Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

I've never used anything but Coleman, so I don't know if the other brands are good or not.

I like the propane stove, lantern, BBQ, but I use a 5 gallon propane tank with a distributor pole and hoses, so they are all cheap to run. Those little green disposable propane bottles are a bit pricey.

One thing that might apply to stoves (it is true for barbecues) is to not buy the cheap ones because the regulator for the propane doesn't work well on the cheap ones.

I've got the 2 burner cook top but almost never use it. We cook on the wood fire and on a propane barbecue. Coffee gets made on the stove inside the travel trailer, to keep the outside of the coffee pot clean and thus easier to store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:57 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Two burner propane stove-Colman. But not too long ago we purchased a one-burner alcohol stove. It was expensive but the alcohol is safer than propane.

Cat

Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've never used anything but Coleman, so I don't know if the other brands are good or not.

I like the propane stove, lantern, BBQ, but I use a 5 gallon propane tank with a distributor pole and hoses, so they are all cheap to run. Those little green disposable propane bottles are a bit pricey.

One thing that might apply to stoves (it is true for barbecues) is to not buy the cheap ones because the regulator for the propane doesn't work well on the cheap ones.

I've got the 2 burner cook top but almost never use it. We cook on the wood fire and on a propane barbecue. Coffee gets made on the stove inside the travel trailer, to keep the outside of the coffee pot clean and thus easier to store.
When we cook over open fire with aluminum or stainless steel, we coat the outside of the pot with some dish soap. When you are done using the utensil, the soot simply rinses and wipes off taking the soot with it. Your pot has no soot on it when done.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
When I cook over an open fire, I use an old cast iron griddle as my stove surface, set on a couple of rocks or bricks as needed, or on top of a folding grill. I put pots/pans on it and cook without the soot of the fire on them. The griddle can get all sooty but cleans off easily with a grill brush; I stow it in an old cheap canvas backpack bag so it's clean and tidy to carry in my RV.

My best cooking two-burner stoves have been older Coleman white gas stoves. I've got a couple of the newer dual fuel (can burn white or unleaded gas) stoves, but the generators never seem to last as long or the stoves be as controllable as the older models. I've got several Coleman stoves from the 1950's era that are still hard working and pleasant stoves to use, light easily and burn consistently ... have never had to replace the generators in them, either. In addition to camping chores, these stoves get used for vat dying wool or yarns that my wife and her fellow hand-spinners make (put into big pots that cover both burners).

For convenience, the newer propane stoves from Primus and Optimus have both cooked well for me. What I don't like is that they are flimsy for heavy cookware compared to the Coleman stoves. Makes a big difference when we're cooking larger quantities of food in cast iron cookware; these stoves aren't built heavily enough to support the weight of a dutch oven or big skillet.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-30-2014 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The great thing about Coleman stoves- you can by most any year, any vintage (esp the liquid stoves) and with a little patience and a few hand tools you can rebuild it to run like new again.

Same with their lanterns, single burner stoves etc.. Good stuff.
I second this post!!!

This is where Coleman camp stoves and lanterns excel, you can always buy parts that will fit even the older stoves and lanterns, and if you have even a little bit of mechanical ability and a few hand tools, you can repair them. My recommendation would be to buy a two burner white gas Coleman stove and also buy one of the converters that allow you to use the small green propane bottles with that stove. Propane stoves are more convenient but you have to deal with those ugly little green bottles, or some propane tanks and an assortment of hoses and regulators and other stuff in order to enjoy that convenience. Remember if you buy any used propane tanks, so you'll have a spare, be sure you get the later tanks with the current fuller spout. The older tanks can not legally be refilled unless they are the kind that have a side mount, and are fastened down. Useful tanks for camping range in size from one gallon to ten gallon. Those little green tanks can be refilled, but if they are refilled it is illegal to transport them. Yeah, another dumb law...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing