U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM

211 posts, read 364,379 times
Default First Camping Trip of the Year-Ohio State Parks

We finally got our first trip in. Our weather here in Ohio has been weird yet nice but we were still hesitant to venture out. We have a pop-up with a slide out. Nice size for us. We ended up at Deer Creek State Park just south of Columbus. And it rained all day Saturday! Grrr! But thankfully it was dry and windy over night and on Sunday it dried everything out for us. Love not having to set everything back up when we get home.

As for our state parks, anyone have a state park in Ohio they love? We've been to a few but would like to try a couple new ones this year. We are in Columbus, so most of Ohio is ok but tend to not want to go the borders, just a little too far. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,126,679 times
When I travel to OH, it's for work, not fun but that doesn't stop me from camping while I'm there. Most of the time it's Alum Creek state park. It's gone downhill in recent years maintenance-wise, which I'm assuming is due to budget cuts. There's a lake there and large paved wooded/shaded sites plus it's convenient to Colbs. (at least by atlanta standards). Lots of ammenities and activities.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM

We've haven't camped there yet. We have friends that boat at Alum Creek all summer and this year we are definitely booking a spot (hopefully near one of the water access points) so we can hang out with them. When we've drove thru it, the spots always seen small to me but I like the fact that they are private and not big open spaces. Yes, there has been budget cuts but I haven't been thru there a lot to notice the difference. Hopefully we can hit it up this year. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM

9,613 posts, read 10,181,076 times
We have been trying to get away for the last couple of months, the weather will not cooperate or our jobs get in the way but all that is behind us, this Friday we are off for a week of camping in the mountains, it's a trip we do every year and it's only days away

Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Yay Roaddog! I bet camping there is beautiful! Our weather here in Ohio has been crazy. We've had hardly any winter and not the usually rainy spring. We've got rain but it's not like it usually is.
Our next trip will probably be next weekend. It was our next free weekend, so hopefully we'll hit up the campground.

@Cittic10, maybe we'll get to go to Alum Creek or A.W. Marion. Marion is nice, small and quiet and close to home. And because it's small it doesn't have the large amount of people and kids that can sometimes be annoying. only downfall it doesn't have shower houses, just a bathroom.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,126,679 times
If alum creek is full or not to your liking, there's a private campground across the street that I've stayed at, Cross Creek. More activities and amenities but not as good if you like space and shade.

My only major complaint about either is that about a half mile away there are a couple of train tracks and you hear the trains sounding their horns in the middle of the night.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,908,072 times
Maumee bay is wonderful...very impressive and clean

I highly recommend the ones on lake erie...very nice
Ohio State Parks - Park Locator Map

Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 AM

325 posts, read 250,789 times
You have probably already been there but Hocking Hills is pretty especially with trees changing. Also, try Put In Bay not during the summer though since it gets a little rowdy during the summer you can take the ferry across just check to see if the campground allows pop ups.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM

@ Zippy7fo, thanks for the suggestion of Maumee Bay. I think we've drove thru it and I did like it. I would love to camp up on the lake sometime. Now that its Dec, hopefully next summer will be full of next adventures.

@ 3a's We have never been to Hocking Hills. Have thought about it several times and when we tried they were booked. I've been thru the camp group on Put-in-Bay but it's tents only. That would be cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing