U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,550,785 times

Advertisements

Assuming normal usage (4 or 5 urinations and 1 or 2 fecals and 1 shower per day for 2 people), about how long can you go without having to have the holding tanks emptied or filled with water? Assuming I wanted to park it for a month, how often would I have to hook up and pull it to some place where I could empty out the sewer water and fill it with new water? Do any parks have the kinds of hook ups where you don't have to move it to do this? I am thinking a 20 to 30 foot after retirement so I can escape from Chicago in the winter.

Last edited by C. Maurio; 12-25-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,800 posts, read 37,476,508 times
Most can hold 5 days, (varies greatly by user and equip.)

Most established RV parks have sewer hookups. Many rest areas have 'dumps'.

Not sure about All Army Corp Campgrounds, but they are VERY nice, some surely have full service sites (I usually tent in Corp campsites).

Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
I don't think it's too hard to find parks with sewer hookups.

Also you can stay in parks that don't have them and use the park showers and toilets a lot of the time whcih stretches the time out.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 16,524,951 times
The holding tank sizes vary pretty widely too. Some might hold 3-4 times what another one will, so it's hard to say how long they'll last you. And the length/type of showers you take makes a big difference. Usually when not hooked to water/sewer we'll take "navy" showers -- turn the water on to get wet, soap up, turn the water on to rinse. I can take a good shower with 2-3 gallons of water; my wife has waist-length, thick hair, so it takes an extra gallon just to rinse the shampoo. (Another benefit of being bald!)

But as others have said, water and sewer hook-ups are common. If you're staying in an "RV park" they all have them. If you're in a city park campsite or NFS campsite, they may not. We prefer to "dry camp" in national park and forest service campgrounds and can get by for 5 days without moving. Some of the bigger campgrounds also have "honey wagons" that will empty your black tanks on a regular basis for a small fee.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,333,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Assuming normal usage (4 or 5 urinations and 1 or 2 fecals and 1 shower per day for 2 people), about how long can you go without having to have the holding tanks emptied or filled with water?
No one can answer that. It depends on the size of all those tanks mentioned and how little water you can use to bathe and wash your hair with. Many campgrounds and resorts have sewer and water and electric hookups so it wont matter.

Quote:
Assuming I wanted to park it for a month, how often would I have to hook up and pull it to some place where I could empty out the sewer water and fill it with new water?
If you're extremely careful with water usage, every few days. Are you looking to avoid campgrounds?

Quote:
Do any parks have the kinds of hook ups where you don't have to move it to do this? I am thinking a 20 to 30 foot after retirement so I can escape from Chicago in the winter.
Of course they do. Check out RV and iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News . Have you Googled campgrounds and RV Resorts yet?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,333,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Most can hold 5 days, (varies greatly by user and equip.)

Most established RV parks have sewer hookups. Many rest areas have 'dumps'.

Not sure about All Army Corp Campgrounds, but they are VERY nice, some surely have full service sites (I usually tent in Corp campsites).
The COEs are 50% off with a Senior Card but they seldom have sewers at the sites. Just water and electricity. You can only stay 14 days. They all have dump-stations.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
11104 Barker 22 Gallon RV Tote-Along Portable Holding Tank

Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM

26,859 posts, read 57,900,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I am thinking a 20 to 30 foot after retirement so I can escape from Chicago in the winter.
How far south from Chicago do you plan/expect to go for this escaping thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing