Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering because every year at the same time I put on a trip to some local camp ground and I invite out outlaws and in laws to come along, most of the husbands go and sometimes a few sister in laws.

six years ago I tried to set up a annual camp trip in the summer months for all the relatives to go on, the first trip was a major hit with everyone showing and having a blast but unfortunately it fizzled out after only a few years, I personally thought it was a great idea.

Does anyone do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
We have so far, on two separate occasions, camped next to huge extended families having their annual camping reunion.

My brother holds a camping trip every year, and those who wish to show up are welcome to do so. He invites anyone from either him or his late wife's family, and depending who's nearby there's a slightly different group each year.

I agree - it's a great idea. Maybe you just need to be persistent, and realize that it may be just you some years. One year I hope to be near enough to my brother's yearly trip so I can be there ...

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM

492 posts, read 630,654 times
My husband and his three brothers and the entire shabang (all the wives and kids and pets) would go camping every chance we got!! Those are some of the best memories that we have of when our kids were growing up. Two brothers are now gone. So glad that we spent that time with them.

Good, clean fun!! Stay after them. They will be happy they came.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM

212 posts, read 686,869 times
we don't neccessarily do an organized trip but all of us that camp try to all go on Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend. Usually we end up at the same state park because a couple of our friends are picky. So we camp all the places we want to all the other times because we know where we'll be on those weekends. We only have 4-5 families, not huge. This Memorial day we have 7 familes. So it should be fun!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
We used to camp with friends and family, a few years back. It was fun. However, I came to realize that the only way it would happen, was if I made all the plans. LOL. I had to figure out who would commit, then I had to reserve (pay for) all the campsites and when people showed up, I had to try to collect the fees from my friends and family. When I got tired of that and encouraged others to reserve their own spots, it never happened. LOL Now we camp alone or with a couple friends who are just as excited about it as we are.
It certainly is fun, though, if you can make it happen!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM

212 posts, read 686,869 times
totally feel ya kadylady! while I don't do that for camping, I feel like I'm always the one who calls friends together for dinner or game night, gets the tickets for a concert. sometimes it'd be nice if others did that so I'd feel wanted.

sorry for the vent! but like you, we have a couple good friends that we love to camp with and it's so much easier when there's only a few families and everyone is on board with their own reservations. we just coordinate whos taking which spot and it's done.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhgirl View Post
totally feel ya kadylady! while I don't do that for camping, I feel like I'm always the one who calls friends together for dinner or game night, gets the tickets for a concert. sometimes it'd be nice if others did that so I'd feel wanted.

sorry for the vent! but like you, we have a couple good friends that we love to camp with and it's so much easier when there's only a few families and everyone is on board with their own reservations. we just coordinate whos taking which spot and it's done.
LOL ! The last time I tried to coordinate a trip, I finally gave up and made all the plans for ourselves. Then I just emailed our itinerary to them. They ended up getting on board, but jeez, it was like pulling teeth.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
The few times I was able to get them all together we had a great time but I was the one who did all the planning and such as others have mentioned and it was a lot of work. I put on a small annual trip every year where a few people tag along it's coming up this Friday so I may just have be happy with that

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Hey, Roaddog. I got a trip coming up on Friday, too!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
For the past four years my wife's family has been joining us for a week at a small Forest Service campground in the Bighorn Mountains, just an hour from our home. We mostly just sit around the campfire cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner. We do a little fishing. (The sites we get are adjacent to and about 20 feet from a small mountain stream and a couple miles from a nice lake.)

This year we're going to Oregon to see them, taking the camper of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing