Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times

Advertisements

most private and state campgrounds we go to enforce rules to keep riff raff out...the quiet times are strictly adhered to...the DNR has kicked people out for being too loud too late at night

these campgrounds try to cater to familys...not drunken teens...
we have a travel trailer, used to have a pop up...we go where there is at the very least electricity, ideally pressurized water and sewer as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 12:45 PM

400 posts, read 414,086 times
I do not camp in campgrounds. I always disperse camp in National Forests. Because I am a woman camping by myself, I never camp where I can be seen from the road. Its a tent camp with a big tarp strung up over the kitchen area. I have always had a phobia of bears. But two years ago I threw a rock at a bear and it ran away. I have not feared bears since, although I don't leave food around my camp.

Once , I camped at a state of California campground in an isolated area the ranger said I would be the only one there. But in the middle of the night several carloads of drunken teenagers pulled in and continued their loud party. I got even, though. At the break of dawn the next day I left out of there leaning on my horn. It sure was funny to see their overhung heads rise out of their sleeping bags.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I've been camping for about 43 years. That first trip, we got blown over on the Outer Banks by what i always thought was a hurricane. Left in the middle of the night with everything soaking wet. That was the last family camping trip my parents ever took us on.

I've camped in campers and I've slept in a shelter made from sticks and leaves, in all kinds of parks and wilderness and crowds and all alone. There have been a couple of times when large rowdy obnoxious group made a problem for us. There was also one time in an RV park where everyone had HUGE rvs and we just had a camper...Not a single soul stepped off their 'patio' and no one spoke to us. I might have preferred the rowdy crowd. That was clearly not about nature either.

One time we were at a small state park in NY. Two families, two tents. Across the way there was a MASSIVE encampment. Several tents and several tarps covering 3-4 sites. We didn't see may people and they weren't really noisy. Kind of mysterious. Went to bed around 11pm. When I woke up at 6am, they were gone. Completely gone. No sign they had ever been there. Not so much as a burnt stick. I have no idea how they did that without waking us.

I don't think camping has changed one bit.

Think about it...you may have stayed in a hotel with a rowdy rude and drunken crowd once or twice, or even just a noisy couple next door. But you aren't going to say "hotels have changed".

Old 04-25-2015, 12:52 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I don't think camping has changed one bit.
You haven't read this thread. It's changed dramatically since the 1970s. No comparison. I started camping in the mid 70s when no one had cell phones, TV, tablets and computers with them. They relied on other people for companionship and socialization. That even goes back before the 1970s.

Quote:
Think about it...you may have stayed in a hotel with a rowdy rude and drunken crowd once or twice, or even just a noisy couple next door. But you aren't going to say "hotels have changed".
Rowdy rude drunks are not the issue. They always were and always will be - like death and taxes. Years ago there were more tent campers and people socialized more with out all the electronics. Today almost everyone is in some kind of RV and socializing is almost a thing of the past as they stay inside watching TV or they're online - whatever. People will pull in and set up their RVs and you wont see them again until they're getting ready to leave.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM

114 posts, read 601,146 times
The only difference I’ve noticed in camping is the increase in large RV’s. I can’t stand going to a campground and hearing a guy talking about how he’s “roughing it” while he sits in his $200,000 RV watching cable and cooking in the oven. Give me a break... If it doesn’t involve a tent and cooking over a fire, it’s not camping.

Most places have host and/or rangers that will enforce quiet hours so noise has never been an issue.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:06 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty0604 View Post
The only difference I’ve noticed in camping is the increase in large RV’s. I can’t stand going to a campground and hearing a guy talking about how he’s “roughing it” while he sits in his $200,000 RV watching cable and cooking in the oven. Give me a break... If it doesn’t involve a tent and cooking over a fire, it’s not camping.
In?
Have you seen the guys who have a flat screen TV on the outside of their rig?
"R-r-riddikulus!", as Neville would say.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You haven't read this thread. It's changed dramatically since the 1970s. No comparison. I started camping in the mid 70s when no one had cell phones, TV, tablets and computers with them. They relied on other people for companionship and socialization. That even goes back before the 1970s.

Rowdy rude drunks are not the issue. They always were and always will be - like death and taxes. Years ago there were more tent campers and people socialized more with out all the electronics. Today almost everyone is in some kind of RV and socializing is almost a thing of the past as they stay inside watching TV or they're online - whatever. People will pull in and set up their RVs and you wont see them again until they're getting ready to leave.
Doesn't matter if I read the thread or not. I can only comment on my own personal experiences over the past 43 years. I just don't see that much difference...still plenty of people camping in tents, having big fires, enjoying family time, hiking, etc.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:30 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

This is the second or third time socialization has come up in this thread and it kind of blows my mind. I don't go camping to interact with other people. I've had some great, albeit short, conversations with people, and I appreciate friendly nods, but I don't go camping for the people. I go to be in nature, see amazing landscapes, and sometimes because its a cheap way to travel. I don't really care how other people choose to camp. We all have different levels of experience and ability. I care about situations and changes that effect my camping experience, but at the same time, I realize that everyone's needs have to be met in some way. The key is to get people enjoying and appreciating nature.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Has Camping Changed?

Yes, more people, some of my favorite places are overrun with campers so I've had to find more secluded areas. I see a lot of people leaving trash behind even in some very secluded camp sites. As far as people partying i see that on holidays but I avoid holidays while camping. I don't mind hearing people having a good time as long as i can sleep. I just got home from a 5 day camp trip in a secluded site and to tell the truth I was disappointing in seeing trash left behind, I always end up cleaning up after other campers and I think that's my biggest problem with camping today, I could have spend a day cleaning up after what people left behind but that is not why I'm there.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:55 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty0604 View Post

Most places have host and/or rangers that will enforce quiet hours so noise has never been an issue.

This is why I focus on the tent only areas of any campground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing