Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM

430 posts, read 640,088 times

Advertisements

i'm somewhat sensitive to the materials used in typical rv and camper construction, so we're looking into tiny homes and container homes as alternatives.
i'm also thinking of resale down the road.
we're thinking we'll mostly be snowbirds who travel during the months of april and october to our northern and southern campsites, staying in each place for five months.
my early research suggests that campers lose their value before motor homes, and tiny homes and containers hold their value longer. that could be the novelty factor at work, i wonder what your observations and thoughts are on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,473,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
we're looking into tiny homes and container homes as alternatives.
i'm also thinking of resale down the road.
Don't bother.
These sorts of novelty things are an expense done in lieu of paying hotel or resort fees...
they really can not be considered as an asset like regular houses or condo's.

That doesn't mean to not do it. Go forth and enjoy.
Just don't put too much cash in or expect to have re-sale value when you're done.

Unless they can be removed easily by a new owner (when you're done)
even the land they're on is likely to lose value.

hth

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM

32,491 posts, read 47,447,506 times
It depends.

Are you going to buy the land that the tiny home is placed on? Your land should retain good resale value, or even go up in value. This darn recession can't last forever.

Both campers and motor homes lose value fast, like a car. They are not an investment. They are a lifestyle and they cost you money that you will never get back.

I don't think a tiny home located in a rented space in an RV park would have much resale value. On it's own land, you would get the land value back plus perhaps the cost of building the tiny home. It would help if it is situated correctly and placed so that it can be converted to a guest house. Also, it would help if the house is really cute and well landscaped.

If sensitivities to construction materials is the only issue, you also have the option of purchasing an aluminum horse trailer and converting that, using only materials that you can tolerate.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,505,129 times
I would buy a couple QUALITY - USED camping trailers (fiberglass panels built on Aluminum structures). or a 70's vintage Airstream. ~$3000 - $5000. I would leave them on or near your destinations. (I am setting up 4 places in different parts of USA that will be rentals with RV hookups / storage for myself and others, and I FLY between, or drive a 50 mpg 'grease-car'.)

Tiny home is NOT light or strong enough for considerable towing. You will be hard pressed to build a Tiny home for $10k, and the commercial built ones are 3x that.

A GOOD INSULATED container box costs $3000 +. They will NOT be allowed in camping parks, nor are they EZ to move and they are HEAVY to tow around. You will spend another $10k building it into a camper.

I will be using them for mobile shops (I have wood, auto, welding and metal. I can hitch to whatever one I want, or tow triples in some states. ... I have my own semi Tractor) THIS is not cheap either... FUEL, INSURANCE LICENSE tags (GTM), and $300/ each for tires... (28 total for 3 containers + Tractor).

For another idea, consider a Yurt and a utility trailer. or put a Yurt on property at each destination and commute via plane. (fuel is a KILLER especialy tugging around an RV).

Consider a B (conversion van RV), or an econo (grease) car and tow a Teardrop. I expect to get 40+ mpg with my Passat / teardrop combo.. AND it has a 25 gal tank, so 1000 miles between Chinese / Mex cafes that have the BEST grease for FREE fuel. I am installing a Motor-Aide HWH so I will have outdoor HOT shower after 10 min drive.

Many options... Don't complicate if possible. As mentioned... ODD stuff is HARD to get rid of, and just might not be very desireable. Lots of folks have gone before U. Learn from their mistakes, FAR cheaper. There are several GREAT sites for this type of living. Especially popular with Buses... (They are not cheap to Fix / tow)

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM

430 posts, read 640,088 times
thank you for your thoughts.
but lol i'm trying to get past camping out of my horse trailer!
we've got a sweet piece of land and i believe we'll build a tiny cottage on it for summer living and travel by camper and truck--i already drive a one ton dually and we've found a camper which may suit us.
the tiny cottage and the land is an excellent investment so i'm a happy camper!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,473,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
We've got a sweet piece of land and i believe we'll build a tiny cottage on it for summer living...
the tiny cottage and the land is an excellent investment so i'm a happy camper!
Sounds like a winner to me.
This far more traditional approach will make more economic sense as well.

less than 1000SF cottage plans:
Cottage Home Plans, Small House Plans, Cabin Plans, Small Homes by Ross Chapin Architects

Their 750SF model "Lizzie":
Attached Thumbnails
tiny home vs rv/camper when considering resale value?-lizzie01a.jpg  

Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,505,129 times
As part of the cottage plan... I usually buld a shop w/ apartment on site first, then hunt for materials for the house and build it when I have enoughto dry it in.

Most of my materials comes from Habitat ReStore or local deconstruction outlet (local non-profit).
The ReBuilding Center | Quality Used Building and Remodeling Materials | Portland OR

I usually end up ~ $40/sf finished, including stonework, and 100% natural wood trim (and GOOD windows and doors).

once I build a nice 'daylight basement' 3 car garage and added a 'swiss chalet' on top. That was really swell ~ 800SF with 400SF of loft.

I always build with daylight basements, as it make for a warm place in winter and cool in summer. I am experimenting with Annualized Solar on next place. (Heating ground under house in summer for slow release in winter)

OT... there are many ways to accomplish similar housing options (cottages) with various RVs. BUT tugging them from place to place is NOT too practical. I met a family living in a Yurt, it seemed reasonable for their situation (nice REMOTE lot) no money to run power / water and VERY tough to get cement truck into the building site.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,138,607 times
If you've already got a 1-ton dually, don't consider a motorhome. That should handle all but the biggest and heaviest 5ers. And if you're concerned with depreciation, buy used. Find a good 4 to 6-year-old camper and the depreciation shouldn't be too bad... if you buy it right.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,355,199 times
If you're looking for a new camper but, are concerned with the materials, any RV manufacturer will custom make one for you. It's not that much more expensive as you'll only be exchanging certain materials, glues and chemicals (whatever you're sensitive of). A lot of people have custom ordered furniture, wallpaper, bath fixtures, entertainment systems, and floorplans. Check with any good dealership as the manufacturers probably don't want retail customers calling and custom orders from dealers are common.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,088,466 times
For resale, nothing beats an airstream.

I've lived in mine for the last 3 months.

Hart to beat for towing, could be bigger for living in (Few have slide outs) but they LAST and don;t leak like others do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing