U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM

10,864 posts, read 11,937,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
LOL!! Point taken. I'll try to be careful
At least you're buying used. A good portion of the depreciation was taken by the poor guy that drove it off the lot new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,379,036 times
If I were going to by a used RV or boat, I'd buy a repo. Try Commonwealth Boat Brokers and King RV in Richmond, for example. Let someone else pay the drive-off-the-lot new price.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 PM

691 posts, read 1,227,799 times
Quote:
I'd thought of that, but I have two dogs that will be going with me. I don't care about fancy, I just want something where I can sleep and cook that will keep the rain off my head
Once I finish my truck, I plan on getting an older camper van or a small RV for myself, it doesnt have to be nice even, as long as the electrical system works. A couple years ago, this old guy was giving away a small camper trailer from the 60s, that must've sat for 30 years in an old garage. It was beat to ***** and beyond repair, so I couldn't haul it into my backyard.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:21 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,150,090 times
If your going to use it then sell it I would suggest the most important thing will be that the mechanical integrety be most important, you don't want to be stranded, as long as the stove, restroom and such work you will be okay.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,076 times
It's been said, but again
#1 Roof leaks, water damage! Especially for resale value.

Rent for 3 months???? No way!!

Best overall suggestion: Make sure everything works. Test it all. If you can find someone who knows about RVs, ask them to go with you.

When I bought mine a couple of years ago, I was told to be prepared to spend $1000 for repairs/maintenance within the first year. I think that's good advice, and it didn't deter me, considering I was purchasing an older RV, for alot less than a newer one. So, I kind of factored that into my expenditure.
Electrical is a big one, already mentioned. Electrical problems in an RV can be a nightmare, and expensive to troubleshoot and repair.
Mechanical already mentioned.
Good Tires, of course, but especially important considering the weight, and the pain in the ass of changing a flat.
I don't recommend any RV that doesn't have an Air Conditioner, and Generator. You might find a good deal on one without them, think it doesn't matter, but you will really be happier finding one that does.

A side Q, Do you have Satellite TV? Chances are, you can take it with you without much trouble.

Where are you going, out of curiosity?
And, where will you be staying? Campgrounds? Invest in an annual pass. I'm pretty sure National Park passes include Forest Service and other agency campgrounds.
I personally don't like National Park Service campgrounds--most expensive, disneyland-esq, and pretty militant. Forest Service is much more layed back, cheaper, and usually more 'rustic' settings. BLM is minimal in cost, provisions and restrictions. That's a view from Southwest camping. In other parts of the country, other agencies are more prevalent, and I think BLM is almost nonexistent.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,678,878 times
Had a motor home some yrs back. Had a flat tire on inside rear dual wheel one night returning home while it was raining. Called good old AAA???. Truck came and said he could not pick up rear end to change tire. I ended up calling my son (out of bed) to bring a floor jack and he and I changed it ourselves.. Being a mechanic it was no problem for me so I just got all wet along with my son. Bear in mind that AAA may not work for you in all states. One time (also in rain) at a campground back east the AAA driver was hestitant on excepting my Calif. AAA card (also a flat tire) , bad luck with tires. Stefhen

Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Had a motor home some yrs back. Had a flat tire on inside rear dual wheel one night returning home while it was raining. Called good old AAA???. Truck came and said he could not pick up rear end to change tire. I ended up calling my son (out of bed) to bring a floor jack and he and I changed it ourselves.. Being a mechanic it was no problem for me so I just got all wet along with my son. Bear in mind that AAA may not work for you in all states. One time (also in rain) at a campground back east the AAA driver was hestitant on excepting my Calif. AAA card (also a flat tire) , bad luck with tires. Stefhen
Bingo! Welcome to my world!
That's exactly why I emphasized good tires.
I almost added -- "The last thing you want is a blow out on your inside rear dualie!" but thought naaw..
I think I've 3 flats so far, and guess what, ALWAYS the rear inside tire!!
But, I have "Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service" just for that type of situation. And, I also almost added that to my post, but again said ..naa enough. just hit send!
I swear by them, and they are awesome, in terms of service. A simple call for help, and they've usually come within an hour, take care of everything, and lead me to the nearest place to get a tire. They've come when my battery was dead, one time I ran out of gas, AND my tow-car is also covered. Sometimes, I do a road trip in my car and leave the MH, and I broke down on the freeway, and guess what, they came, they towed, they triumphed again! I don't think I ever paid for anything..
Hey, for $100 or so a year, it's well worth it.

It's funny, cuz I've had a couple people (guys) who were hell-bent on me learning how to change a tire, in case of emergency. They kept sayin' "Hey, ya never know! What would you do if you were out in the middle of nowhere by yourself, no cell phone?!
I said, Sh*t, It's a Motorhome!! I'd just hang out at home till I figured something out!
I still have no intention of every trying to change one of those tires by myself.. Ever!
In fact, (oh god, i'm on another long story here)
I got stuck in Chaco Canyon right after I bought my tow-car, and it was my first experience towing a car. I was dreading it, after finally accepting that you can't back up... (I STILL can't believe no one's solved that one yet).
Anyway, Chaco Canyon is known for it's miles of perfectly straight roads that criss-cross and go for miles.
First, it got dark, and i got lost, with no signs, kept thinking I'd get to something.. I really wanted to turn around, but .... there was nothing but dirt road buffered by soft sand.. and of course, YOU CAN'T BACK UP!! I drove till I was exhausted, and never saw a car.. so I just stopped in the road, and went to bed.
The next morning, I drove, and finally started making random lefts when I would get to a crossroad, hoping I'd eventually get back to the Freeway, by following the sunrise
It got worse..
I came to a wash, about 1/4 mile across. I could see the other side, and I could see the soft sand in front of me. Hmmm proceed and pray? turn around, nooo, back up-CANT DO THAT! hmmmm.....

Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,135 times
Default Advice for ya

Buy it from a dealer who has a good reputation and will check it out as part of the deal!
I'm not so sure I'd want to take a 3 month vacation in an RV that costs "a few thousand dollars" You may just end up spending 2 of the 3 months in a repair shop somewhere out in Kansas.

Quote:
Here's the deal...I'm looking at road-tripping for about 3 months this summer. I want to pick up an older used RV for a few thousand dollars, use it for the summer, and then resell it when my road-trip is done.

Other than typical mechanical things like any vehicle, what additional things should I look at when considering one for purchase? For example, how can I tell if the self-contained facilities function correctly, etc?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM

431 posts, read 1,511,936 times
before you buy take it a rv dealer and have it inspected so you don't get skunked. but it cannot be stressed enough that you make sure the roof is in very good condition and that there have been no water leaks any where. and make sure that it is mechanicly sound as well. I think that it would also be helpful to have good sam or AAA for that just in case emergency. GOOD LUCK and have a great trip

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,950,223 times
Quote:
Here's the deal...I'm looking at road-tripping for about 3 months this summer. I want to pick up an older used RV for a few thousand dollars, use it for the summer, and then resell it when my road-trip is done.
Have you thought of buying an old Dodge pickup with a diesel engine, and a travel trailer to go behind it? You could probably get both for $5-6K, and have a lot more reliable setup, with the added benefit of having something to drive after you park the trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing