Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 AM

51 posts, read 77,869 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are new to the whole RV thing. We've just moved to Monterey California from Australia, and will be here for two years. We think an RV could be a great option to get out and see the country a bit. We'e keen to find out about hire costs - they seem to vary and are a bit confusing. Any recommendations for good companies, or other advice?

Thanks,

Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroc View Post
We've just moved to Monterey California from Australia, and will be here for two years.
Very nice! The central coast is on my short list (for after the lottery win).

Quote:
We're keen to find out about hire costs - they seem to vary and are a bit confusing.
Nothing specific beyond them being VERY pricey...
and that "America's Best" has a decent rep and seems to have a lock on the market.

Quote:
Any recommendations for good companies, or other advice?
The deal with owning RV's (I have one) is about being "on the road" for an extended period
or staying in one location for an extended period... where you can have your own bed and teapot
and all the other comforts of home with you... or at least ones you're familiar with.

Most of that applies to renting or hiring as well... but the economics of fuel costs (@8mpg!),
let alone the daily rental rates, are really hard to justify vs the cost of a passenger car and motels
for the shorter trips and with rather few exceptions (like remote spots) the shorter stays.

So... how do you plan to do this "get out and see the country a bit" exploratory traveling?
Fly to various areas and rent an RV for a week's exploring once there?
Or drive the long distances needed to get away from the Central Coast and Cali in general?

See where I'm going with this?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Thoroughly digest this thread
RV rental for cross country trip

My recommendation is to buy a nice "rust free" west coast rig and drive it to the east coast (rust belt) and sell it.

If you go as big as a Class A, BE SURE to have one with slide-outs, as those without are hard to sell. I would also want to have a diesel pusher (better economy / higher resale)

Personally. I would use a Class B, probably a Roadtrek. (Van conversion)

There are MANY cheap ones in San Diego / and Phoenix (retiree meccas). Need to shop diligently.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I think what kind of RV you would buy or rent would depend on what kind of traveling you want to do, what you want to see of the country.

A big bus-type RV isn't going to be as flexible if you want to visit national parks and more remote camping areas like in wilderness areas and national forests and parks. Or would you travel and stay in RV parks that can accomodate the bigger RV?

If you're new to RV's you might want to check out some area RV parks and some campgrounds -- such as KOA and see what might appeal to you.

I would also agree that a Class B or compact RV might be the way to go -- depending on what it is you want to do and where you want to go with the RV. They would be easier to drive, park, set up since they're basically vans. You can take them into smaller campgrounds, they would be easier in national parks.

I've never rented an RV but I've seen these on the road and in campgrounds I've stayed in:

Cruise America: Compact RV Rental Model

If you're going to use it enough during two years, it might be easier and cheaper just to buy one and then sell it when you're done. One very big advantage in any kind of RV is that you can just keep them ready to hit the road, if you own it, you can keep your traveling supplies in it and never need to do much packing up or unpacking.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM

215 posts, read 569,271 times
We hired one from Road Bear 3 years ago, near San Francisco, we hired via motorhomebookers.com as was cheaper than from Road Bear directly. We found them good, better than Moturis who we rented from a year ago in North Carolina.
I love Monterey, lucky you!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I looked into renting a small class-B motor home a few years ago and got turned off at the expense of $750 per week and on top of that a mileage charge and i pay for all the gas, well we ended up going in my car and packed tent and camping gear,ended up using a motel just 3 nights in 3 weeks the rest of the time we set up the tent every night.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
will be here for two years.
You definitely can't afford to rent for 2 yrs. The rental companies charge $600 - $1200 / week and have a waiting list of potential renters.

You can BUY for much less than rental (hire) price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing