U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 AM

84 posts, read 271,184 times

Advertisements

With all of the RVs around, what is your opinion of the top quality/value in a 5th wheel and tow vehicle.

I am looking for something that will take 10-15k miles a year for a decade.

What about service after the sale......both dealer and manufacturer?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:04 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,444,463 times
Well, I can't say much about the fifth wheels, but for a tow vehicle, you should be fine with a truck from any of the big 3 companies. Depending on the size of the trailer, you may want to go with a diesel pickup. I have several friends who have diesels from the big 3 companies, and they all like their trucks. With the number of miles you're projecting for the next decade (up to 150K), I don't think you are too likely to have problems with any of them. Since the miles you're projecting are relatively low, there may not be much advantage to going with a diesel, because the cost is greater, and the amount of time it takes to break even could be a very long time in your situation.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,352 times
Well.... the best advice I can give is to ask yourself a few basic questions first. Are you going to be a weekend camper or full-timer? If a weekender, smaller will work better for you. State parks sometimes have a hard time handling big rigs. Full-timer or cross-country vacationer, you'll find you want more room. Will the rig be in cold weather? Some rigs are not built for cold weather, some can have a four-season package.

When it comes to a truck-- remember to check your weight! A 3/4 ton is needed for most, but a 1 ton will be necessary for some of the larger rigs. Be sure to include the weight you will be adding to the rig with your "stuff". We pull our 38" fiver with a Duramax Diesel.

Some of the top names when it comes to fivers include Teton, Travel Supreme, Newmar, Excel. Holiday Rambler, Forest River, and Mobile Suites make some very nice trailers also.

After you decide the basic size you need, pick a floor plan you like and go from there.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,298,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytoon View Post
With all of the RVs around, what is your opinion of the top quality/value in a 5th wheel and tow vehicle.
Value? I don't think it exists or is even an issue. It's a lifestyle choice. You choose to travel in an RV because it provides a method of travel that you enjoy, takes you to the places you want to visit, and provides you a type of living arrangement that you like when you're away from home. Otherwise, you'd be staying in hotels, because it met your needs better. That's just my opinion.

Here's pic of my 5er and TV:

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/rt-rear.jpg (broken link)

. . . and here's a pic of the same 5er, but with my previous TV, a diesel F550, which was stressed with the weight of the RV. The truc was just barely within its capacities and the engine turned out to not be up to the task. It went back to Ford on a buyback. So, here's the pic:

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/on_the_road_too.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
What about service after the sale......both dealer and manufacturer?
If you were to go to the various RV sites, like rv.net, irv2.com, and escapees.com, and read through their discussion forums, you will quickly come to a conclusion. It would be that manfacturers tend to not have any quality control department. It seems that they use their customers for that purpose when they return their RV's for warranty repairs, much of which is just plain old poor workmanship. Now, that's a big generalization that doesn't apply to everyone, but it's common enough to be worthy of being said. Again, that's my opinion and also my experience.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 AM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,352 times
Absolutely beautiful rig garth! I forgot Carriage when I was mentioning top fivers. How much does your Royals weigh?

We are getting ready to trade from a fiver to a Class A diesel pusher and I am so excited. But then again, I agree with you on quality issues. We have had excellent service from Monaco, sometimes over and above what needed to be done, but I am a little worried since this rig has been a joy with no major problems and I seem to read about a lot of problems any more quite frequently on rv.net.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Thanks. I've got this one loaded to about 22,000+ pounds when we leave for a trip. A friend has his Teton loaded to 24,000 pounds. They're certainly heavy and well in excess of any 1-ton pickup's ratings.

If you're going from a 5er to a Type A, you're going the way most people go. We went from a 2000 Newmar Moutain Aire diesel to our 5er. That's not the direction most people go.

As for "problems," I've read a lot about them too. So much so that I don't even go to rv.net anymore. I was one of the posters discussing quality control issues when I first bought my current RV and F550 a few years back.

What seems to happen is that the people who have experienced quality control problems will post about it and then the apologists come out. One is upset that their 100K 200K, 300K or greater RV was put together by one-handed apes and the other doesn't offer help but tells them they're the exception to the rule. Rather than a discussion, it just degenerates from that point on.

That's why I tend to avoid that site. Instead, I head over to Escapees and their discussion forum. The people tend to be more expereinced RV'ers and interact in a more constructive manner. Here's the link to their discussion forum if you haven't been there: RV Discussion Forum (http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x - broken link)

Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,444,463 times
Garth,
The second photo you posted with your old tow vehicle looks like it was taken in Coso Junction on Highway 395. Do you remember if that's where it was? I love the Owens Valley and Eastern Sierra. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful rig, by the way.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks, yup, it was on US395. It was probably Coso Junction, or at least one of the rest stops/exits close to that area.

The first one was taken in Orlando, FL, last Christmas. So, I can attest that that RV has been from coast to coast, multiple times, so I guess it' not too bad for an RV.

Last edited by garth; 11-01-2007 at 11:06 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 PM

859 posts, read 1,901,514 times
holy wowzwers.. thats a awsome set up garth !
Were hoping next year we will be getting a camper... cant wait. getting too old for the tent thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or