Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I've heard that phrase before, "cowboy coffee" but don't know much about it. Tell me more, please (or give a website).

It's about 4 weeks to the trip. In addition to checking out the status of my supplies, I have time to experiment in the kitchen with things, such as this cowboy coffee. How does that work, how much do you need (like a perc basket full perhaps), etc, etc..

On a different note, campfire wood. By habit, I carry a bow saw in the truck. Last year, one of the dive leaders had a full size ax but I don't know if he will be there this year. I do have a hatchet that I inherited from my parents' estate. While I suppose it can't be a bad idea to have an ax and a hatchet in the truck as tools, and I have used an ax, but long ago at Aggie Bonfire, I think I'm a little nervous about anyone handling one except dive leaders............even though we have waivers signed by everyone. Thoughts?
Glad you asked about "cowboy coffee". I've been a member of a Single Action Shooting Club since 2006, and we are all cowboys, at least for the weekend. I was raised on a ranch, so I consider myself a cowboy for life, whether that is bad or good, I don't know. One thing I do know, coffee is important to everyone one of our members, and it doesn't seem to matter if it is morning. noon, or night, evey one except the teenagers want coffee. Try to give any of these people instant coffee and they would boo you out of the park. Our club owns two 32 cup coffee makers. One we use for just hot water for the tea, hot cocoa, and hot cider drinkers. The other one is used for coffee, and if we are expecting a larger that usual group I bring a 32 cup coffee maker that I own. In the past we used one of those blue enamel coffee pots like was pictured in the link you provided, but we didn't bother with filters. We put the necessary amount of coffee in the pot after the water started to boil, then set if off the stove. Just before serving, (about 5 minutes after adding the coffee) we would pour in a cup of cold water, which worked well to settle most of the grounds. That is pretty close to how the old timers made "Cowboy Coffee", some of the cooks would also thrown egg shells in the pot, but I could never see where that did much good. If you savor the food you eat and really take pleasure in eating, then I suspect you do the same thing with coffee. I love a good cup of coffee, and I've never tasted instant coffee that I would waste money on. When I do the cooking for our group of shooters, we aren't camping, we are in a kitchen at our range and we have electricity and all the necessary stuff that goes with coffee, but it's up to the individual to doctor up their coffee to suit their own taste...

As far as hatchets and axes are concerned, I think they are safe in the hands of most adults, but I wouldn't let children attempt to use them. I own several hatchets, and three different full size axes, along with two splitting mauls. I carry a hatchet and a full sized axe with me in our 5th wheel camper, the hatchet is used for small splitting jobs, the axe is used when the hatchet just won't do the job. When you start to use them you will see the difference quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:09 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You call that camping?
Bring a jar of instant coffee and be done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The old enameled perc over the fire is the way to go. The metal filter will allow some fines at bottom of the cup, but not large grounds. Anyway, better than "cowboy coffee" - where you throw the grounds into a pot, heat, pour and everyone is responsible for bringing their own pocket strainers if they don't like their coffee "chewy".
No thanks. We camp at least once a year, usually more, and we take a coffemaker!
One yearly trip we do is with family, at least 50 people, and everyone is responsible for their own coffee.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:12 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No, no hook up. Very primitive.
Ah. That explains it. Yeah that would not be for me! My BF would be fine with it, until he had to drink that crap coffee!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
You call instant coffee "camping"? Wow, Canada must be one soft country.

The old enameled perc over the fire is the way to go. The metal filter will allow some fines at bottom of the cup, but not large grounds. Anyway, better than "cowboy coffee" - where you throw the grounds into a pot, heat, pour and everyone is responsible for bringing their own pocket strainers if they don't like their coffee "chewy".
Are you for real? Pocket strainers? Granted, there are grounds left in the bottom of the pot when you make "Cowboy Coffee" but when you make it right there is no need for strainers. Who in their right mind would actually carry something like that around in their pocket?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Are you for real? Pocket strainers? Granted, there are grounds left in the bottom of the pot when you make "Cowboy Coffee" but when you make it right there is no need for strainers. Who in their right mind would actually carry something like that around in their pocket?
I could be wrong, but when I hear "cowboy coffee" and "pocket strainer" in the same paragraph I assume that's a bandanna.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
When i'm camping its instant coffee all the time, Easy to pack easy to use and at 5am it all tastes the same to me, its the bacon eggs pancakes and sausage that are the highlights of that camping breakfast How the coffee tastes is not really that important, instant tastes fine.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I could be wrong, but when I hear "cowboy coffee" and "pocket strainer" in the same paragraph I assume that's a bandanna.
LOL -
My mind said, "An old sock?"

Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
An old sock sounds like a good idea, as long as it's been washed since I last wore it.

I'm the coffee cook when we camp (and at home). Coffee and flapjacks, and if we have eggs, then I do them. Oh, and hot dogs on a stick for myself. I'm usually the one who secures the sticks, enough for everyone. My wife cooks everything else, sometimes with my unwanted and unneeded "supervision". Anyway, coffee is made from an old tin drip coffee pot. It's not the best, as you can no longer buy drip grind, but it works, and the coffee is always excellent.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i'm camping its instant coffee all the time, Easy to pack easy to use and at 5am it all tastes the same to me, its the bacon eggs pancakes and sausage that are the highlights of that camping breakfast How the coffee tastes is not really that important, instant tastes fine.
Not everyone's taste is the same. I would be highly insulted if someone invited me to coffee in their camp and I was served instant coffee. To me, there is a vast difference in taste. Just like drinking wine, there is a vast difference in the taste.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
I gotta have my keurig machine when I camp. we are so spoiled now heck rv's have washers and dryers dishwashers mine also has a central vacuum in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing