U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 PM

601 posts, read 1,571,263 times

Advertisements

I am interested in something smaller that fits 4 people.
As I have no RV experience at all I would love to hear the pro and cons and some advice.

The vehicle is a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost with long bed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Four adults or two adults and two children?
If it is two adults and two children look for a pop up which is easy to tow and fairly easy to set up and tear down.
Get one with a toity inside though and always make sure there has been no previous water damage.

You can always go the tent route if you want as well but tents are hot and get even hotter in the summer, there is no toity, running water or electricity. You also have to haul all of your stuff along with the tent. You have to haul stuff with a pop up but with the pop up it can all go inside the pop up and not in the bed of your truck.

A smaller travel trailer might to well depending on how long you are comfortable with the trailer being.
Go to an RV place and look around, talk to people who are there as customers since they are campers as well and can give you good advice.

Be sure to have someone teach you how to tow, turn and back up with a trailer before you head out on the road though.
It is important to be aware of what you are doing and practice in an empty parking lot as much as possible before you go on the road.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:47 AM

33,139 posts, read 39,090,825 times
If you arent into zippers and canvas an Aliner type trailer might be an alternative..

Aliner - The original A-frame pop up camper

Old 05-16-2014, 08:07 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,150,426 times
Much depends upon how much you intend to use the trailer ...

A "tent" type pop-up trailer isn't as weather tight as a camping trailer. Consider that if you are out in a wet environment, it's not good to fold up the trailer before it has dried out. Nor is it insulated like a small camping trailer, so in colder weather (especially overnight), it will only offer the shelter similar to a tent but with a small furnace heater to assist keeping it warmer. You'll find that the accomodations are typically rather crude compared to what may be in a camping trailer, although it may ... on the face of things ... have similar units installed (stove, potty, water supply, lighting, etc). Most of your equipment must be compact and at a lower level to allow the tent camper unit to fold back up compactly for travel. IMO, the "tent" trailer is suitable for fair weather camping only ... not that folk don't use them in other conditions, but they don't have the utility or convenience of a camping trailer. The tent trailer is only a modest step up from travels with a decent tent and equipment which allows you the convenience of having everything in one package instead of having to set up a "campsite" with all your equipment for a stay.

While a small camping trailer will be a bit heavier with more windage to tow, it's also pretty much set up when you stop for camping. It will have a convertible dinette/bed arrangement for one of the beds, but the stove & sink and other amenities are fixed in place and ready to use with counter space for food prep, a fixed stove at normal height, and a sink and cabinetry at normal locations. Refrigerator (or built-in icebox), storage, and tankage will be larger than in a tent trailer. It's a much more stable unit in windy/blustery conditions, too.

IMO, for extended season camping trips in the Rocky Mountain West, it's no contest between the two rigs ... a small camper trailer is the better choice. Consider, too, that you can carry more campsite equipment with one in a secure location, inside the trailer. Such items as a table & chairs, perhaps a tent for those nice nights at a campsite, fishing gear and sports equipment, have a much better storage/travel location than in a pop-up tent trailer.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,743,355 times
Before I bought my camper, I was investigating Trailmanors. It's a pop-up hardsided trailer.
I decided I didn't want to tow, so that's the only reason I don't own one now

Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM

8,992 posts, read 14,197,080 times
Generally the pop up tent trailers appeal most to people who do not have a vehicle with a large tow capacity, or have a limited amount of storage space for when the trailer is not in use.

I do not know where you will store it, but your F-150 will tow more than plenty of either a pop up or travel trailer.

One thing you may want to look into is a Hybrid Travel Trailer. They have "pop out" bunk ends kind of like a pop up trailer, but are a full sided hard side trailer otherwise. They tend to be pretty roomy since the beds pop out, leaving the interior space usable for seating, storage, kitchen/bath, etc. So they are a little more comfy, with a few more ammenities, and a lot more storage than a pop up.

That said, there are some nice pop ups too.

We have a pop up ourselves, but that is due to a 3000 lb tow limit on our Outback. If we had a pickup as you do, I would likely step up to a hybrid travel trailer.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,999,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you arent into zippers and canvas an Aliner type trailer might be an alternative..

Aliner - The original A-frame pop up camper

I've never seen these before. They're pretty cool, actually. I would not want the optional toilet... thank you very much... especially next to the fridge.

-Cheers.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM

601 posts, read 1,571,263 times
Thanks for all the information. It is for 2 adults and 2 kids yes.
An optional toilet sounds good but depending where they are located maybe not haha.
I am comfortable with towing big trailers. Parking it at home is a bigger issue.

I will go to some place and look into the hybrid ones as it sounds good.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,349,752 times
Small hard-sided trailer:
More bulky and wind resistant to tow (con)
Has a rigid exterior and door that plots shut for extra security and weather resistance (major pro)
Less space because beds do not fold out (con) -- but there are hybrids too
Less canvas, straps and zipper to break every time the you set the thing up and use it (pro)

Pop-up:
Very easy to tow (pro)
Canvas sides that get whipped by the wind and can easily be cut through by thieves and especially hungry bears (con)
More space for what you have to tow (major pro)
Lots of canvas, straps and zippers that tend to break through even gentle usage (con)

So the big advantage to a pop up is it's so portable and easy to town and you get a surprising amount of bed space once it folds out. The big advantage of a travel trailer is the hard sides which make camping in wind and rain a LOT more tolerable and provided more security for you valuables. It really depend on how often you'll be out and where you're going with it. It tends to get really windy where I live and there's a lot of bear activity so for me it;s hard-sided all the way. In fact I don't have a trailer, I have a small motorhome which is the most fu way to travel as a family IMO, but it's not ideal for everyone. There are always tradeoffs and there are a lot of options.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:10 PM

720 posts, read 1,433,916 times
We've done tents,pop-ups(3), 2 hybrids and now a 27 foot travel trailer. My favorite hybrid had a queen bed inside, with one popup type queen sized bed that opened out,plus the table that converted to a bed. Very lightweight and roomy. We bought the travel trailer because we're older now and grew tired of the wet canvas thing. Loved the hybrids,my husband was sad to sell it. We tow with aGMC Sierra 150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or