Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times

Advertisements

Its 15 years old go to a few RV Sites and see what others say about that Brand of Coach also a V10 is a big engine and 15 years ago I dont belive they got good MPG 10 to 12 MPG is my guess.I had two jamborees on dodge and Chevy chassis and the bodys were Junk.JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Unbiased RV Reviews & Expert RV Ratings

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Do you regularly enjoy road trips and camping? If yes to either one of those questions, then it is possibly worth it. It looks decent, but pictures are deceptive.

If its a matter of 'show' to be part of the 'in crowd' then no, it's not.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
An RV is a box in the driveway into which you pour money to no good effect.**
Now, if you are into camping, that is different. You will ignore the cost and go anyway.
An RV, especially an older one, is a house crossed with a truck with all the problems of both.
And BTW, I have a 1973 GMC with the front wheel drive Olds engine and I love working on it and taking the occasional trip.
** A boat, "is a hole in the water lined in wood or fiberglass, into which you pour money."

Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So, now that my inlaw bought a small boat, my wife want to pay them back, keep with the Joneses, and buy a RV.

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THOSE. I think, they are headache on maintenance and used little, but The Boss wants one.

So, is this thing here worth the $$?

1998 rv regal tripple e 22'
This is so simple. Your wife wants to get one. You said she is the boss. That sort of takes care of that. Simply ask her how much you can afford or want to afford and go get one.

Take her to some RV shows and let her decide. Even if you get an RV, if she doesn't like it, you will pay dearly. Let her pick one out and then make the best deal you can. It can be used or new, just let her decide which type (5th wheel, pull trailer or motorhome) and go with that.

In the end, if she is happy, you are happy right? If not, you now have some place else to go when she is unhappy. Always look at the bigger picture and side benefits.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
No it's not worth the money. It's a depreciating asset. A quickly depreciating asset at that.

You have to investigate if it is being offered today at a value that is equal to or less than the market worth. Use all the value guides given to you and maybe have someone who is familiar with RV's look at it for you.

Inherently no R/V is ever worth the money you spend though. Same as a boat..

It's what you want to do with it and where you want to go with it that will offset the loss in value over time. My gear pays me dividends in memories with my kids, hunting, traveling... So my truck camper and 18 ft Glastron are worth the headache and the money lost because I have gained a lot from them.

If you're trying to keep up with the Joneses than you are p*ssing $$ in the wind my friend.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Rent one and go on a camping trip a couple of times to see if your family even likes it.

Families generally work their way up to a motor home. Myself, I've camped all my life and I wouldn't accept a motor home as a gift because it does not meet my camping needs.

I graduated from sleeping on the ground to a 26 foot trailer trailer, that I decided was too big. I switched to a 21 foot off road equipped travel trailer, and I love that thing and use it often.

I've got no use for a motor home, where you must stay near the main roads and park where there are no overhead trees. Either you can't go anywhere but the campground or else you have to tow a small car behind your rig. No thanks.

I've watched too many people park the motor home, get out yo adjust the TV dish, and then disappear inside the motor home to not be seen again until they pull out. You can sit at home and watch TV for a lot less money and effort. (Although Mac Knife makes a very good point about keeping the wife happy)

Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
That's exactly why I like my truck camper on my old Dodge Ram.. I can go fish, hunt, hike and come back to a nice place fix a quick meal and hit the sack.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This is so simple. Your wife wants to get one. You said she is the boss. That sort of takes care of that. Simply ask her how much you can afford or want to afford and go get one.

Take her to some RV shows and let her decide. Even if you get an RV, if she doesn't like it, you will pay dearly. Let her pick one out and then make the best deal you can. It can be used or new, just let her decide which type (5th wheel, pull trailer or motorhome) and go with that.

In the end, if she is happy, you are happy right? If not, you now have some place else to go when she is unhappy. Always look at the bigger picture and side benefits.
I agree with this somewhat... yes.. the wife needs to be happy... BUT... the wife also needs to know how they will use the RV. Weekend camping a few miles from the house, long away-from home trips as vacation, or is she planning a retirement full-time lifestyle gone months at a time. Which kind of accommodations does she want? RV resorts? Campgrounds? State Parks? There are usually pros and cons to all three kinds. Does she want simple or does she want all the comforts of home? Will she pull or drive the rig no matter the size or does she panic at the thought?

Make no mistake.. RV's are not investments. There is a great deal of time and money that must be spent on maintenance. You can't just buy it and forget it. They can be hell and they can be fun. Perhaps the OP should rent an RV, take a jaunt and see just what it's all about before jumping in feet first.... JMHO..

Old 03-17-2013, 02:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
You can find the information you need if you do your own research rather than paying these guys $66-$77. There is so much available on the internet now. RV forums written by people who buy, use and repair their RVs. I wouldn't pay for information you can get for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing