights once or twice a winter. As long as you have a campsite with full hookups you will not have to worry about the small size holding tanks on a TT that small in size. Your biggest issue might be the small size fridge and freezer space. As long as your back north before the hot weather sets in you should be fine, I would not want to try and live in a small TT in Florida is the summer time......

Now you could not pay me enough money to do what you want to do, heck I full time in a 45 foot class A and find it small when the weather gets bad, but is it possible to live in a 22 ft TT, sure but serious think about what your doing before you do it or you might find yourself trading that 22 ft TT for a larger one next season which means you will be eating allot of money....rule number one in camping is always go bigger then what you think you need.....be it the truck or TT

Also make sure you have a campground picked out in Florida that will allow a TT that small.... Many of the campgrounds in Florida set a size limit on the RV during the winter, before we bought our own lot the campground we stayed at would not allow anything under 30 feet.....FYI

Last edited by rtandc; 03-05-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM

11,207 posts, read 18,690,859 times
I would rent one down there and travel back and forth via econo car or air. Another option is a $200 apartment above someone's garage or equivalent. I know early retiree folks who have done that for 20 yrs in 'retreat areas' such as ski (snow and water) and warmth.

I am not into the hassle of towing (except for my econo 'teardrop' utility conversion that goes behind my 50 mpg cars). My spouse has a 20 mpg 22 ft motorhome. Too tight for me (and I'm dinky, but like my space).

Towing with a semi is not a bad plan, but not cheap either. You will only get 9-10 mpg. It is great to have the sleeper and microwave / frig within reach. Pickups and toters are a PAIN in comparison (tight / cramped). I would have to be on the road A LOT to justify the hassle of a Class 8, but they are pretty safe for occupants .

My $3000 dodge cummins gets 20 mpg empty and 12 mpg towing heavy (28,000# gross). Still way too spendy for this guy, when my $35 cars get 48-50mpg.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks RT you brought up good points and you were funny. Good point about mm might hit cold weather, yep you're right. Wife and I were there renting a condo for 10 days in Jan 2010 ? OMG we were freezing in the condo...I think there is a lot to think about as you said...22ft reality when we hit bad weather in a campground...Might have to think about Feb-April...I would like to stay if possible within a reasonable ride to Dunedin Fl. So that is our area we are looking at. I'm so glad the camping show is in NH this wknd this is our test, I told the wife bring our pillows....lol...

Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Hi Stealth, yea more good points. We are interested in the Dunedin Florida area. Seems hard to find reasonable rentals. On CList recently one was in Palm Harbor for $1300 Yikes pretty plain 2 bedrm and this is cheaper in comparison to other sites. So if you find one of these expensive ones you have to book in advance with downpayment, my only concern with that is if the wife or I are ill during those rental times. That's how the camper idea came to us and that we camped a lot years ago...so tht maybe this was an option. Thanks for your help

Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 AM

2,424 posts, read 1,492,988 times
My husband and I, for years, lived and worked out of a 28 foot bumper-pull with no slides. It can be done. We even wintered in northern Idaho one year in it. But with that being said, we were in our 20's, newlyweds, and it wasn't easy. I would buy the largest RV your budget will afford you, because even now our 42' coach becomes small at times. Remember, that not only are you thinking about "camping" your also thinking about "living". And this includes things like storage, cooking, laundry, and all the little details, not just enjoying the great outdoors....

Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM

TY Aus10, yes we are starting to reconsider. I and wife have been reading a lot of camping posts here, again I love City Data it is a great education. For some reason we thought that buying a TT and a Truck ( need new vehicle anyway) would be cheaper than buying a cheap condo in florida. I guess we were stuck in the old days of our camping experience ..lol..I started to do the Math and I was like wow camping is really expensive...The plan would have been NH to Tampa region for 3 months to start then maybe 5-6 months. So unless my Math was messed up which could be possible, I found that I could get 800sf condo for 45-65 and costs were same for Mort, taxes, condo fee as buying stuff above plus monthly Parks cost + utils.

And thanks about the age reminder..lol...the wife and I sometimes think like we're 39 and so the mind takes off ..you know ....and now I wonder if we will have the physical rigor to take on this trip, ...thanks for reading

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,516,431 times
I know I could live in one for several months.

You look at what people have in some of the long stay motels and a smaller travel trailer would be much better. I count the space under the awning as living space because you can sit outside even when it's raining and of course you can spend much of your time outdoors and if the weather is bad, you can visit museums, go out to eat, shop in stores.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM

2,424 posts, read 1,492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelticroam View Post
TY Aus10, yes we are starting to reconsider. I and wife have been reading a lot of camping posts here, again I love City Data it is a great education. For some reason we thought that buying a TT and a Truck ( need new vehicle anyway) would be cheaper than buying a cheap condo in florida. I guess we were stuck in the old days of our camping experience ..lol..I started to do the Math and I was like wow camping is really expensive...The plan would have been NH to Tampa region for 3 months to start then maybe 5-6 months. So unless my Math was messed up which could be possible, I found that I could get 800sf condo for 45-65 and costs were same for Mort, taxes, condo fee as buying stuff above plus monthly Parks cost + utils.

And thanks about the age reminder..lol...the wife and I sometimes think like we're 39 and so the mind takes off ..you know ....and now I wonder if we will have the physical rigor to take on this trip, ...thanks for reading
I hope I didn't discourage you Kelticroam.. it's just so many folks see RVing in a "romantic" kind of way. It can be, personally, I much prefer it to hotels, condo's etc. But there are also practical things that most people also forget. We've been using RV's for over 30 years, living in them on an average of 10 to 11 months a year. It all comes down to what you want as far as livability. On a side note, my father who does exactly what you are thinking of (he pulls a fiver from IL to FL every winter) has seen his lot rent go up to an astronomical 1200.00 per month in South FL in the winter. This too will need to be factored into your costs. So you'll need to realize that the farther south you go in FL in the winter the higher the cost. North of I-4 you'll realize much more savings.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM

42,635 posts, read 46,451,578 times
You might find many condo rentals at that time of year especailly in places like Destin area in panahndle that are very resonable by the month.I'd ony consider a new truck and trailer if you plan on using it alot because it has expenses even when not used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing