U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,361,823 times

Advertisements

Nothing beats cooking over a wood fire on a metal grate in the mountain wilderness, washing your pots in a pristine stream, and feeling cool breezes tickle your collar. As nightfall descends, listening to the lonely cackle of excited coyotes in the distance while you stare at the blazing red embers and twigs snapping fiercely in your fire pit. Curling woodsmoke and glowing warmth are your close allies under a stark and inky sky jeweled with the endless shimmer of faraway stars like diamond chips poured onto a glorious splash of black velvet, quietly winking their witness to your freedom. Flames and visions and sweet gales bring you out of madness to settle your mind in ways you half expected you might never imagine again...yet somehow there you are by some quaint touch of fate, hidden in the midst of nature's sweet tapestry: alive, vibrant, and beckoning from the very heart of the universe to sing a special magic to the depths of your soul.
You leave the mountains but the mountains never leave you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,151,765 times
You said it, I love camping in the mountians. Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,934,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
Nothing beats cooking over a wood fire on a metal grate in the mountain wilderness, washing your pots in a pristine stream, and feeling cool breezes tickle your collar. As nightfall descends, listening to the lonely cackle of excited coyotes in the distance while you stare at the blazing red embers and twigs snapping fiercely in your fire pit. Curling woodsmoke and glowing warmth are your close allies under a stark and inky sky jeweled with the endless shimmer of faraway stars like diamond chips poured onto a glorious splash of black velvet, quietly winking their witness to your freedom. Flames and visions and sweet gales bring you out of madness to settle your mind in ways you half expected you might never imagine again...yet somehow there you are by some quaint touch of fate, hidden in the midst of nature's sweet tapestry: alive, vibrant, and beckoning from the very heart of the universe to sing a special magic to the depths of your soul.
Nice read.I use to go camping all the time and I really miss the one on one with nature.I have now gone from roughing it to Luxury cabins.

You can't beat the mountains and nature.IMO

Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,720,884 times
Excellent post, Nilsson. If you are ever in East Ky. you are welcome to camp in my mountains..There is one in front, in the back, and both sides I believe you could possibly see a bear, plenty deer, and possibly a bobcat or two and an elk.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,069,359 times
I can do that in the backyard in Anchorage! LOL. No bobcats, but moose and bear.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
My favorite part of camping was the cooking outdoors. There was so much preparation: hiking up, picking the spot, pitching the tent, setting everything up--but then, for awhile, you had your own little corner of the woods.
I loved cooking dinner over the little stove. Maybe some red wine, too.
Breakfast was the best. I never slept very well when we camped, and I really looked forward to the coffee.

One Memorial Day weekend we went camping up near Steamboat Springs in the Rockies and got snowed on the first night. We sat in the Strawberry Hot Springs while the flakes fell around us.
The next day, we were out there fishing and it was warm enough for me and my friend to wear our bikini tops. My then-boyfriend-now-husband and his buddy caught 8 trout.
What a breakfast that was. There is no meal in the world as tasty as fresh-caught fish cooked outside, shared with good friends.

We always packed everything out--left the place as pristine as we found it.
These days, the only "camping" we do is bringing chairs and coolers to the beach--and the occasional beach bonfire.
But we have some mighty good memories. Thanks, nilssson.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 AM

11,436 posts, read 17,151,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
My favorite part of camping was the cooking outdoors. There was so much preparation: hiking up, picking the spot, pitching the tent, setting everything up--but then, for awhile, you had your own little corner of the woods.
I loved cooking dinner over the little stove. Maybe some red wine, too.
Breakfast was the best. I never slept very well when we camped, and I really looked forward to the coffee.

One Memorial Day weekend we went camping up near Steamboat Springs in the Rockies and got snowed on the first night. We sat in the Strawberry Hot Springs while the flakes fell around us.
The next day, we were out there fishing and it was warm enough for me and my friend to wear our bikini tops. My then-boyfriend-now-husband and his buddy caught 8 trout.
What a breakfast that was. There is no meal in the world as tasty as fresh-caught fish cooked outside, shared with good friends.

We always packed everything out--left the place as pristine as we found it.
These days, the only "camping" we do is bringing chairs and coolers to the beach--and the occasional beach bonfire.
But we have some mighty good memories. Thanks, nilssson.
Breakfast and coffee are my favorites when camping, I don't even eat breakfast at home and I sleep like a log when I camp

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 AM

2,639 posts, read 6,032,720 times
To be honest the "lonely cackle of excited coyotes" is the last thing I'd want to hear, especially at night.

I enjoy mountain camping just so long as I don't have to get up close and personal with any large, carnivorous wildlife and there's a nice lake or river for me to bathe in. I can't stand going for more than a day or two without a good wash (yes, I'm a wuss ).

Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,184,298 times
I love camping in the mountains, but sadly has been awhile. Used to hike Estes Park and hiked in to remote campsite overnite. No car camping there! No stoves, radios, TVs or other amenities. Just a bunsen burner, small water filter, oatmeal and coffee and my sleeping bag! No other experience like waking up half buried in snow! Then a "sponge bath" in the freezing stream! Miss those days! Last big hike in the mountains of Utah. Stayed in luxury hotel instead of camping.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 AM

21,640 posts, read 30,253,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
AMEN! Boy can I relate to that statement! I LOVE the mountains of N.C.!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing