U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM

25,208 posts, read 31,383,930 times

Advertisements

I have a friend selling a 2003 prowler 5 th wheel camper that is 30 feet long. Will he have a hard time selling it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 PM

11,268 posts, read 18,932,579 times
No trouble to sell; if accessible / busy location (good marketing), priced right, and is in premium condition.

A 30' 5r is probably gonna by marketed to full-timers, so advertise accordingly.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,644,119 times
I say very hard, 5th wheels are a dime a dozen. With it being just a 30 footer may help as that is a smaller 5th wheel so people looking for something small to get into state parks etc may be interested.... But the issue with all 5th wheels are their height so that draw back still comes into play.

Any ten year old camper is hard to sell, very clean updated units will have the best chance of selling quickly as long as it is priced at market value....5th wheels are selling used at somewhere close to wholesale value, if it is a super clean unit you might expect closer to low retail but even then finding a buyer is going to be a shot in the dark. But it only takes that one person to make a sale and that person may be just down the street

Last edited by rtandc; 04-25-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM

One important thing I forgot to ask....

Slides or no-slides?

Fulltimers say 'no-slides' is a death wish for resale value. But, again, price it right, spiff it to perfection and it will be gone fast. Otherwise you can sit on it while it rots.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 PM

25,208 posts, read 31,383,930 times
I think it's not a slider. And motorhomes without slider are probably hard to sell to? What size truck would it take to pull a 30 footer?

Thanks, John

Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I think it's not a slider. And motorhomes without slider are probably hard to sell to? What size truck would it take to pull a 30 footer?

Thanks, John
It all depends on the weight of the 5th wheel, 30 feet is not that big for a 5th wheel but they didn't build them light weight ten years ago like they do today

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

4,144 posts, read 3,753,797 times
The used market is saturated with 5th wheels right now as I watch it most of the time and have never seen so many on the market. The price of gas has everyone really downsizing to new units running 14 to 19 feet or the little fiberglass "egg" types and I wish I had a dozen of those to sell. Since it is so old, it has pretty much depreciated as far as it will probably go so might find a fisherman or contractor that might be interested or maybe someone that could set it up on a lake lot or something along those lines.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM

5,933 posts, read 6,479,720 times
It won't be hard at all, just follow these three simple steps:

1. Take the money from the buyer.
2. Sign the title.
3. Give the buyer the title.

Finding a buyer might be a little tough, though, depending on where he lives and proud he is of it.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
2 years ago when we were looking to buy, we turned to Florida to find a 5er. Using just craigslist for sellers, everyone we called (about 30) were available and eager to sell. We even had 2-3 sellers call us back using the number on their caller ID. Most of the units we saw were very well used. One even had a leak and a broken window, which the seller failed to tell us before we drove 100 miles o see it.
If the price is right and it is in great condition, it will sell. The problem is getting it out there so the right buyer can find it.
We stumbled across ours by accident. The seller had really bad photos on the web and boring description. When we went to see it just for fun. It was immaculate and and priced at $6K, $5K below what the book said it was worth. The sellers said they had been trying to sell it for 6 months at book value and no one wanted it. They had just dropped the price the day before we called.

We pull our 33 footer (10K pounds empty) with a 1998 Dodge Cummins automatic trans.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Thanks, John
3/4 ton, w single rear wheels would be minimum, but adequate tow vehicle.
Automatic 2wd is fine for freeway / highway, and minimal mtn passes (preferably those without switchbacks). Back country / steep you might appreciate 4wd.

I prefer dually diesel 4x4, but I tow heavy (20,000#+) via bumper / pintle. I have to use low range for many of the hills / driveways I travel. I REALLY wish I had a 10-18spd RR and exhaust brake in my towing vehicle. I have 2 sets of tight switchbacks between me and town (5 miles).

NOW is the time to get that thing sold. After Memorial Day / June, it can be a long dry spell (till next yr). Rumor has it fuel will go down, I wouldn't count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing