U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2012, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,729 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

So... to give a little background info my husband and I have been married for almost 10 months now, and we have spent about 90% of that time we have been living in freinds spare bedrooms. in the past few months, we have been looking at small studio or 1 br apartments to rent in the area but are kind of overwhelmed by how much it would cost to move, and if something were to happen to my husband's job again (long story short he had to leave a good paying job because of stress related health problems, and now he is having a hard time trying to find something stable.) I am unsure that we would be able to get an apartment or keep it for the length of a year lease if he were to be out of a job. Another issue that is making our housing search that much harder is that we have a cat that was mine before we got maried and I am very close to this cat, as I lost my mother (this cat was a companion for her before she died) a few years ago. I am in the process of returning to school to finish m bachelor's degree, and hope to graduate with a teaching certificate.

We have considered several options that have not worked out and are considering living full-time in an RV for at least a year. We would be living in one city as much as possible for as much of that year as possible (we have a small car and would commute to work from the RV). We have very little tying us down as far as family is concerned, but I want to finish school before we try to take off cross country. My husband and I are very young (25 and 23, respectively) and love to travel. We eventually want to settle down into a place of our own, but that is certainly not possible right now.We also want to get an RV for ourselves so that some point in the future we can do the cross country trips.

Any advice on how to go about starting the transiton to full-timing? What kind of investment are we looking at to get started? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

I am mainly looking for good solid information about this so that I can do my research on the subject before I dive head first into something. Thanks ahead of time to all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 AM

11,164 posts, read 18,539,692 times
Been taking extensive vacations since your age (and before) and now retired but a decade or so from age 65.

RV can be expensive, even when on the cheap. Can you fix stuff??? (hopefully one of you is a farm kid and knows how to weld and repair EVERYTHING from engines to plumbing / electrical to being a veterinarian (and PT surgeon.)

If you can fix stuff, you get get a very nice and serviceable class C for under $10,000, and plenty for under $5,000. A trailer for about the same (but then you need a tow rig... pickup)

If you can't fix stuff... live in an apartment, and drive a Toyota.
Or... get a 'live-in' job on a Dairy Farm for a few yrs. (housing is free... part of pay.... very little, AND it can be very therapeutic ALL WORK no play / no time to be stressed. )

Consider what would be LEAST stressful for your husband AND give you the freedom you need.
RV's are very close qtrs, AFFORDABLE RV parks can be very POOR / drug'gy situations. I would rather live on the dairy farm, at least you can escape to the barn when you need some space.

I would also consider house sitting for international travelers(workers) and / or retired. My SiL has "house sat" for 30+ yrs. You can get a job as a caretaker (for rich estate / camp / campground / park) and house is provided). When we lived on an Island in Canada there were several couples and young families doing that. The rich folks (owners) only showed up a few weeks / yr.

I would look into living with an older couple. That can be very helpful to get a broader perspective (appreciation) of life, and to help them out.

Many options. RV would NOT be one for me (if I were subject to stress / life pressures).

I have traveled worldwide for over 25 yrs using private guesthomes $10 / night and VERY friendly / helpful. Camping has been memorable (but not fun). YMMV

BTW, I do have an RV, but use it very little and usually for trips to coast or National Parks. If I had to LIVE somewhere, I would NOT do it in my RV. (Maint headache, too tight, too stressful, too expensive)

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 8,972,926 times
RV=Recreational Vehicle.

What you're describing is not recreation. RVs are great for camping trips, and some enjoy living in them full-time, but that's best when you want to travel about the country enjoying all the sights, not when you want to live in a city.

Also, the kind of RV that would be comfortable for full-time living might be bigger than the optimum size for traveling. Big motor homes can be costly to maintain, license and insure, and big 5th wheels demand big pickups/trucks to haul them.

Most agree that a 5th wheel camper is a cheaper than is a motor home, whether it's for full-timing or occasional recreational RVing. But even the cost of a 5th wheel and tow vehicle can vary widely, from a few thousand for an old rig to $200,000 for a big, new camper and diesel pickup/truck. For a fairly decent used rig, I'd say you're looking at $25K to $50K. Your idea of "fairly decent" and mine might not be the same. I'd suggest you start by visiting an RV dealership.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,285,110 times
I would first look at how much it would cost you both for the RV and for the lot rent. And check out different places where you could have the hook-ups. Some of the nicer mobile home parks don't have temporary sites and many RV parks aren't all that affordable -- not cheaper than an apartment.

I think it would really be more affordable to just find a mobile home in a mobile home park to rent at first.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,604,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCrummy89 View Post
Hi everyone!

So... to give a little background info my husband and I have been married for almost 10 months now, and we have spent about 90% of that time we have been living in freinds spare bedrooms. in the past few months, we have been looking at small studio or 1 br apartments to rent in the area but are kind of overwhelmed by how much it would cost to move, and if something were to happen to my husband's job again (long story short he had to leave a good paying job because of stress related health problems, and now he is having a hard time trying to find something stable.) I am unsure that we would be able to get an apartment or keep it for the length of a year lease if he were to be out of a job. Another issue that is making our housing search that much harder is that we have a cat that was mine before we got maried and I am very close to this cat, as I lost my mother (this cat was a companion for her before she died) a few years ago. I am in the process of returning to school to finish m bachelor's degree, and hope to graduate with a teaching certificate.

We have considered several options that have not worked out and are considering living full-time in an RV for at least a year. We would be living in one city as much as possible for as much of that year as possible (we have a small car and would commute to work from the RV). We have very little tying us down as far as family is concerned, but I want to finish school before we try to take off cross country. My husband and I are very young (25 and 23, respectively) and love to travel. We eventually want to settle down into a place of our own, but that is certainly not possible right now.We also want to get an RV for ourselves so that some point in the future we can do the cross country trips.

Any advice on how to go about starting the transiton to full-timing? What kind of investment are we looking at to get started? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

I am mainly looking for good solid information about this so that I can do my research on the subject before I dive head first into something. Thanks ahead of time to all of you!
I understand what you want to do, and for some reason many people especially young couples have this idea that they can live in a RV full time much cheaper then living in a house or apartment. Take this advice from someone that lives full time in a RV, that is just not true....

One, full timing in a RV is just that, traveling across the country at your leisure, doing what you want....It’s a great life style but is very costly...
That is not what you will be doing. You want to stay at one place for a year or so living out of an RV thinking it will save you money....trust me you won’t.....Let me give you a few reasons why...............

One, no matter where you plan to live most local campground base their monthly rentals off the going monthly rate of the local apartment rentals for the same area....don’t believe me, check around....So monthly savings for you....zero

Two, Living in an apartment and something goes wrong, say the AC/heat goes out, or you have a water leak....all you do is call the office and they send someone out to fix it, normally at no cost to you...If the same thing happens to you in your RV, guess what? You get to call out a local RV repairman to fix the problem. RV repairman charge allot of money per hour for a service call and RV parts are very expensive.....

Three, 99% of the RV's built today are designed for seasonal part time camping, not for living in year around. They are not designed to live in during extreme weather conditions. Extreme weather conditions pretty much means winter and summer....lol....If you are living in an area where the winter temps get below freezing you have a number of problems on your hands....

Unlike an apartment (that was built to certain local building codes) it has well insulated windows, floors, walls, ceilings etc, an RV is not built within those same standards, in fact most are built as cheaply as possible.

If you are someplace that has cold winters, many of the campgrounds close for the winter season or at least turn off their water supply. They do this because again RV's are not designed for winter camping. Most RV's have exposed water lines that freeze in cold weather, these will then bust and you have a whole new set of problems on your hands. You can outfit your RV to handle these types of weather conditions but will cost you X number of dollars depending on your unit. Trying to keep that small RV warm in the winter will cost you much more in electricity and propane then what you would spend in a much larger apartment.

I could go on and on about problems you will encounter. Depending on which city or state you live in they may consider living in a RV in a campground as being homeless, so trying to set up you postal mailing address and the issues of not having a permanent address to give your employers, insurance companies, local banks, schools, loan companies etc will all come into play and things you will have to deal with everyday.......

Yes the romance and freedom that everyone wants by living in a RV, traveling the country and doing what you want, when you want is out there, but it’s at a very high price.....Wanting to live in a RV for a year or so because you think will save you money from living in a house or apartment is just a fairy tale because it’s just not true...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM

68 posts, read 119,291 times
I believe it is a realistic aspiration. Here are the issues. Finding a place to park. You'll want to have hook-ups, so you can look for an older type mobile home park. They will be cheaper for rent, and amenable to older rigs. Before committing to a park, drive through at various times of day/night. Some can be rundown and sketchy. Or... find someone that will let you park on their property. You'd need an extension cord, a hose, and a way to hook into their septic. If you get a travel trailer, you'll need something that can tow it. That means more spent on gas. The alternative is to pay someone to deliver the trailer, since you'll be in one place for awhile. You can find an older motorhome, but then you have to consider the added upkeep of another vehicle that's going to sit. There are lots of older rigs for sale now, due to the recession. It's a good time to buy. BUT...buyer beware. Educate yourselves on the ins and out of rvs. There is an absolute wealth of info on the web about full timing. As far as the size and the close quarters aspect.... it's better than having to live off the good graces of friends. It would be your own space. I lived in a 26' class a motorhome for 16 months. It was 2 adults, 2 small dogs, 1 med dog, 2 cats. We all did just fine. You learn quickly to always put things away when you're done with them. You also learn to respect each other on a level that would not likely be achieved in a "normal" size house. I've been away from full time rving for 5 yrs now. I'm currently in the process of getting my small SUV ready to tow, and shopping for a 13-15' vintage travel trailer. My budget is no more than $1500. I am a single female, in my 50s. I can't afford an apartment, but frankly, even if I could, I wouldn't. Once I experienced the freedom of owning a home that I could take with me wherever my work or whim took me, there was no going back. I think with the way the economy is going, there will be more and more of us doing this. I hate to hear people say "I'd never". You never know what tomorrow will bring. Being proactive in preparing for your future is a good thing! Good for you two. I say go for it.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 PM

68 posts, read 119,291 times
Forgot to mention...my budget is no more than $1500 and that's pushing it. I have quite a few to select from within that limit.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM

750 posts, read 351,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I understand what you want to do, and for some reason many people especially young couples have this idea that they can live in a RV full time much cheaper then living in a house or apartment. Take this advice from someone that lives full time in a RV, that is just not true....

One, full timing in a RV is just that, traveling across the country at your leisure, doing what you want....Itís a great life style but is very costly...
That is not what you will be doing. You want to stay at one place for a year or so living out of an RV thinking it will save you money....trust me you wonít.....Let me give you a few reasons why...............

One, no matter where you plan to live most local campground base their monthly rentals off the going monthly rate of the local apartment rentals for the same area....donít believe me, check around....So monthly savings for you....zero

Two, Living in an apartment and something goes wrong, say the AC/heat goes out, or you have a water leak....all you do is call the office and they send someone out to fix it, normally at no cost to you...If the same thing happens to you in your RV, guess what? You get to call out a local RV repairman to fix the problem. RV repairman charge allot of money per hour for a service call and RV parts are very expensive.....

Three, 99% of the RV's built today are designed for seasonal part time camping, not for living in year around. They are not designed to live in during extreme weather conditions. Extreme weather conditions pretty much means winter and summer....lol....If you are living in an area where the winter temps get below freezing you have a number of problems on your hands....

Unlike an apartment (that was built to certain local building codes) it has well insulated windows, floors, walls, ceilings etc, an RV is not built within those same standards, in fact most are built as cheaply as possible.

If you are someplace that has cold winters, many of the campgrounds close for the winter season or at least turn off their water supply. They do this because again RV's are not designed for winter camping. Most RV's have exposed water lines that freeze in cold weather, these will then bust and you have a whole new set of problems on your hands. You can outfit your RV to handle these types of weather conditions but will cost you X number of dollars depending on your unit. Trying to keep that small RV warm in the winter will cost you much more in electricity and propane then what you would spend in a much larger apartment.

I could go on and on about problems you will encounter. Depending on which city or state you live in they may consider living in a RV in a campground as being homeless, so trying to set up you postal mailing address and the issues of not having a permanent address to give your employers, insurance companies, local banks, schools, loan companies etc will all come into play and things you will have to deal with everyday.......

Yes the romance and freedom that everyone wants by living in a RV, traveling the country and doing what you want, when you want is out there, but itís at a very high price.....Wanting to live in a RV for a year or so because you think will save you money from living in a house or apartment is just a fairy tale because itís just not true...
Wonderful post! One I hope the OP takes into serious consideration before leaping ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing