U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 AM

688 posts, read 1,291,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Best developed campgrounds - 1. Levi Jackson State Park, London, Ky. 2. Jellystone Park, Cave City, Ky. Best undeveloped campgrounds - 1. O'Hara Campground, not too far from Kamiah, Idaho, on Selway River. 2. Lewis and Clark Campground, near Lolo Pass, Montana.
I'm adding this note... me being from Ky., I like warm weather to camp out in, but not sweat-pourin' hot, with cool (but not bone-chilling cold) nights, and I've noticed for someone like me, the best camping weather, in general, in Ky. and most of South, and possibly East and Midwest is camping in mid to late Spring, or anytime in Fall after summer has gone its way and before true winter sets in. In western states, however, summer is (to me) camping weather, especially in Mt., Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota Black Hills, etc., lovely warm, dry, low humidity days, and crisp, cool, refreshing nights. I've never camped in autumn out west, but locals say that in Sept. or early Oct., they get a lovely Indian summer before the cold/snows of winter set in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,921,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFisher1 View Post
I would like to know what are the best and worst campgrounds in the USA.
The Frommers Campground Book has rated all the nations major CampGrounds in a few different areas , and, it lists the top ones and reasons why.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,450,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The Frommers Campground Book has rated all the nations major CampGrounds in a few different areas , and, it lists the top ones and reasons why.
Apparently, though, it primarily lists privately managed campgrounds, rather than public (NPS, USFS, for example) campgrounds. According to one reviewer on Amazon, out of 85 campgrounds in Colorado, only two were USFS campgrounds, and none were NPS sites. Nine were operated by state or local agencies. Here is the quote of the summary of this review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Best-Tent-Campgrounds-U-S/dp/0764559699
If your desire is for tent camping and to gather information on the National Park system you are better off to find another source. If you want to pull your RV into a KOA then this guide may be of some use.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
My wife and I were reminded that a beautiful campground is NOT always great.

We stayed at a KOA in Asheville NC this past October.

A BEAUTIFUL campground.

Nice meandering stream, great facilties, pond...EXCELLENT..

Until the sun set and the TRAIN started...
every 30-45 minutes that train went by--
KOA is across the street about 150 yards from track
with I-40 just beyond and MOUNTAINS to ECHO the train's whistle--

Every 30 minutes or so another train blasting the whistle that took 5-10 minutes to pass....

ARGH!!!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
Hello,I am having trouble finding camping sites in the New England region,I can't find anything like what we have in Britain,everything so far is for families with large vehicles and loads of facilities,also they prices are ridiculous,for me being on my own with a bicycle and a lightweight backpacking tent,I would normally pay between £5 and £10 per night in the UK or France,that's $7.50 to $15 but I keep finding sites like above that cost $38 and above and if that's not bad enough you have to camp on dirt or stone,does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Karl.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclekarl View Post
Hello,I am having trouble finding camping sites in the New England region,I can't find anything like what we have in Britain,everything so far is for families with large vehicles and loads of facilities,also they prices are ridiculous,for me being on my own with a bicycle and a lightweight backpacking tent,I would normally pay between £5 and £10 per night in the UK or France,that's $7.50 to $15 but I keep finding sites like above that cost $38 and above and if that's not bad enough you have to camp on dirt or stone,does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Karl.

Might be better with a new thread?

ANyway, I have not bicycled NE but did do the TransAmerica tour in 1982 (wow, am I OLD?)

We stayed in county parks, hostels, and even at fire stations.

You might even try "negotiating" with the camp ground for a international cyclist rate?

If you havent started, check with the group in Missoula Montana.

Used to be Bike Centennial now ADVENTURE CYCLING ASSOCIATION, they may have maps with routes and places to stay for NE.

I know they have them for Cross country and other routes in the states.

Bicycle Routes, Bike Trails, & Maps - Adventure Cycling Association

Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 PM

5,845 posts, read 9,487,775 times
Quote:

Many thanks.

Karl.
I don't know about the East Coast, but my experience out West is that camping is free on National Forest land.

But you'll be hard pressed to find anything except camping on dirt.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,405,113 times
City, county and state parks often have free or cheap camping available -- no showers, but usually drinking water and toilets. As stated above, national forests provide free camping if you don't need any facilities, or they have inexpensive camping in campgrounds with water, picnic tables, firepits/grills and toilets.

Most small towns have a Chamber of Commerce that provides visitor information, such as nearby camping facilities along with the rates charged, if any.

Commercial campgrounds will always be more expensive. They're in business to make money, and they have mortgages to pay off as well as all the other expenses to cover. They also offer more amenities, but you can sometimes just stop at one and pay for a shower without paying the full price to spend the night.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
Quote:

Many thanks.

Karl.
Click on the link and then look to the right where it says "Campground Reviews By Region". You find hundreds of campground reviews in the New England states. Many have links to the campground site to give you a good idea of what to expect.

northeast and 'new england' campground reviews and camping information at That's Camping™

Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,096 times
Your right about a few things. No RV in Wal-mark but as far as I know it's only Henderson not Las Vegas. You can stay there for more then 2 weeks, I use to live in an RV in Vegas for more then 6 months. Try road runner rv park on boulder hwy. I know for a fact you can get monthly spots. A good place too, they have a nice pool, hot tube, it's clean and the rent is great I only payed 320.00 a month but that was a few years ago. there are other rv parks in Vegas along boulder hwy too, its very rv friendly, I dont know where you got your info from but my guess is your one of those that gambled too much and now is anti Vegas because you lost too much, well its a city built on lossers as was the saying when i lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing