Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 AM

36 posts, read 73,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I bought my '98 Dodge diesel 2500 4wd 8' bed back in 2007 for $16,000, and my camper was $17,500-ish. You can get cheaper truck campers too, a lot cheaper. I've got less than $35 in my rig, no payments either.
This is definitely more my style Threerun. It's would be no fun to me to know I had that much money in a recreational vehicle that is going to depreciate faster than I can "appreciate" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I just bought another 4x4 CTD (Cummins turbo Diesel) for under $3000. It will last the rest of my life (early retiree, still a long ways from SS age.). I have 3 other CTD's for spares, tho not likely need them. I am staging them at my 'recreation area rentals' that have shop, apartment, and RV space for me). I fly back and forth between rental for <$100. As long as I do some physical maint, I can write off the trip as a rental expense.

Would be NICE to find a vintage Alaskan Camper for $5k (they are available)

Old 03-04-2015, 02:02 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I just bought another 4x4 CTD (Cummins turbo Diesel) for under $3000. It will last the rest of my life (early retiree, still a long ways from SS age.). I have 3 other CTD's for spares, tho not likely need them. I am staging them at my 'recreation area rentals' that have shop, apartment, and RV space for me). I fly back and forth between rental for <$100. As long as I do some physical maint, I can write off the trip as a rental expense.

Would be NICE to find a vintage Alaskan Camper for $5k (they are available)
I've thought of trying to find an old Alaskan to restore. They are really nice.

Under $3,000 for CTD 4WD? That's a pretty good deal! For funsies I've priced out new diesel trucks. Most are in the $50-60K range now!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I've thought of trying to find an old Alaskan to restore. They are really nice.

Under $3,000 for CTD 4WD? That's a pretty good deal! For funsies I've priced out new diesel trucks. Most are in the $50-60K range now!
~ 25 Used Alaskans on nationwide craigslist at the moment. Many come with a vintage truck (my preference). As a kid, my neighbor had a sweet 1968 GMC stepside 4x4 with Alaskan.

I don't have any interest in a new truck... BTDT once, when I was age 17. Probably in my top 5 bad decisions / life. I only had 30k on it when I sold it 10 yrs later. My vintage stuff was just more fun and reliable, and not afraid to WORK!.

I don't want electronics or plastics in my truck, both items are very 'temporary', and can leave you 'stranded' for a very simple problem.

I did pay $4500 for a ONE OWNER 1st Gen CTD, dually 4x4 utility truck with winch and custom 'work related' stuff. All the others have been under $3000. I have been seeing plenty of 2nd gen 4x4 CTD for <$5000. I really want a 98 12v quad cab manual without a 53 block engine. They go for $10k+

My next will probably be a Ford medium duty truck with 5.9 with 10spd, and I will swap on a vintage cab.

We are putting a 13 spd in a 1T dually 4x4. It is too much work, but it already had a newer drive train with 4W disc brakes. We really need the gears since we tow heavy in the mtns. / off-road. The 5 and 6 spd just doesn't cut it. (going up or down).

Old 03-04-2015, 07:01 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Ditto on the Hallmark or similar. We have a Ute model which is a 8.5' model. Optional and standard: inside/outside shower, marine flushing toilet, fresh water/black water/grey water tanks, compressor fridge, solar, extra batteries, stove top/oven, double sink, sit down dinette, insulated pop top fabric, Fantastic fan plus 2 other hatches, many others you can check out on their website. It is carried by a 2008 F250 with only airbags. It handles well and can get us just about anywhere. We travel through the valleys and mountains of Nevada on unimproved roads. A bit of a hairy trip up to Delamar ghost town and we gave up on Jumbled Rock Canyon as you would need a rock crawler for that. We explored the Monitor Valley and drove through Monitor Mountain Range.

You might want to check out Four Wheel Camper, All Terrain Campers, XP Camper, all manufactured in Cailfornia. These three companies built off roading campers, also. I drool for the XP. There are several over landing in South America currently.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 PM

Have you seen Four Wheel Campers flatbed truck camper? It is extremely cool and looks very functional! A lot of space in a small package.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
~ 25 Used Alaskans on nationwide craigslist at the moment. Many come with a vintage truck (my preference). As a kid, my neighbor had a sweet 1968 GMC stepside 4x4 with Alaskan.

I don't have any interest in a new truck... BTDT once, when I was age 17. Probably in my top 5 bad decisions / life. I only had 30k on it when I sold it 10 yrs later. My vintage stuff was just more fun and reliable, and not afraid to WORK!.

I don't want electronics or plastics in my truck, both items are very 'temporary', and can leave you 'stranded' for a very simple problem.

I did pay $4500 for a ONE OWNER 1st Gen CTD, dually 4x4 utility truck with winch and custom 'work related' stuff. All the others have been under $3000. I have been seeing plenty of 2nd gen 4x4 CTD for <$5000. I really want a 98 12v quad cab manual without a 53 block engine. They go for $10k+

My next will probably be a Ford medium duty truck with 5.9 with 10spd, and I will swap on a vintage cab.

We are putting a 13 spd in a 1T dually 4x4. It is too much work, but it already had a newer drive train with 4W disc brakes. We really need the gears since we tow heavy in the mtns. / off-road. The 5 and 6 spd just doesn't cut it. (going up or down).
I haven't priced out used trucks in a while. I know I was offered 10K by a guy who walked up to my truck. It's a 24V 5spd with around 200K on the odo.

I politely declined. My truck has been very good to me. But you are RIGHT- plastic sucks. My entire dash has to be replaced because the plastic is cracked all over and caving in. $350 for an ABS replacement, and A LOT of headache to install it.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
... My entire dash has to be replaced because the plastic is cracked all over and caving in. $350 for an ABS replacement, and A LOT of headache to install it.
go 'retro'!
these dashes from WC are refreshingly 'simple'.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...w&ved=0CB0QsAQ

or 'new retro'
Legacy Power Wagon | Old Dog. New Tricks.

This would be nice if they would axe the goofy alloys and go stock! (My dad's WC was same color Red with Black fenders)
Photo Gallery

'Electric' winch is pretty lame. PTO is on the Green version and a bit more Authentic (but no 'remote' button I'm sure). A winch remote is pretty handy when I am on my dozer, using the winch from my W350 to help 'block and tackle' me out of a tough spot on a steep incline.

Today I loaded my Crawler (Bulldozer) for a trip to TX, the hotshotter had an electric beavertail with a remote that could lift my crawler!

When I arrive 2500 miles to TX next week, I will have my CHEAP CTD 4x4 and my dozer waiting for me! (to build a 'retiree / friend' RV park on one of my rural Hill Country places with 3 shops and a pond. I will add a laundry and shower to a shop, already has an outdoor kitchen.)

I saw a very NICE Alaskan Camper pop-up for $3000 in MN (good time of yr to buy one in MN!) Not so good to go fetch it...(But you could still squeeze in some Ice Fishing!) This MN Alaskan camper had a HUGE propane tank attached (wonder why?) they would make a great 'Ice house'

Old 03-05-2015, 07:11 AM

Those old Power Wagons are really nice, but I kinda like my genII. I'll keep it going as long as I can. The ABS replacement dash should last the rest of the trucks life, and it's $300 from Geno's Garage.

There is a parent in our troop that has a 25-30 year old Hallmark camper- still going strong. He has to seal the rubber roof every year, but it's really, really lightweight. Not a lot to them back then..

Here's that Four Wheel flatbed truck camper-http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2013-four-wheel-camper-fleet-flatbed

I think it's a cool design!

Last edited by Threerun; 03-05-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Here's that Four Wheel flatbed truck camper-http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2013-four-wheel-camper-fleet-flatbed

I think it's a cool design!
Would be nice on a Diesel Hilux.

There are some nice diesel 4x4 hilux camper conversions in Asia and Austrailia. (better egress than the flatbed)

Guess us USA folks just need to fly internationally and rent to get access to the interesting stuff.

I saw several 'treking' versions of campers and flatbeds at Colorado builders.

I would just strap a TT on the back of a tandem class 8, so I could make REVENUE when I arrived at a destination. I will probably outfit a 20' container as an RV, and one as a shop, and run a 'pup' behind my Mack. Or use a 'hooklift flatbed' and strap on an RV. I spend more time in my shop anyway. I will use a refrigerated shipping container. (one for auto / welding, and one for wood shop). I will take whatever I need and hit the road. When I arrive I will drop the containers and use the truck for BUSINESS (making money).

This style...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0PWGRh4lHo

at this scale (This driver is not familiar with loose soil conditions. Must be a parking lot salesperson)

Back to the farm for him! (Ice-skating a set of doubles on the side-hill straw harvest will provide plenty of training / excitement)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPJ-eOYRRl4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing