Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Next item, spaghetti for the non meat eaters.

Is it possible, workable, to take some already cooked stuff out, frozen in the cooler, and then heat it up for them?

My dive boss suggested wrapping it in tin foil at the camp fire. Would that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Spaghetti? I don't think that quite lends itself to tinfoil cooking very well. Pot cooking- yes.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Spaghetti? I don't think that quite lends itself to tinfoil cooking very well. Pot cooking- yes.
Well, one has to keep in mind that we are talking about a diving camping trip here, so how quick a meal can be prepared by a cold, hungry, tired person an hour or two out of the drink is a priority. Perhaps not for breakfast, but certainly for dinner in the waning sunlight.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Actually, spaghetti heats up really well. Pre-cook the noodles, carry the sauce and the noodles separately. Combine sauce and noodles and warm up in a pot over the fire. It can be warmed in foil, but liquid stuff is more difficult in foil.

I reheat sauce heavy stuff in foil, but I put it in small foil pans (like little pie tins) and then wrap in foil and put it on the fire. Not spaghetti, so far, but I make some dynamite baked beans. That system of reheating wold work well for spaghetti.

For non-meat eaters, it would be easier to make something like a macaroni salad and serve it cold.

I think that OP is trying to do this without having to cook. Spaghetti or mac salad involves cooking the day before.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:41 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I'm thinking the 'classic' tinfoil dinner- no trays. I've been in Scouting for over 40 years, and hobo dinners are quite popular, especially on a Friday night when we travel in the late afternoon and set up camp in the dark.

Generally the boys use stout ingredients, like burger, potatoes, sliced veggies etc. Saucy foods don't really work too well in a hobo dinner. Not saying it can't be done, I just don't think it lends itself really well. I could be totally wrong and maybe it is fine- I just have never seen or tried that one.

If they are lining a pot with tinfoil, or using an aluminum tray- sure. You can cook just about anything you want. In fact I use a truckers oven a lot, especially during cold weather hunting trips. The size of a lunchbox, plugs into your vehicle and heats up to 350deg. I have removable aluminum trays and I make all kinds of stuff in it.

It's really nice to head into the car at noon and have a hot meal, especially when hunting ducks or geese and it's −10 with the wind howling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing