U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,310,810 times

Advertisements

My DH spent too many years in active combat and now he refuses to sleep on the ground. So, we go exploring in a motorhome. That said, one of the best campsites we've visited was Disney's Fort Wilderness. It's not roughing it for sure, but it was really nice and the scenery was great!

I know we've stayed at some bad places, but they were short lived and I've blocked them out of memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM

117 posts, read 352,256 times
my favorite place to camp is the boundary waters in northren minnesota, its peaceful and you somtimes dont run into anybody for days which I like.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,995 times
I call it more an RV park than a campground... But, if you ever find yourself in the Murphy, N.C. area I highly recommend Rivers Edge Mountain RV Resort. Those of you who drive motorhomes will appreciate the very large pull-thru's, large lots, and elbow room. The friendliest folks we have encountered ever. We stayed for 18 days this past spring and enjoyed ourselves immensely!

Rivers Edge Mountain RV Resort

Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,264,229 times
the best- I camp at a state park that is an island, and you have to have or hire a boat to get you there. There are only 11 sites on the island, no electricity or showers (just a spring-fed faucet in the middle of the island), and I woke up to my own private beach every morning.

The worst- the one I went to in AZ that advertised tenting sites, but only had RV sites (very rocky, not really good for sleeping on!) for me.. in a tent. I drove back out to the office, told them I wanted my $$ back and then went and stayed in a yucky motel down the street.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:40 AM

62 posts, read 226,783 times
Does anyone have state parks that are good places to camp and not too far from your home?

We have quite a variety here in Utah. Some are around a reservoir so boating and camping are the main attractions; some are more historical which would mean just a day trip.

One of our most favorite places is in Colorado at Pleasant Valley Cabins & Campground. It really IS pleasant - tall trees, sound of the river to lull you to sleep, big expanse of lawn under the trees, pull-throughs for RVs, etc.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:58 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,402,212 times
Worst: My state, Indiana. While Turkey Run is cool I hear, I never been there and all my camping experiences to date are horror stories due to Mosquito infestation, rain, Humidity and sheer lack any real scenery. It's all flat and pretty dull. You can't get too remote here even though Indiana is known as "rural" you still can't get too far from people like out west.
So I'd say avoid Indiana camping IMO.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceepc View Post
Does anyone have state parks that are good places to camp and not too far from your home?

We have quite a variety here in Utah. Some are around a reservoir so boating and camping are the main attractions; some are more historical which would mean just a day trip.

One of our most favorite places is in Colorado at Pleasant Valley Cabins & Campground. It really IS pleasant - tall trees, sound of the river to lull you to sleep, big expanse of lawn under the trees, pull-throughs for RVs, etc.
Here in California, we have a number of them, too. Not far from me is the Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area. It is a park for vehicular recreation (ATVs and Motorcycles primarily, with a few 4x4 trails as well). For those that want to participate in this type of activity, it is a nice place to camp out and spend a weekend. Since the elevation is between 3000 and 4000 feet in most of the park, the weather is a bit cooler than the hotter valleys down below, though it still gets hot in the summer. It does tend to cool off more at night, though, so there is relief from the heat of the day.

Another nice state park is Mountain Home State Forest, a park about an hour outside of Porterville, CA. It is located at about 6000 feet in the Sierra Nevada, and is located close to a few groves of Giant Sequoia trees. There are a few small fishing lakes there, too, to make the stay more enjoyable. You've got to watch out for the bears, though, because they make regular appearances in the campground.

There are, of course, also tons of Forest Service campgrounds and recreation areas around the state, as well as numerous County facilities. I don't necessarily prefer one type of park over the others, but rather base my choices on location and preferred activities I intend to engage in.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,012,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceepc View Post

Here in Ohio we have many great state parks to camp at, but I would have to say our favorite one is called "BarkCamp". They have boating, fishing, swimming, Saturday nite movies, an old village to rome through, hot showers, playgrounds for the kids, bike trails, horse trails and horse lovers camp sites, RV sites, Camper sites, Tent sites and much much more, set in a beautiful hillie area.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
do u think some folks just leave home and take those same things with them they wanted to leave behind and find out what they took to go camping was the same stuff they wanted to get away form?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 AM

688 posts, read 1,290,371 times
Best developed campgrounds - 1. Levi Jackson State Park, London, Ky. 2. Jellystone Park, Cave City, Ky. Best undeveloped campgrounds - 1. O'Hara Campground, not too far from Kamiah, Idaho, on Selway River. 2. Lewis and Clark Campground, near Lolo Pass, Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing