Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielduch View Post
what do you do with an RV inside cities?
I guess we'll visit a few big cities on our way, such as NYC, LA, Washington etc.
I have found most larger campgrounds near cities have 'shuttle' transportation (Usually to public transit station).

(My current RV fits in std parking space, so it will go to town, IF I think the theft risk / parking expense / trouble is worth it). I usually prefer using public transportation in major cities.

DC and Boston I ride my bike on the days I am not doing 'downtown / museums / city center activities'.

RE_Dealers:
I feel better about buying my stuff from private owners, There are exhaustive RV inspection check lists that will help guide you (If I am out of the area, I hire someone to do this).

There is are some advantages to a dealer (their reputation / business is on the line), do what best fits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
When buying a car and insuring it isnt there some issue with having a permanent address?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When buying a car and insuring it isnt there some issue with having a permanent address?
Yes, will need a mailing address (South Dakota (mailing service),,, one overnight stay/lifetime for an income tax free domicile)
and registration address. (Montana, LLC).

This is a common choice of full-time RV people.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
SF is a very expensive place to buy an RV or any car (CA has stricter emissions and higher costs of EVERYTHING (especially registration).
That's not necessarily true. You won't be paying emissions and tax there if you're just buying it used there and then immediately driving home to another state. And if you live in CA and find a good deal in another state, you're just going to have to pay all that when you get CA plates for it. When you hear about people buying an RV in certain states (like South Dakota) to save a bunch of cash, that usually applies to full timers establishing residency (usually by means of a PO box) to save against fees on a very expensive rig. If your budget is just 10k for your RV, you won't need to go to such lengths to save a little money on registration, etc.

In the end, you should just buy a used RV wherever you find get a good deal on one. CA, among other places, can actually be a good place to save some money on a used RV because there are a lot of city-bound workaholics who don't get to use them much and are looking to get rid of them for relatively cheap. I bought mine for $6500 in SD and then drove it home to CO. It has been worth every penny for going on 5 years now!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
That's not necessarily true...., you're just going to have to pay all that when you get CA plates for it. When you hear about people buying an RV in certain states (like South Dakota) to save a bunch of cash, that usually applies to full timers establishing residency (usually by means of a PO box) to save against fees on a very expensive rig. If your budget is just 10k for your RV, you won't need to go to such lengths to save a little money on registration, etc.

...!
Sales tax was not the issue in this message

the point.... The OP is from Out of USA
The OP will need to find the friendliest state to register / insure and obtain Driver's license (Hint: It won't be CA, or CO, or AZ...)

OF course, you pay no tax / emission until you register (tho an out-of-state' dealer needs to report WHERE you plan to register (not a good thing to plan in SF when you get off the plane).

Hassle? Try registering in CA as a foreign national! AND paying unnecessary fees and taxes AND passing CARB.

A $89 airfare to a 'friendly state' saves a LOT of time and money and potentially provides a very NICE vacation.

Some states will set you back PLENTY ($1500+) on a RV registration and fees for $10k vehicle. Some states will be under $300 for the SAME service.

Choices... USA offers plenty.

Know your plan (and the rules) BEFORE you arrive.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Sales tax was not the issue in this message

the point.... The OP is from Out of USA
The OP will need to find the friendliest state to register / insure and obtain Driver's license (Hint: It won't be CA, or CO, or AZ...)

OF course, you pay no tax / emission until you register (tho an out-of-state' dealer needs to report WHERE you plan to register (not a good thing to plan in SF when you get off the plane).
A $89 airfare to a 'friendly state' saves a LOT of time and money and potentially provides a very NICE vacation.

Some states will set you back PLENTY ($1500+) on a RV registration and fees for $10k vehicle. Some states will be under $300 for the SAME service.

Choices... USA offers plenty.

Know your plan (and the rules) BEFORE you arrive.
Can you cite a specific example were it would cost $1500+ to register a 10k vehicle? Or were you just making up a scenario to prove me wrong because you got irritated when I said "that's not necessarily true"? (which it wasn't)

Of course, in some cases what you said would be true. It can get pretty confusing, especially if you've never done it before. I agree that you should know the rules as best you can before you arrive.
Quote:
Hassle? Try registering in CA as a foreign national! AND paying unnecessary fees and taxes AND passing CARB.
How many vehicles have you registered in CA and where are you getting your facts from? I lived in CA for many years and registered several vehicles there, including some from out of state. But I still can't tell the OP exactly what to expect because it changes all the time. It probably won't be pleasant, but the stories about wild fees and 50 mile lines are exaggerated just like everything else you hear about CA. It is difficult and expensive to register in CA, but not necessarily so much more expensive that it's worth traveling to another state and taking a worse deal just to save on that. The OP will just need to weight the pros and cons based on whatever info he can gather.

Last edited by otterprods; 02-18-2015 at 01:49 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Can you cite a specific example were it would cost $1500+ to register a 10k vehicle?,,,

not necessarily so much more expensive that it's worth traveling to another state and taking a worse deal just to save on that. The OP will just need to weight the pros and cons based on whatever info he can gather.
The OP does not have to "weight" the pros and cons, but should consider them (weigh),,,

WOW...ocd... or HN individual, or tight shorts

in my locale.
9.6% sales tax alone on a $10k vehicle is $990...(state and local) an unnecessary expense in some states.
Add GVW for 10,000# = $336 an unnecessary expense in some states.
RV excise tax $284 (Personal property + use of parks and facilities) an unnecessary expense in some states.
Licensing fees $160 a necessary expense, but much less in some states.

I have run commercial vehicles in CA since 1976, and you? (personal vehicles?)

now... just imagine the OP buys the vehicle in SF area, then needs to invest in 6 tires at $200 ea (high CA prices, recycle fees, and sales tax on that amount, an unnecessary expense in some states.
Then an RV inspection reveals the need for $2000 in service. an unnecessary expense in some states.
(ie close enough for me)

My point has little to do with buying and licensing the vehicle alone. The OP is looking for a 'package solution'. I suggested he explore the FT'rs on Escapees, as if he needs to get a CA driver's license and pay CA insurance rates and sales tax to accomplish the purchase ... OP may be spending a lot of time and money that he could spend enjoying America.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM

No need to get defensive, Stealth. (calling out typos and name calling... = bad form)

I'm just trying to help the OP. You've stated your credibility and I believe you. Things change often though, so the OP needs to recognize that while weighing his options.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
For buying an older RV, Montana has one MAJOR advantage: ANY vehicle 11 years old or older can have PERMANENT registration! That's right, the registration NEVER needs renewal!
My present 32 foot Class A is permanently registered, as is my pickup.
While establishing a Limited Liability Company to own an RV certainly can be done to satisfy the resident address issue, it isn't necessary. A mailbox at a UPS store does the same thing. Your local address then becomes "Joe Doaks, PMB 1234, 1313 13th Ave, Missoula, Mt." The UPS store will forward your mail to you weekly or whenever you give them a forwarding address. Montana also has no sales or use tax, and registrations costs, while not exactly cheap, are not all that bad, either
I definitely would recommend a small Class C motorhome for the OP, something in the 25 to 30 foot range. Rental cars are usually readily available near any major city, if local exploring is desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing