Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 AM

363 posts, read 988,451 times

Advertisements

You will be hard pressed to find a decent diesel vehicle in that price range. Maybe an older Suburban with the old Chevy 6.5 diesel, but those where some of the the most unreliable diesel engines ever produced. You best bet to tow a trailer over 6500 pounds would be a used Ford Excursion or a Ford E350 with the 6.8 V10 engine. Even if you tried to go to an Expedition or 1500 Suburban you will limit the size and weight of the trailer to match your needs. Even though some of those vehicles will boast impressive weight limits for towing, with 6 passengers you will quickly exceed the GVWR of you tow vehicle leaving little capacity left for the tongue weight of the trailer. Most trailers over about 26 feet will have loaded tongue weight approaching 800- 1000 pound putting a 1/2 ton vehicle over weight. It will not be a pleasant experience. Even brand new 2500 Suburbans only come with 6 liter engine and a factory hitch with a max weight rating of 1000 pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
" It will not be a pleasant experience. Even brand new 2500 Suburbans only come with 6 liter engine and a factory hitch with a max weight rating of 1000 pounds."

That is why you use a weight distributing hitch or none of them would be able to tow it with out upgrading the tow-bar/hitch to a much more substantial hitch.
And even then you would want to put some weight back on the front axle and use a weight distributing hitch.

fuel millage.
The price of diesel fuel has fallen to prices below what of gasoline.
Gas is now also low on sulfur thus the price differentiation.
this increased the cost of production.
A diesel vehicle will get better fuel millage that the gas tow vehicle when loaded down and towing.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Even with a weight distribution hitch you will exceed the weight limits of many of those vehicles. Most factory hitches are rated for 300-500 pounds before WDH is necessary, but even adding a WDH the tongue weight will still have to be added to your tow vehicle's GVWR. And while I agree with what you said about towing with diesel, the OP stated a budget of 10K. You will hard pressed to find a used diesel in that price range.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Most factory hitches are rated for 300-500 pounds before WDH is necessary, but even adding a WDH the tongue weight will still have to be added to your tow vehicle's GVWR.
A 3/4 ton will have the GVWR to more than handle a 30ft TT.

The weight is distributed to the tow vehicles front axle and to the trailers axle(s) with a weight distributing hitch.
With the weight distributing hitch you will be picking up on your hitch.
Raising the rear of the tow vehicle back to it's original height and pushing down on the front of the tow vehicle to lower it back to it's original height

Without it you will be adding all the weight to your rear axle and taking weight off of the front axle.
As the TT rocks forward your hitch weights could go up over the limits of your hitch.

To actually know your weights you will need to visit the local scale.

ps do a quick search like I did and you will find many vehicles in there price range.

Last edited by snofarmer; 07-02-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM

That's why I recommended an Excursion or E350, about the only 2 vehicles in that price range that can be had for that price in decent shape. My local classifieds have quite a few V10 powered excursions under 10K. My GVWR comments were directed at those who try to haul long heavy trailers with half ton vehicles like Expeditions and Suburbans. It is easy to exceed the weights and the short wheel base with long trailers will make towing such a white knuckle experience that it puts people in danger. I learned the hard way years ago trying to tow a Jayco 27BH with a 2002 Suburban. And WDH can be tricky too. Most people have thier dealer set them up when they purchase a trailer when the trailer is empty. Then they go go and load all their cargo and hit the road with an improperly adjusted hitch swaying all aover the road as they try to drive 70mph to their destination.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

I agree, a long tt can quickly be to much for a 1/2 ton suburban or any 1/2 ton
but They do make 3/4 ton suburbans.

I always recommend more tow vehicle than is necessary over one that may get you by, for safety and comfort.

Sway can be from a improperly set up hitch( ball to high, nose high trailer) but it is mostly from putting to much behind the TT's axle, or to little hitch weight.

At first a weight distributing hitch can be intimating but once you learn how it works they become very simple to set up properly.IMO

Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Snofarmer and phone man... what *else* do you use your pulling vehicles for?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM

215 posts, read 569,105 times
Thanks for the replies. To elaborate, we live in Asheville, NC in the mountains, we would aim to take the trailer out for camping at least one weekend a month over the 3 or 4 month summer, locally, say two hours away max. Perhaps also a couple of longer trips a year of a week each.
The Excursion we saw may have sold, struggling to find others at such good price, husband would have used for work (property refurbs). seen Expeditions that I could drive as my Daily car but now worry won't tow enough for us. Looking for 2500 Suburbans, more expensive and not many around here.
I know it is cheaper to do tents/ motels but not the same. We got spoilt during two holidays where we hired a 32ft motorhome!
I guess alternative to trailers are pop ups but heard they can be a hassle. Difficult as want to look at various used TTs etc but Camping World here was limited in choice and sales guy a total moron!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Snofarmer and phone man... what *else* do you use your pulling vehicles for?

Mine is my daily driver. 2000 Ford Excursion V10. Gets about 11mpg around town, but my daily commute is 4 miles one way.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM

215 posts, read 569,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
Mine is my daily driver. 2000 Ford Excursion V10. Gets about 11mpg around town, but my daily commute is 4 miles one way.
I don't drive many miles daily, but the Excursion seems so big, that is why i thought my husband can use for work instead of his work van, then i'd have got a smaller run around still 6 seats needed though, however if the Excursion we looked has sold I can not find others cheap enough to allow this. So then back to Expeditions or Suburbans most likely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing