Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times

Advertisements

I guess I was typing my last post as you posted yours, Summer.

To answer your question about break-ins, I visit a couple RV boards on a regular basis and can't recall ever reading about a burglary, but the doors would be easy to open with a crowbar. Most have deadbolt locks installed, and that would help, but the doors themselves are built from light aluminum. I've owned campers for decades and have never had a problem, but I did have my car broken into one night -- window smashed out, some minor stuff swiped. One of those things that happens sometimes at hotel parking lots.

Yes, truck campers are the cheap way to RV if you have a truck. Upkeep cost is minimal, no license plate required. I never carried insurance on mine, because none were of much value. I'm sure insurance would be pretty inexpensive if you feel you need it.

I'd suggest that you start visiting RV dealers now to get an idea of what would work for you, particularly if you're thinking about getting a half-ton pickup. That really limits you to the size of camper. And if you do decide that a half-ton is what you want, be sure to get a heavy-duty-half with camping package. Some of the new ones will carry as much as my old F250. DO NOT rely on what a salesman tells you the truck will haul -- not a car/truck salesman and certainly not an RV salesman.

I also suggest you visit the RV.net board. It's probably the largest RVing board on the internet, and you'll find lots of folks there happy to answer your questions about class B RVs, Truck Campers (TC) or any other RV you're interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
One thing about camping -- there sure are a lot of choices in ways to camp.

I agree that one of the best things to do is go to an RV show or dealership where they don't follow you around and put pressure on you. That's the only way I'll end up buying anything anyhow is to just be allowed to look around, take my time, decide for myself and then talk to a salesperson.

Those new ultralight pop-up pick-up campers look like a pretty good way to go, maybe not if you're bringing several kids but for one to two people they would work.

There's a camping option for all budgets and preferences -- although some budgets and preferences might not match up.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Do consider your climate and destinations. I attended a very nice "Teardrop' convention this weekend, BUT.... like a pickup camper, you will be OUTSIDE getting from vehicle to bed or kitchen. That does not work well in a climate with 280 days / yr of rain. (I like my van more after that thought). Tents / popups get old after a few days of putting them away wet.

If you have a different schedule than partner, have a rotten campsite, getting rained out, or can't sleep; it can be nice (and productive) to climb into the seat and make some tracks while SO stays sleeping.

I also REALLY like the van for taking a nap (if I'm early for appointment, or just tired (or just ate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing