Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 AM

166 posts, read 243,724 times

Advertisements

I love camping. The wife not so much. Our 9yo son loves it. I plan to do some tent camping on a local lake that has many isolated islands to chose from this year.

What I really want to do is hike/camp the Appalachian trail with my son when I retire from the military in 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 PM

114 posts, read 601,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I love camping. The wife not so much. Our 9yo son loves it. I plan to do some tent camping on a local lake that has many isolated islands to chose from this year.

What I really want to do is hike/camp the Appalachian trail with my son when I retire from the military in 3 years.
The obvious solution is to remarry .... Kidding of course! I’d like to do the big 3 one day. I’ve hiked parts of the CDT and PCT.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:40 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
My two cents --

My husband and I are 60-ish, and we have gone tent camping for the past 30+ years, and we still enjoy it as much as ever.

We have found that state and national campground with SEPARATE tent areas away from the RV'ers and plenty of acreage is the key to our continued enjoyment.

We do have friends with RV's, but after one experience camping with them, we said "Never again." If I want a modern home away from home, we will rent a luxury condo.

We go for the scenery, the quiet, to look at the stars without the reflection of city lights, and to be able to cook outdoors on an open fire (in an approved pit, of course).

However, if others prefer RV camping, that's fine with me -- as long as they keep their generators and televisions away from us!

Old 05-04-2015, 12:23 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I went on a great camping trip this winter to Colorado. Yep, we spent a couple of nights at the Marriott, a couple in Aspen. This camping thing works purdy good fer me. Especially the breakfasts. Though roughing it in a suite is a bit tough but we managed.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 PM

7 posts, read 7,187 times
So many good memories from "old" camping time. Now you need to pray that nobody will ruin your vacation. So we choose solitude and nature. Better to have wolf around than crowd with beer in hand and loud music. Especially because our dog is always with us and he really hate loud crowd And with so many useful gadgets today is easy to go in area where is no electricity and yet not suffer of lack of it.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My two cents --

My husband and I are 60-ish, and we have gone tent camping for the past 30+ years, and we still enjoy it as much as ever.

We have found that state and national campground with SEPARATE tent areas away from the RV'ers and plenty of acreage is the key to our continued enjoyment.

We do have friends with RV's, but after one experience camping with them, we said "Never again." If I want a modern home away from home, we will rent a luxury condo.

We go for the scenery, the quiet, to look at the stars without the reflection of city lights, and to be able to cook outdoors on an open fire (in an approved pit, of course).

However, if others prefer RV camping, that's fine with me -- as long as they keep their generators and televisions away from us!
haha...we keep our trailer away from the tent riff raff...

We LOVED tent camping...fit all your gear into the trunk of a ford Taurus and off we went...but now with kids (all of our friends have travel trailers) it just got to be to uncomfortable

its funny as we have TWO flatscreen TV's and a blue ray player in our trailer...only use them if its raining or right before bed...NEVER during the day

Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
I think some camping has changed because we have so many options now. You can have people trying to enjoy one park anywhere from a tent trying to hear the sounds of nature parked next to a huge expensive motor home or 5th wheel with an outside tv.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I certainaly think it has changed, but we haven't actually camped in years. With all the new RVs and the campgrounds with modern facilities there have been a lot of growth. As for the ops comment about partying, we never camped to party. Did we have our beer or wine? Of course, just like we do at home, but that was not why we camped. We camped for the love of nature and it was a healthy cheap vacation with our kids. Many of the camp grounds we used didn't have showers other than the lake or river. When I was growning up most didn't even have potties except for an outhouse. The one modern comvenience one we did use when the kids were young had all the things we were used to, like hot and cold showers, a small store, bathrooms, etc. You know what? We didn't even have a good time. It wasn't like the days of sleeping in a tent or the back of the station wagon, taking our bath in the lake and heating water on the coleman stove so hubby could shave. I don't remember a single camp site that even had any grills.The firewood served our purpose quite well and we loved eating whatever we could cook on the open camp fire.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:32 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We camped for the love of nature and it was a healthy cheap vacation with our kids. Many of the camp grounds we used didn't have showers other than the lake or river. When I was growning up most didn't even have potties except for an outhouse.....
I can relate. The place we camped in NY many years ago was like that. Just an outhouse and in summer running water at a spigot. We all had a good time with no one getting loud or drunk. We camped winter and summer.

Now we have an RV and it's called RVing, not camping. It has all the comforts of home. Sometimes I wish we still had the tent....

Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I can relate. The place we camped in NY many years ago was like that. Just an outhouse and in summer running water at a spigot. We all had a good time with no one getting loud or drunk. We camped winter and summer.

Now we have an RV and it's called RVing, not camping. It has all the comforts of home. Sometimes I wish we still had the tent....
Though I have matured and I am used to all our modern conveniences, whether camping, cruising, a road tirp or whatever I do remembet the first time I say someone with a TV in their camp site. I thought, well what kind of camping is this? I wondered why they didn't just choose a motel 6 or something. Of course the first few cruises we took, there were no tvs in the cabins. We didn't think twice about it. My how life has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing