Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,340 times

Advertisements

JoAnn, might I suggest that you post your question about Washington state's "210 days in an RV" over at one of the RV forums?

The Escapees RV Club -- www.rvnetwork.com

RV.net -- www.rv.net

I've never heard of an occupancy restriction like you mention above but, then again, I've never stayed in Washington state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Visit the Escapees site, full timing in RVs is the focus of that group.

RV is an acronym for Recreational Vehicle and includes trailers, truck campers, 5th wheels, van campers as well as motorhomes.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:43 PM

424 posts, read 580,099 times
When we went fulltime we joined the Escapees and used them as our mail forwarding address (Became Texas residents). Have stayed at the Livinngston TX home park a couple of times. I would highly recommend them as a go-to organization for fulltime RV'ers.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:06 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,017,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texladyj View Post
I am a full time rv er 40 ft class A (me = 4' 9" little widow lady). I have been living in my class A for 3 years and I love it. Moved out of 3000 sq ft of constant upkeep into 400 sq ft of comfort and mobility. It took 3 years to sell my house in Washington, 2 years to sell my house in Indiana, and a year to sell my Mom's house in Fla. I swear I will never be property poor again.
Yes it is a learning experience. I replaced 3 sewer hoses last winter due to sub zero temps. Finally was told I could use the electric warming tapes even tho the package says not to use on water hoses or plastic. It works just fine. My new class A has a wind up power cord. I had to stop along the highway when a neighboring car signaled that I was dragging 20 feet of power cord.....I forgot to lock down the wheel. When I got home I noticed a looooong strand of thin wire and when I opened the sewer drain compartment, all I had was a stub left of the drain....apparently it had fallen thru the hole and torn itself up. As far as driving instruction...the total sum of mine was "hug the center line. The cars and trucks will get out of your way but the mailboxes won't!"

Now I have a question for the forum....I am planning on moving back to Washington state (from GA) this year. In my search for a full time residence in an RV park, I was told there is a state law that says we cannot live in our RVs more than 210 days a year. I can RENT the lot for the whole year and leave the RV there but I have to move out after 210 days!! Who thought up this stupid law and why? What am I supposed to do? Pitch a tent? I don't have any place else to live. Has anyone had experience with this and is there a solution? I'm thinking of looking at mobile home parks that will take RVs...will that work? Someone said it depends on how the park is licensed. And I figure if it is licensed as a mobile home park...that rule will not apply.

We are being discriminated against!!! How about apartment dwellers? They are renting their "space". Shouldn't they have to move out after 210 days too? Someone suggested just moving to another park. I don't think that would work because I would still be living in the rv full time. I am not retired...still work part time and need a permanent location. I cannot be moving around every 210 days!

JoAnn
JoAnn....I am not familiar with the state laws in Washington state but nationwide you will find that is a very common law...

It all depends on how the campground is zoned/insured etc...most campgrounds are zoned recreational, meaning a place someone visits, not a place someone lives at so there is a time limit put in place how long someone can stay....no different then someone staying at a hotel.....time limit there also.....210 days is not bad...some states are even shorter...but anyway..yes when you meet the max number of consecutive days at a recreational campground you have to leave...

An option might be an owner campgrounds, they are normally zoned residential under condo/multi-family rules.....I own a rv lot in Fla....I could live on it 365 days a year if I wished but there are rules in place that only allows a non owner to stay 179 days per year max....now I have never really checked to see if that was a state law, county law or resort rule as I've never thought about renting my lot out that long to one person......... but checking into buying a lot at a owners style campground may be an option

Old 05-15-2015, 03:55 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Can anyone find the Washington state code that refers to the length of time one can live in a recreational Vehicle?
I tried a google search, and could find nothing. However, my skills at such things leave a lot to be desired!

Old 05-23-2015, 02:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
JoAnn....I am not familiar with the state laws in Washington state but nationwide you will find that is a very common law...

It all depends on how the campground is zoned/insured etc...most campgrounds are zoned recreational, meaning a place someone visits, not a place someone lives at so there is a time limit put in place how long someone can stay....no different then someone staying at a hotel.....time limit there also.....210 days is not bad...some states are even shorter...but anyway..yes when you meet the max number of consecutive days at a recreational campground you have to leave...

An option might be an owner campgrounds, they are normally zoned residential under condo/multi-family rules.....I own a rv lot in Fla....I could live on it 365 days a year if I wished but there are rules in place that only allows a non owner to stay 179 days per year max....now I have never really checked to see if that was a state law, county law or resort rule as I've never thought about renting my lot out that long to one person......... but checking into buying a lot at a owners style campground may be an option
the OP might want to google out extended stay rv parks in there area. theres a few that will let a person stay there year round. they just need to call and ask around

Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 AM

428 posts, read 643,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Can anyone find the Washington state code that refers to the length of time one can live in a recreational Vehicle?
I tried a google search, and could find nothing. However, my skills at such things leave a lot to be desired!

In my experience that is up to the management of the rv park you happen to be thinking about.
I don't think the state cares, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 138,362 times
Hi I don't know how old this forum is but here goes. I bought my first Class A 3 years ago...moving out of 3000 sq ft into 300!! I sold or donated ALL of my furniture, sent the kids all the family stuff and I have never been more comfortable. I live in a camp ground that has full timers in the back part of the park...no yard work and not much up keep. I live here full time and have not taken many trips yet as I am not retired. I bought an old used one that was in good condition to see if I liked it before spending big bucks. After a year I knew that there were some things I could do without and other things I would like to have and started looking for a newer unit. Most parks will not take full timers whose RV;s are moire than 10 years old and mine was 15. Also I am planning a cross country move and wanted something newer with more power. My total driving instruction from Camping World was..."hug the center line....the cars and trucks will get out of your way but the mailboxes won't!!" My new (2007) Class A is 40 ft long and 13 ft high and has EVERYTHING a full timer needs. FULL kitchen with full sized appliances and a lot of counter space, dishwasher, full stove and frig, trasher compactor and disposal. FULL bathroom with bath tub and shower. Apartment sized separate washer and dryer. One large slide out in the main living area with eating booth, 6 ft couch, recliner and the 2 front seats turn around to face in. Built in satellite system. Oh...and only 8800 miles on it!!
It is perfect for me and my 3 little pups who are paper trained. It took me 3 years to sell my last house and also my late mother's home and I swore I would not be tied down and be property poor ever again! My late husband and I always talked about doing full time rving after he retired and just because he didn't live long enough to retire, I didn't see why I had to give up the dream and have no regrets!!

I suggest you go look...go to Camping World or some of the other big RV dealers and just look and go thru all kinds of RVs. Figure your budget...do you want to have to pull a trailer which means buying a HUGE truck or would you rather drive and pull your car? Budget wise there is not a lot of difference in price between a Class A and Class C and 5th wheels except gas mileage. Oh and be sure to sit in the driver's seat if you buy a Class A or C to make sure you can comfortably reach the pedals!! (4' 9" here! )

Good Luck!!

Last edited by texladyj; 06-29-2015 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: updating

Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 138,362 times
Thanks everyone for your info and ideas

Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,097 times
Anyone here by land and live in their RV on it? I wouldn't want to live in an RV Park, no offense. Just want some space. If your purchased land doesn't have any electric nor water hook up, what is the best way to overcome these two obstacles from those who have experience living somewhat off grid? Thanks to stores like Camping World, I have found some products that I can use to wash clothes, a portable dishwasher, a portable toilet, a portable shower, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing