U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 PM

5,891 posts, read 9,508,394 times

Advertisements

I can't name a "best" but the campgrounds in Colorado and Idaho are clean and well maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,691 posts, read 40,062,283 times
For established campgrounds...

I vote BC (Canada) for best.

desert or southern (humid / smokey) truckstops for worst.

I do like 'backcountry' too, but then it has been about 30 yrs since my 'Then-Came-Bronson' travels. Spent many a night on a bed-roll next to the motorcycle (free, of course). Did everything west of Missouri R. that way.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:30 PM

5,642 posts, read 17,328,428 times
I have been to a couple real nasty privately owned ones. Both in wisconsin. Wisconsin in general though is a great place to camp.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,691,434 times
We have RVed almost the whole country. The very worst place to RV is Las Vegas. The city is so anti RVs. They have banned them from Walmart parking lots. Ahhhhh isn't Walmart private property and have a say who can and can not park on their land? Guess the city dont think so. Vegas also has a 2 week maximum stay at any of the parks. The RV parks will rat on you and turn you in if they catch you jumping from park to park. Northern Nevada is great up around Virginia City where the show Bonanza was filmed. Real Cowboys from the real wild wild west.

If you want to do the Vegas thing then the best thing would be to camp over the river from Laughlin Nevada on the Bullhead City side. The RV parks over there have signs saying Arizona is RV friendly unlike Nevada.

I love southern Utah for great campgrounds, Northern California, Wyoming, South Dakota, western Virginia in the Shanandoah Mountians and Smith Mountian Lake. Also up around Schuyler Virginia where the real life Waltons Mountian is. They still have the real Ike's General store there but the origional one burned down. The old school house has been turned into a Waltons museum with the origional TV set there. This is one of the greatest places I ever been in America. Honest !!

Maryland on the eastern and western shore have awesome parks. St. Marys Maryland is just a storybook ginger bread town found only in Dickens Novels. Solamons Maryland is wonderful. Strangly even Delaware has some wonderful waterfront RV Parks.

New Mexico has loads of really great parks as well as Arizona. Upper New York State around Watgins Glenn and anywhere around the finger lakes are awesome. The Catskills are beautiful and of course the Bethel NY area where Woodstock was held is just a dream to experience.

But most of all I love Texas most. I love it all.............!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 PM

280 posts, read 1,026,324 times
Our worst experience has been at a KOA in Ellensburg, WA. The place basically turned in to a frat party at night, drunk people sitting around fires yelling, swearing, etc. Not the typical family experience we've had at KOAs in the past. We went, along with several other campers, to the office at around 1 am and found the emergency contact phone number to see if they could send someone out to quiet down the parties (we were laughed and yelled at when we asked them to keep it down). Of course, nobody answered. The following morning we went to the office to complain and were basically told, "so what". Just an awful experience.

A few great campgrounds that I've stayed at:
1. KOA in Astoria, OR. Nice people, lots for the kids to do.
2. Hell's Gate State Park in Idaho. Very clean, right along a river.
3. KOA in Sunset Beach, NC. Quiet location, short drive to the beach.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,691,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
Our worst experience has been at a KOA in Ellensburg, WA. The place basically turned in to a frat party at night, drunk people sitting around fires yelling, swearing, etc. Not the typical family experience we've had at KOAs in the past. We went, along with several other campers, to the office at around 1 am and found the emergency contact phone number to see if they could send someone out to quiet down the parties (we were laughed and yelled at when we asked them to keep it down). Of course, nobody answered. The following morning we went to the office to complain and were basically told, "so what". Just an awful experience.

A few great campgrounds that I've stayed at:
1. KOA in Astoria, OR. Nice people, lots for the kids to do.
2. Hell's Gate State Park in Idaho. Very clean, right along a river.
3. KOA in Sunset Beach, NC. Quiet location, short drive to the beach.
Oh yes, Astroria, Oregon. How could I forget that dumpy beautiful little town. I so loved it there. The Astoria Sunday Market and that huge 4 mile bridge.I remember a really neat maritime musum there too. Much of the tip is all Coast Guard which after fishing supports the town.

And speaking of Oregon....my favorite Cannon Beach is so beautiful with the outdoor sidewalk seafood cafes and bistros. Then south more I loved Lincoln City a bunch too.

I gotta get back up there...........

Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM

7,343 posts, read 7,146,565 times
I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, but we loved the Serrano camp ground at Big Bear Lake in Southern California. We actually honeymooned there -- very romantic.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:13 PM

5,473 posts, read 13,671,264 times
Palmetto Cove RV Campground in northern Greenville County, South Carolina, is a great place to get away and enjoy the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Definitely one of the best in SC.

Here is a view from just up the road:

For more information about this photo, click here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24638974@N06/3538517187/ - broken link).

Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,426,026 times
worst place is stumpy meadows during the summer in northern California. My arm was twice the size because of how many mosquito bites i had. It looks nice, but it is hell.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM

45 posts, read 144,758 times
Best I ever had was any time camping with my sweetie. I would have to say the best was at Camas Creek - where the nearby creek had little brookies running through it. Just a hide away camp in our tent trailer, 4 wheelers, fishing rods and dogs (we have 3 - 2 Shih-tzu's and 1 Big Old Dog (choc lab). I like making things nice when we are out camping so I gather wild flowers, put on a table cloth, steam some artichokes and grill a couple of steaks. A bottle of Washington merlot and my man and it don't get much better than that.

Just re-reading that gave me butterflies and we have been married 23 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing