Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM

168 posts, read 198,177 times

Advertisements

Yes, young people are far better than old people at making coffee these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:43 PM

12,049 posts, read 10,208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You call that camping?
Bring a jar of instant coffee and be done with it.
Yeah, that would be easier.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:52 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times
Instant coffee tastes nasty.

I used to just use the old type aluminum percolator over the fire and that worked great. I don't know if younger people know how to work one of those things though. They often need fancy stuff.

Nowadays I just heat water and then pour it though a filter in a Melitta. That makes excellent coffee and any fool could can pour water.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:58 PM

23,577 posts, read 13,786,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The average twenty-something probably knows at least half a dozen different ways to make coffee.
Well, that's all well and good but do those ways include coffee percolation or cowboy coffee? As I understand things, I am using a rather primitive approach here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Of course they can. My kids could use a French press from a very young age. It's hardly brain surgery. God, Tamara, you act as though the rest of the world is completely inept.
Well, like I said earlier when they grab a ready cooler to use as a card table next to the camp fire, I do have my doubts. Or when people show up to class for the first time, 4 weeks into the semester, because they didn't know where to come? Or arrive at a swimming type class without their swimsuits?

For some strange reason, I have my doubts.

On other fronts, just as a note, two years and more previous, we would hit the Starbucks for morning coffee and snacks, but that's when Texas was not as shallow with drought and we didn't have to travel as far to find good dive sites.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:05 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,738,801 times
What is all this talk of filters and paper towels and the horror of grounds in your coffee cup? You're camping for god's sake.

I have an old Farberware stainless steel stovetop percolator that I make my coffee in every day. I bring it to the boil, turn it down and let it perc for 10 minutes or so (or until I remember to take it off) and drink several cups black. Every day.

The very bottom of the pot will have some grounds, but they ain't gonna kill ya.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,276,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As I indicated in the coffee mug thread (sent a message to the organizer to have him tell people to bring their own mugs), I have a camping trip in a few weeks where I'm the self designated camp cook. Food wise, that's not too much, I cook and bring the brisket, pickles, barbeque sauce, knock over Mrs. Baird's for the bread.

This year, I'm bringing coffee and cocoa as well. Have pots like this: http://www.campmor.com/Product___82396
to use. The thing is they aren't really that perfect, there aren't filters made for them, at least not inexpensively, so one has to use small drip coffee filters, punch a hole through it, let the grounds fall where they may.

So, will the camping gang go for percolated coffee with grounds in the bottom of the pot? I guess it depends on how spoiled they are.

I am thinking of carrying a few cans of ground coffee, lest one tips a can on the ground; same note on the cocoa......................................and now that I think of it, what else? I mean, I drink my coffee black.

I guess I'll tell the organizer that I'll provide the coffee but if individual drinkers doll their coffee up with other things, they need to bring such. Carrying around a can of refined sugar isn't that difficult but beyond that, it can get that way.
Will you be catching any of your own food?
Fresn pan-fried perch caught at dawn, cooked over a campfire with eggs and potatoes, is some of the best grub on earth.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Will you be catching any of your own food?
Fresn pan-fried perch caught at dawn, cooked over a campfire with eggs and potatoes, is some of the best grub on earth.
I don't think fishing is allowed in that lake and quite frankly, I'm glad.

One of my fears about diving where there are fishermen is that a lure will snag me in the ear.

In any event, fishing requires licenses and obeying the regulations of Tx Parks & Wildlife and that's just one complication I'd rather avoid.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that's all well and good but do those ways include coffee percolation or cowboy coffee? As I understand things, I am using a rather primitive approach here.
Yes, those ways include percolation. A Bialetti is a stove-top aluminum percolator. You put water in the bottom, grounds in the basket, screw it all together and heat it over a flame.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,567,536 times
You were asking earlier about adding sugar and/or cream to coffee, and the folks who like it typically won't drink their coffee black. Since it's only one day, you can get a small carton of half & Half or whole milk and keep it in the cooler. Or you can get a small canister of dry powdered creamer -- not as appealing but it works for those who want it light.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
You were asking earlier about adding sugar and/or cream to coffee, and the folks who like it typically won't drink their coffee black. Since it's only one day, you can get a small carton of half & Half or whole milk and keep it in the cooler. Or you can get a small canister of dry powdered creamer -- not as appealing but it works for those who want it light.
More like 2-2.5 days.

Anyhow, that particular option, about things to add to coffee, I'm going to shunt to the campers or, at least, my dive shop.

It's a give and take situation. Somethings are good to have, good to know how to do, good to have the infrastructure built up to do it, so I'm willing, sooner or later to be able to do it. Things like carrying a few pounds of sugar in a can, sure, that sounds feasible, cheap enough, look into how to do it.

But other things like carrying powder milk for coffee, given how people reacted to that in a previous thread, given its cost, no, I don't think so, put that one aside.

In the end, it comes down to at least two things. First of all, how much of my money am I putting into the operation......and having one, two, even three briskets (I sent one out yesterday on another camping trip) is a lot of cash "for the cause". For this affair, though, it hasn't been decided about who is paying.

Secondly, realize that you can't please everyone all the time. So having a basic coffee like Forger's is acceptable to me but if they are spoiled on Starbucks, oh well. So as well is the point that if they want extra things for their coffee, they will have to provide it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing