Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Since when is a meal kit not part of basic camping gear? I can't imagine forgetting to bring that stuff on a outdoor adventure. It's camping, not an overnight at the Ritz.
AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's my thought as well....what is everyone eating off of? Or with? How is that being handled? Cups and such would be part and parcel with that. It sounds as if this is an organized trip. I'd imagine there is a list of what to bring. These are adults right? Or at least old enough to be away at a dive camp. I'd think they have some level of responsibility for themselves if they are capable of diving.
Last time, I brought the paper plates. They were cheap enough at Wally World. Someone else was suppose to bring utensils and they did................only, they forgot to unload them from their truck and off they went with them when they left the site for another engagement. Stuff to get perturbed about, but oh well. I'm doing my part.

As far as people associating camping with a meal kit, maybe they should, maybe they don't. Last year, I didn't carry a meal kit nor anything to heat the brisket on. Cooking brisket was quite new to me and I honestly expected people to eat it cold. Someone drove out and got a cooking tripod and a pan to cook it on. Another dive leader was designated to do the craving and for that, I brought a cutting board and knives.

I think the last time I had been camping before that was in 2008....or maybe 2006....or maybe 2004. This year, I'll have more things, brought to light by the short comings of last year (still will be using my leather work gloves as oven mitts), but I don't think I'll dash out and buy myself a meal kit. Who knows, I may already have one.

With that 200? camping trip, my brother and sister in law bought me afterwards a lot of extensive camping gear....that has never been used. It hangs on the wall in its hiking pack about 8 feet behind me as I type. So I'll check it out and see what I have of use on this trip. Good Suggestion!

BUT.......that's just me. I am figuring a significant number, at least, of our divers aren't even thinking that much about it.

As far as a list of what to bring, nope, not really. There are minor things we put on the flyer like drinks, snacks, lotion, etc.. We list the dive equipment they need to check out....and some still miss that. But as far as the camping goes, we don't make a long list of what they should have.

The basic truth of it is and I hate to say this but........................what's the level of common sense of the average American college student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
That's my thought as well....what is everyone eating off of? Or with? How is that being handled? Cups and such would be part and parcel with that. It sounds as if this is an organized trip. I'd imagine there is a list of what to bring. These are adults right? Or at least old enough to be away at a dive camp. I'd think they have some level of responsibility for themselves if they are capable of diving.
Metal plate, metal wide-rim cup/bowl, and a set of lightweight metal or plastic flatware in a mesh bag, plus a Klean Kanteen for drinking water. A bandana for a napkin or to wrap around a hot bowl or plate for insulation. Mama brings an insulated mug. As the head of the chuck wagon, you bring some plastic wash tubs, sponges or rags, and an environmentally friendly soap for cleaning up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The basic truth of it is and I hate to say this but........................what's the level of common sense of the average American college student?
Don't assume anything. Just send out a packing list.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-18-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
........Don't assume anything. Just send out a packing list.
Well, two things at least.

First of all, that is sort of what the purpose of this thread is, to figure out what is needed and how to go about it.

Secondly, though, don't want to make it too lengthy of a list of what they absolutely need for at least three reasons. First of all, a list is not my call. That's the organizer, my dive boss. Mentioning one or two things for people to bring will probably fly, but not a big list.

Secondly, what absolutely needs to be listed is what dive gear they need to bring. Loading down their minds with that is much more important than loading down their minds with needed camping gear.

Finally, there is a possibility that if one makes things too complicated, people will drop out of the trip. There are various complications if that happened but one of the things is that by making it a fun camping trip, one is selling the dive industry. One wants to avoid shooting themselves in the foot about that.

That last point is like selling a house. One could take a prospective buyer to see a house and take the short cut by traveling the highway right next to the development and then cutting in to see the house. Or one could come in through the main neighborhood entrance and take the long way to the house. The smart relator does it the second way because showing off the neighborhood is part of selling the house.

When you are trying to drum up support for something, you do things to make "the client" happy, not what is easy for you.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
To be perfectly honest.....it sounds to me as if it's either unorganized or overthought, or both. It should not require this much thought for a camping/diving expedition that involves college students/adults who are clients. it sounds as if this is not the first time it's been done. Decide who's responsibility it is then just do it. In this neck of the woods camping usually implies environmentally responsible, and includes the types of equipment listed by randomparent. My kids have been doing that since elementary school.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
To be perfectly honest.....it sounds to me as if it's either unorganized or overthought, or both. It should not require this much thought for a camping/diving expedition that involves college students/adults who are clients. it sounds as if this is not the first time it's been done. Decide who's responsibility it is then just do it. In this neck of the woods camping usually implies environmentally responsible, and includes the types of equipment listed by randomparent. My kids have been doing that since elementary school.
I am glad that they have been able to do so, but one must realize that such a situation does not apply to everyone.

But back to the point. I am trying to do my part to make this as enjoyable as possible based on what I can do and how I have been trained. I don't have to cook brisket and bring it out after all. Everyone could be responsible for their own snacks.

But, I am a good witch, I like seeing people have a good time, so I am trying to work out those details. I have a lot of the infrastructure (truck, coolers, folding tables, etc), so why not put it to such use.....if only to justify having it.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
This is starting to sound more like an outdoor catering gig than a camping trip. If the dive organization is providing the tents and other gear, then approach it as a catering job and provide everything. There's no need to discuss whether or not the participants have common sense or can make their own coffee. And maciesmom is right about this sounding like a disorganized mess. If you've made this trip before and provided the food, you already know what must be done.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
This is starting to sound more like an outdoor catering gig than a camping trip. If the dive organization is providing the tents and other gear, then approach it as a catering job and provide everything. There's no need to discuss whether or not the participants have common sense or can make their own coffee. And maciesmom is right about this sounding like a disorganized mess. If you've made this trip before and provided the food, you already know what must be done.
We don't provide the tents. We provide most of the diving gear.

As I said, I cooked for it last year and one of the things I noticed was missing was coffee. Cold mornings with people huddled around the camp fire but no coffee or cocoa. So this year, I am trying to figure out how to do it better.

Last year, I didn't provide any cups; I thought with all the sodas I was carrying that if someone wanted to something to drink out of, they would empty a can and use that. Then my dive boss asked me if I had a mug or a glass because he wanted to mix a drink. Luck had it that I was able to provide, dug two travel mugs out of the truck.....but it was luck that they were there.

Live and learn....and here I am learning.

Further, my brisket cooking reputation is getting around.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Since when is a meal kit not part of basic camping gear? I can't imagine forgetting to bring that stuff on a outdoor adventure. It's camping, not an overnight at the Ritz.
You'd be surprised. I once went on a (small) group camping trip and one woman forgot her sleeping bag and pad. Really. I had an extra bag which I was going to use as a pad. Two other people had extra blankets which we used as pads. The sleeping bag that I lent to this woman was not warm enough for the low temperatures we were expecting that night. I remembered that I had a space blanket in the emergency kit in my trunk and someone else had an afghan in their car. Everybody lived.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:27 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
How many people, how many mornings, what budget, coffee only?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How many people, how many mornings, what budget, coffee only?
Numbers aren't in yet for how many people, two morning, out of the goodness of my heart, probably cocoa too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing