Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion. What do you think about this idea?

Kevin Hornby Designs Ford Transit Connect Conversion | Kevin Hornby Designs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Looks pretty cool to me

Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Honestly looks no different then many other conversions that are out in the market place..... Looks nice but not very functional IMO

Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
If they can keep that 22-25 mpg with the conversion - that might be something to take a hard look at.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I think they (Transit) may be functional for 'small' single travelers with other utility purposes for that vehicle (business use). The rest of the world has had several nearly identical 'mini-delivery-trucks' for many yrs (Large WW use of VW 'Caddy' Diesel in similar configuration including 'mini-bus' with large windows and passenger seats in that rear section). I would do some research and see how they have been accepted by overseas cultures who are far more robust 'campers' than WE (USA 'cruise ship camper's' . . I certainly hope they do better than 24mpg, as you can get that (and better) in a Sprinter and have a much more functional, substantial, proven, reliable, and resellable vehicle. Sprinters REALLY drive nice, and are great for the long haul. I have friends that get a consistant 28 mpg. (usually on free 'homebrew' bio-diesel)

There are many places making 'modular' conversions for Sprinter and I assume the 'Transit' too. I think it is a great idea with limited appeal. The conversion / modular stuff I assembled and quoted for a Sprinter was way too expensive and rivaled a complete custom 'conversion'. I would guess the Transit would be similar and you may wish you had spent the $$ for same economy with Bathroom, shower, microwave, Genset, furnace, storage tanks, stove, refrigerator ... and MANY of the very nice and handy conveniences of a true conversion (van, RV, Class B or Class C).

I would be much more positive if the 'Transit' got 'Focus' economy (38 - 40 mpg). Lots of options for MUCH more useful vehicles in the 24 mpg range (including an 8,000# 1T cummins diesel, Mine gets 22mpg as an ugly 4x4 dually flatbed). My spouse's 7,000# Rialta class C RV gets 20mpg and you could park a Transit INSIDE with room to spare.

While I feel there is great opportunities for these vehicles, I just have traveled / camped too much to feel they would be very comfortable for extended travel. It would be very similar to a friend that went around the perimeter of USA in his Datsun pickup and camper (to find himself). He dumped that rig as soon as he got home. He had had ENOUGH of being SQUEEZED. I, for one, drive extended distances and APPRECIATE to no end a comfortable space to sleep (nap or extended) while traveling. My VW pickup is murder on that theme. On the other hand... my Passat Wagons have reclining seats and enough room for ONE to stetch out (tho confined). The Rialta allows for 4-6 COMFORTABLE spots for stretching out.

Another VERY utilitary option is the VW Eurovan. it has a HUGE cargo capacity, and can better 24 mpg, especially in Canadian Diesel version. (Up to 36 mpg). It can be had with 'weekender' package and pop-top, or if you are 100% a camper, look at a Westfalia. (love those outdoor showers!)

Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM

I've also have looked at the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter which is nice but you cann't buy a small wheel-base anymore. The 144 wheel base is to big to use it to run around town.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: Showroom

I will check out the VW Eurovan also.

Thanks, John

Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM

Here is another idea for a camper.

THE NEW NV200 COMPACT CARGO made by Nissan.

2013 Nissan NV200 Compact Cargo | Nissan Commercial Vehicles

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 AM

131 posts, read 447,020 times
John1960, thanks for this post. I've looked at the larger Nissan NV Cargo and it's fantastic! It would make a great conversion. My mixed use would be splitting about 90miles p/day of commute with a 1993 Volvo Wagon (23 MPG a range I'd like to stay in), as well as serving part time as a cargo van for musical gear (HammondB3) and crossing over as a camper. That's quite a bit to ask of any vehicle. They don't give MPG info however (is that because of weight?), I'd like to get that info. This new Nissan NV 200 Compact Van isn't at my local dealers yet and this is the first I've heard of it. Maybe they will give MPG ratings on this vehicle because it's weights are lower. Anyone out there have info on MPG on either of these lines kindly pass it along. One of these will probably be my vehicle for the next 15-20 yrs.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I love to see conversions for smaller vehicles but I'd be more impressed if the shower was inside the vehicle and if there was a fold out dinette where you can sit and have a meal inside if the weather outside is lousy.

For the price, you can outfit an SUV such as an FJ cruiser (Base MSRP is pretty darn close to a TC) or pickup (with much better offroad capability than a transit connect) with top of the line expedition and camping gear including a rooftop tent. That would be what I would suggest. If you still have to shower outside and do most of the stuff outside and you still sacrifice the cargo area, it's pointless to me.

Then at least you'd really be able to reach the boondocking spots that RVers could only dream of camping.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I've kept quiet because I hate being negative. I figure if it'll work for you, go for it. But I can't imagine myself spending any time in these tiny vans. If you can't stand up in it, can't cook a meal in it, can't take a shower or use the "facilities" in it, what good is it as a camper? I often think some people go overboard in buying home-sized campers and motorhomes for weekend use, but there's a happy medium somewhere -- something small enough to navigate city streets but large enough to be relatively comfortable living in on a cold, rainy day.

For years I had pickup campers. Aside from the first one I owned -- a "topper" -- they were all big enough to live in comfortably for weeks on end. I could bake dinner in the oven or cook on the stove top; I could shower, shave and use the potty, sit down to a table for a meal or game of cards, and I always had a bed ready for use. If it was chilly I could fire up the furnace. Heck, I camped out in Canada in -30F weather once (sans water). In a few minutes I could remove the camper from the pickup and navigate in traffic as well as most cars -- or I could leave it on and still get around without much difficulty.

Some conversions are pretty neat, but be careful not go TOO small or you may as well just get a tent and Coleman stove for the trunk of your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing