Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,518,867 times

Advertisements

So I am 20 and in community college and after community college I plan to live with my dad in Vegas for a while and help him out. I have been thinking about being a full time RVer and I was wondering from your experiences what is it like to be a full timer in a Motorhome? How did you get your Motorhome and when did you start full timing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,015,934 times
At you age I guess it depends on how you plan to make a living.... Motorhomes are great if you plan on moving from one place to another often but if you plan on sitting in one spot most people prefer a 5th wheel style camper because there is no engine, drivetrain etc to maintain.... It's a personal choice.... I have a class A but move often so it makes sense for me but I'm also retired so I don't have to remain in one spot for employement etc.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,184 times
Well, opinions are like noses, and I'm not a full-time RVer anyways, so I'll just list some of the pro's and con's I can think of...

Pros:
1. RV'ing can be fun if you have the circumstances to support the lifestyle and go to interesting places
2. Living in an RV (especially a small one) forces you to keep your possessions simple
3. It can be an affordable way to live if you have a place to park it (with hookups), no monthly payment on it, and aren't on the road all the time
4. It can be moved if needed so you may not need to sell it if/when it's time to move (see con # 4 below)

Cons:
1. It's hot in Vegas (really really hot in the summer) , and housing is relatively cheap there. You may not enjoy sitting in an RV in a weed patch that much, compared to say, a nice little apt with a community pool and other amenities right outside your door.
2. You won't have much space for anything besides sleeping, which may or may not fit your post-college lifestyle.
3. RV's typically require a lot of work, which you will have to learn how to do or pay big $$$ to get someone else to do it for you, and you may also have to pay for the space it's on, so it can get pretty expensive.
4. Assuming it has good tires and a working engine by the time you need to move it, you still need some place to move it TO, which is not that easy to find, especially if you're not into boon docking, so you may end up not being that mobile in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing