Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times

Advertisements

Sloppy Spam. I'll have to remember that one. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,998,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I can make sun tea....
LOl!!! I just bet that comes in handy sometimes. What do you make on a cloudy day?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
I live in Oregon. I boil my "sun tea".

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
... As my wife opened the can to make sloppy Joes on the portable grill she realized there was a problem. There WAS no ground meat. She didn't buy any because "it was in the picture on the can," so she assumed it had meat inside as well. So instead, we had a hearty meal of sloppy Spam....

Funniest post I've read all week!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
... we had a hearty meal of sloppy Spam.
I will pass that on to a cousin who spent a career as a tour guide in the SPAM factory in MN.

Camping has made me pretty creative. I was a conventional thinker and hadn't imagined the benefit of PB&J for breakfast before an early morning hike or canoe trip. (Very fast to 'get going', EZ to transport / eat (& smash) enroute).

I have given up on Bananas when camping, they seem to always end up UNDER something really heavy.

Cheese and crackers (occasional meat) became a mainstay while traveling Europe (couldn't afford the cost or TIME of eating out very often as family).

The kids were REALLY HAPPY when we finally sprung for a hotel w/ breakfast

Melba Toast and cold cuts were not high on their wish list.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
At least he will have the process refined in time for Thanksgiving. That feast date is popular with trucker/chefs. You can use the Turbo area for Baked potatoes and the intake side as a 'warmer' (depends on where you are trucking that day, and weather challanges).

BOT: Hobo stew has always been a camping favorite (and somewhat of a chide), as I THOUGHT I brought the frozen meat on a 26 mile backpacking trip shortly after Honeymoon, BUT, when opened it was a frozen pastry.
Hobo Stew REQUIRES the meat / grease to cook the veggies. We had a very crunchy meal (eating raw potatoes with down mittens on). I lost A LOT of points on that trip.
Quote:
Stealth -

I have a similar story; my wife had been camping with her family for years - first in a converted van, then in a class C. But, her mom was always in charge of the shopping, obviously.

Anyhow, the year after we married, we rented a Grand Caravan, took out the two rows of back seats and planned a trip from NJ to Michigan's UP, sleeping in the back of the van at night. On our first night, we set up camp to have dinner. As my wife opened the can to make sloppy Joes on the portable grill she realized there was a problem. There WAS no ground meat. She didn't buy any because "it was in the picture on the can," so she assumed it had meat inside as well. So instead, we had a hearty meal of sloppy Spam.

We have camped every year since - now in a travel trailer with our 2 kids - and the shopping has never been an issue again (although it remains one of my favorite camping experiences).

LMAO! Great stories! NJ07035, I could see my younger self doing something like this!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Id be really nervous about chemicals leaching out of the plastic.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 19,902 times
Banana Boats: Slice a banana length wise just not all the way through so the peel is still intact on one edge, fill with brown sugar, mini chocolate chips & mini marshmallows, wrap up in foil and put on grate over fire for approx. 10 mins. Yummm

Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit20 View Post
Banana Boats: Slice a banana length wise just not all the way through so the peel is still intact on one edge, fill with brown sugar, mini chocolate chips & mini marshmallows, wrap up in foil and put on grate over fire for approx. 10 mins. Yummm
That sounds awesome!!!!

I'm going to post something in the chat thread...

Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit20 View Post
OMG!! We just did these and they are fantastic. here's what we did.

WASH BANANA!!

Cut the ends off and slice the peel and the banana , but not all the way thru. Spray a piece of foil ( I used heavy duty) with cooking spray.

Pry the peel back and the banana open as far as you can.

STUFF inside the brown sugar, mini chocolate chips then marshmallows.

Wrap the foil lightly around and place on low heat. we used a gas grill and closed the lid. Let cook 10 minutes. put on plate and open foil. CAUTION!! WILL BE HOT. We ate with a fork because it was hot, but it was awesome!!!! Thanks exit20 for posting this!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing