U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,137,427 times
Default Self-contained pop-up campers: do they exist?

I'm talking about the kind you pull behind a vehicle (not the "truck bed camper" kind). Do they make pop-up campers with tanks and a generator, so that they could be used for "boondocking"? If yes, can any of y'all point me in the direction of some of them so I can check them out?

If such a thing doesn't exist, what is a good small travel trailer, maybe 3,000 pounds or less, which would work for two tall people and be self-contained? ("Work for two tall people" means that my 6'3" wife won't bump her head when walking in the hallways, won't have to put her head in that skylight thingy to avoid bumping it when she showers, and won't have her feet dangling off the bed while sleeping stretched out. I'm 6'2", so if it works for her, it'll work for me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM

3,894 posts, read 3,330,014 times
Will you look for used or new? What kind of price range because there are so many out there that knowing that helps to narrow it down. Boondocking in a pop-up would be more of a challenge since you would need portable tanks. I know a couple may have tanks but they would not amount to much. Trailers under 3,000 lbs, you could try fiberglass egg types but they are small, ones like Scamp, Casita and Eggcamper (I think this is the tallest inside of the 3), etc. Still tanks will be small on those. Something that might be worth a look would be Livin' Lite - Camplite as it is all aluminum, comes in different sizes and it is rather impressive and they have video on their website showing one. You can check weights and tank sizes on the manufacturers websites. You might look around the Jayco website, we have had good luck with their products in the past, as they make everything from pop-ups to motorhomes. They have started making a small and lightweight trailer just this year I think. Bathrooms come "wet" bath and "dry" bath, everything gets wet in the wet bath since it is one piece. Some of pop-ups have a shower and a cassette toilet (a nice toilet but must be emptied like a porti-potti. The shower is basically pulling a curtain around, usually, yourself and using a hand shower to wash with. So many variables but I love campers/RVs.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 PM

9,637 posts, read 10,492,198 times
There are self contained tent trailers with showers and yes there are trailers under 3000 good for your needs, you will need to buy a small generator for these. I will suggest searching the internet and local dealers.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 PM

8,074 posts, read 20,911,967 times
Several brands of "pop-up" trailers meet your boondocking requirements ... you'll need to contact your local RV dealers to see what's available.

Coleman is one brand I've seen around that has units that have optional propane tanks, a built-in generator, stove, water system and outdoor shower unit. There's others ... and you could also install (or have installed) a lot of the equipment and systems in a lesser optioned trailer .... best to get your hands on a catalogue from one of the RV equipment suppliers to see what's available that's targeted to this industry.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM

1,265 posts, read 2,506,457 times
Boondocking, no you will not find a trailer that small with tanks big enough to go more then maybe one day.....you can use portable tanks but that is going to be a major hassle.....I am 6'4 and it was hard to find a shower in a large class A motor home that gave me the headroom I wanted... To find that in a small TT is going to be very hard

Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM

10,790 posts, read 17,551,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Boondocking, ......I am 6'4 and it was hard to find a shower in a large class A motor home that gave me the headroom I wanted... ..
Thus, I LUV my 'outdoor shower' on smaller RV (save tank capacity AND unlimited headroom). Tho fed from my 'motor-aide' HW heater, Bit cool in the winter (AFTER the shower). This is when I use state parks (during the day, no fee) and public pools w/ showers. When traveling in the mtn states I can find a nice sunny spot to shower on a winter day. Bit tougher in PNW.

I plan to add a 'motor-aide' and outdoor shower to my 52mpg Passat Wagon mini motor home.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM

8,074 posts, read 20,911,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Boondocking, no you will not find a trailer that small with tanks big enough to go more then maybe one day.....you can use portable tanks but that is going to be a major hassle.....I am 6'4 and it was hard to find a shower in a large class A motor home that gave me the headroom I wanted... To find that in a small TT is going to be very hard
Really? I've seen Colemans with a 5 gal propane tank on the front trailer tongue. That should last a week for most folk taking showers and cooking.

As an outside shower, there's a number of portable propane fired units that use a battery powered pump (4 or 6 D cells) and a heating coil. I've used one from Cabela's that works like a champ. Better than a sunshower in cold weather for outside showers.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM

1,265 posts, read 2,506,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Really? I've seen Colemans with a 5 gal propane tank on the front trailer tongue. That should last a week for most folk taking showers and cooking.

As an outside shower, there's a number of portable propane fired units that use a battery powered pump (4 or 6 D cells) and a heating coil. I've used one from Cabela's that works like a champ. Better than a sunshower in cold weather for outside showers.
Not talking about propane tanks, I guess I should of stated "gray and black water tanks"....When boondocking (away from all hookups) most small trailers like pop ups either do not have gray and black water tanks at all or they are very small in size limiting the time you have until you have to dump

Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 AM

9,637 posts, read 10,492,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm talking about the kind you pull behind a vehicle (not the "truck bed camper" kind). Do they make pop-up campers with tanks and a generator, so that they could be used for "boondocking"? If yes, can any of y'all point me in the direction of some of them so I can check them out?\
I guess it depends on what a person considers Boondocking I've camped in remote areas with a tent trailer many times neither of my trailers had a rest room and fresh water was limited to 15 gallons, we have stayed well over a week like this many times. You have to learn how to conserve your resources and then your good to go.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM

16,108 posts, read 9,452,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm talking about the kind you pull behind a vehicle (not the "truck bed camper" kind). Do they make pop-up campers with tanks and a generator, so that they could be used for "boondocking"? If yes, can any of y'all point me in the direction of some of them so I can check them out?

If such a thing doesn't exist, what is a good small travel trailer, maybe 3,000 pounds or less, which would work for two tall people and be self-contained? ("Work for two tall people" means that my 6'3" wife won't bump her head when walking in the hallways, won't have to put her head in that skylight thingy to avoid bumping it when she showers, and won't have her feet dangling off the bed while sleeping stretched out. I'm 6'2", so if it works for her, it'll work for me.)

Do a search for your local RV Sales place and go see what they have to offer. We are getting ready to purchase a motor home but I do not like to pull anything behind my vehicle and in my opinion it is much less fuss to have everything self contained in the motor home and have a real fridge and a real stove and a real table and a real bed and room for my critters to roam while we are traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing