U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,839,293 times

Advertisements

If I get a class A either new or used what fuel type engine is my best choice?Seems price is about the same now a days for the fuel.Also what Brand is the best rated on a deisel engine as far as repair history?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,498,951 times
While gas may be cheaper, a diesel will get better millage.
A diesel will get you over that mountain with less strain.
A diesel doesn't vapor loc in high altitudes like a gas engine can.

A cummins engine would be my first choice.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
depends on your desires, and your travel plans. If LOTS of road miles and long term vehicle in your fleet, the diesel is benefit.

If you are parking this thing for 50 wks a yr and driving to the beach (or short trips), gas will do.

Diesel will probably have the best resale and longevity. Cummins with allison Tranny is probably the most bullet-proof (depending on previous use and maint).

Some folk do not like diesel smell. If that is you, don't get one.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Are you feeling ok?

you're actually saying good things about gassers?

"stink"
It's gone way down with the ULSD fuel.
Unless you keep your head in front of the tail pipe it really isn't a issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Some folk do not like diesel smell. If that is you, don't get one.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
The word from my son who is a mechanic and owns a diesel pickup for himself:

A diesel engine will last forever if you treat it right. 100,000 miles is barely broken in. For no explicable reason, diesel fuel now costs more than gasoline.

However, congress has enacted a law removing ????? (I don't remember what it is) and that ????? was what kept the engine lubricated, so it could be that trouble is coming down the road for diesel engines. My son has a little bottle of additive that he puts into the tank every time he fills up, to replace the stuff that has been removed.

He prefers cummins engines, both in his pickup and in his tractor/trailer.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
I have an additional suggestion. Before buying, go down to the mechanics that work on that model and ask them how often they will see one in the shop and how easy it is to work on.

If you are buying a gasoline engine, make sure the spark plugs are accessible without removing the body from the vehicle. or your tuneups will require you to take out a mortgage on the house in order to pay for them.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM

ULSD ultra low sulfur diesel.
15ppm max. most fuel is closer to 8-9 ppm as 15 is a max.
The oil industry has told congress and the EPA that 8-9 ppm is going to be all they will/can remove.

Sulfur was never a lube, no matter what you read.
Source, the American petroleum institute.

When they remove the sulfur the lubricity is also removed from the fuel.
They put additives back into the fuel to bring the lubricity back up.

Every engine manufacturer says NO additives of any kind are needed.

can you use additives sure.
it's an insurance policy for gelling in the winter, water, and some added (lubricity if you think it's necessary(if it makes you sleep better at night, lol).

next what additives , use only additives approved for diesels and do not use any alcohol ie IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The word from my son who is a mechanic and owns a diesel pickup for himself:

A diesel engine will last forever if you treat it right. 100,000 miles is barely broken in. For no explicable reason, diesel fuel now costs more than gasoline.

However, congress has enacted a law removing ????? (I don't remember what it is) and that ????? was what kept the engine lubricated, so it could be that trouble is coming down the road for diesel engines. My son has a little bottle of additive that he puts into the tank every time he fills up, to replace the stuff that has been removed.

He prefers cummins engines, both in his pickup and in his tractor/trailer.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 AM

10,945 posts, read 14,584,566 times
Anti gel additive is all I use, and that's only if I can't find winter blend fuel.. My Cummins has 190K and hasn't skipped a beat. (98.5 2500 Ram carrying a Hallmark pop-up camper)

Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Are you feeling ok?

you're actually saying good things about gassers?

"stink"
I am always running up against those who complain about diesel smell, especially in motorhomes. So... I suggest if it bothers them, NOT to bring the additional strife to their life. Also there are those who read how diesel exhaust of school buses is killing kids like flies... so... they are best not availed to the wonderful world of an oil burner.

Now for me.... I was weaned on the smoke stack of a tractor, and have to have a good snort of unburnt diesel exhaust just to get me going in the morning (I don't do coffee.... can't stand the smell ). I'm sure I will die any day from my diesel exposure and I also grew up UNDER power lines and on Uranium Rich Colorado Soil... I'm doomed (but I'm insured).

For additives, (needed due to lose of lubricity in removing sulfur, and the additional chemicals added to diesel for emission reduction (?)

I use Stanadyne, or Redline, or Amsoil fuel treatments in my Dino diesels. I burns me up to have a leaky $600 injection pump on my $35 car. So... I'm currently making a Bosch test stand / pump tester contraption for my metal lathe.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM

9,164 posts, read 16,510,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
If I get a class A either new or used what fuel type engine is my best choice?Seems price is about the same now a days for the fuel.Also what Brand is the best rated on a deisel engine as far as repair history?

I think it was Stealth that basically said it depends on how you plan to use it. You've gotta provide a little info if you want answers that mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing