Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a good deal to me (if you want that much hardware . traveling mass).

Pretty large, but it will avail some great options for fulltiming / PT work as you have previously inquired. (I would have a Turbo Diesel Samurai and a couple vintage xt 500's in the toy spot, and off to Moab, UT I would go.) I would also keep a 12kw diesel genset / welder w/ TIG / MIG in the toy to earn some extra dough for fuel money. (I keep my CDL and DOT current for earning extra cash too)

If it gets chilly in Moab... head to Bryce, then to Valley of Fire (near Vegas, excellent camping).

By Spring you can enjoy the Wildflowers of the SW. (NM - So CA)
Summer / Northern CA to BC / Calgary.

Back to a 'color region' for fall (I love New Brunswick for that)
Autumn Foliage Report | Fall Colours | Tourism New Brunswick Canada
Ontario Parks - Fall Colour Report

Repeat, as necessary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Is this way to big for camping?
So is it for camping or for full-time living (seasonal or year round?)

Because if it's the latter it is way too much and will be a hassle and will really limit your options. But if you're using it a house for months on end or permanently and you can just park it then it sounds like a good deal to get the whole setup for 50k. Have you factored in the full-hookup site costs (and of course gas) yet?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
So is it for camping or for full-time living (seasonal or year round?)

Because if it's the latter it is way too much and will be a hassle and will really limit your options. But if you're using it a house for months on end or permanently and you can just park it then it sounds like a good deal to get the whole setup for 50k. Have you factored in the full-hookup site costs (and of course gas) yet?
I would buy this to live in only year round. So I would park it on my own land.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
In that case it's not too big and $50K sounds like a great deal for a cozy home on wheels + a rig to haul it. If you can afford it and your neighborhood will allow it, I would seriously consider building a structure to cover it or even enclose it if possible.

My dream house is a 40 ft Motorhome/5th 'permanently' parked inside a large warehouse building in some convenient location which I could then landscape to a ridiculous level complete with indoor ponds, athletic field, etc...

Last edited by otterprods; 11-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: misunderstood the statement at first

Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
I wonder how hard this would be to move down a city street or hate get to get in a place that you would have to backup. I have nobody to help me guide me backing up.

Last edited by JD59; 11-01-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I would buy this to live in only ... year round.
Bricks and sticks.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder how hard this would be to move down a city street or hate get to get in a place that you would have to backup. I have nobody to help me guide me backing up.
It can be really hard if you're not used to it, and really unforgiving if you do get pinched in someplace. Avoid taking it into cities until you are pretty skilled at maneuvering a large truck & trailer rig. Freeways, rest stops and truck stops are built for such things though so you should have no problem getting where you need to go as long as you stick to main arteries.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Is this way to big for camping?

2006 40' ZX TALON JAYCO 5TH WHEEL
I used to work with a friend that had a 40' 5th wheel. And she loved it.
But she also had 4 boys, all under the age of 12

Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Bricks and sticks.
Or a decent manufactured house... A 16x80 or smaller for the same price. Bricks and sticks, logs or micro house. there are better options for houses.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
No need to buy a toy hauler and tow vehicle if you are gonna park it on your own land and stay.

Build a shop, (~$15k) add a nice apartment inside ($8k) (out of sight of tax assessor)

live happily and cheaply ever after.

EZ resale for someone looking to build their DREAM house. Have at it... BTDT too many times.

Maintaining an RV as a permanent dwelling is troublesome and expensive and potentially COLD and dangerous. (I lost a friend in a camper explosion, he lived a few yrs after being burnt up... not pretty)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing