Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 9,483 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a lite travel trailer that I can easily back up in a tight spot, and set up by myself at a campground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,363,648 times
I have a couple of online friends who own Casita Travel Trailers
And they love them.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,351,646 times
Pop ups are the easiest to tow and generally lightweight. But they have obvious drawbacks in terms of setup and protection from weather or theft.

I've seen some home made teardrop trailers, very small, with enough space for a bed and some cabinet/ desk space. Some have a solarpanel on top which gives enough power for a light and charging a phone/laptop, etc. They're small enough to tow behind any mid size car and seem like a great way to go if you just need a place to sleep, sit and change. I don't know of a particular brand or model. The ones I saw were home made by a guy that only produces 3 or 4 a year. But im sure you could find more info by just searching out something like 'small camp trailer teardrop'.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM

66 posts, read 219,055 times
TT for how many? That's going to help determine what recommendations are made.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfathers5 View Post
I'm trying to find a lite travel trailer that I can easily back up in a tight spot, and set up by myself at a campground.
Most are actually very easy to set up --- you just unhook them, stabilize them, hook up electric, water and septic, and you're good to go. The backing up takes practice, or you could try to get pull-through sites.

Pop-ups are the easiest - the small ones are easy to just unhook and turn them around yourself if you get in a bind.

I think the best thing to do is go to a dealer that allows you to look around with no pressure or go to an RV show where you can freely look around and get a feel for what would work for you.

Some of the hybrids are very light and small and have extra sleeping space that you can use or don't use as needed. Popups actually have more sleeping space than many of the smaller travel trailers.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM

32,493 posts, read 47,447,506 times
I've got friends with a pop up/ tent sort of trailer and it looks like a pain in the butt to set the thing up.

I pull in, set my jacks, carry out the lawn chairs, and I am done. She's still unfolding, stretching, installing poles, cranking, and moving stuff around.

If you have a couple of teens who are willing to fiddle around with a pop-up or tent trailer, that might work.

OP, what are you going to tow with? Your tow vehicle will determine what you can buy and pull.

I'm towing with a 3/4 ton van with a tow package, so weight isn't much of an issue. I've down sized to a 21 foot trailer with off road suspension, and It is easy to get in and out and to maneuver. We've slept 3 adults in it, no problems. However, you could not pull it with a minivan. So, what are you towing with, OP?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,328,110 times
Casitas! several floor plans and a huge group of folks out there using them. Check out RVSUEANDCREW blog she's been solo fulltiming in her's with her two dogs.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,544,497 times
But be aware that you can't "easily back up in a tight spot" any travel trailer. It takes a fair amount of practice to be able to proficiently back up a trailer. If that's going to be an issue for you, consider whether a camper van will suit your needs better.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Can you handle something like an Aliner?
Aliner - The original A-frame travel trailer

Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 AM

32,493 posts, read 47,447,506 times
OP doesn't appear to be all that interested.

There is a small, light trailer at the local dealer's lot. It's called Sun Spot, or something similar.

The thing about it though, is that it is single axle, as are most of the tiny trailers. In my opinion, the single axle trailers with short tongues are more difficult to back up. They are also dangerous if they should happen to have a blow-out and might possibly pull a light weight tow vehicle off the road if the have a blow-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing