U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM

3,247 posts, read 1,887,351 times

Advertisements

I've been researching RVs for about five years now. We've rented three Class Cs and weren't happy with them particularly, though the 19 footer was cute beyond words. (Hated the over-cab bunk, though, I'm too old for that.)

I'm married, no kids, but the Roadtrek would be mainly for me. I travel quite a bit for business when I can, by train or by car since I don't fly, and having a relatively fuel-efficient vehicle in which I could also make lengthy rest stops or prepare a light meal would be wonderful. I always envied John Madden his full-size bus.

The Roadtrek SS Agile, for those who don't know, is a Class B vehicle built on the Mercedes Short Sprinter platform, so it's only about 19 feet long. I think I can handle that. We don't plan on doing extended camping, though we would probably take it on our yearly roadtrip vacation and spend a few nights here and there in hotels. The limited cargo capacity of Roadtreks doesn't concern me. It's actually a plus since my DH is one of those guys who will take half the house with him if he can find a place to stow it onboard. All I need for business trips is enough room for a couple of laptops, a small printer, clothing and a few cartons.

So 70% of the time it would be my mobile work platform, 20% camping, 10% mobile base for DH to do ham radio contests in remote locations.

My mechanic, who I trust with my life, says maintenance on the Sprinter will cost more than I think. I think that's probably true of most any RV. I'm planning on buying used to avoid the depreciation hit.

Sorry for the novella but is there any other factor I should be considering? Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
17,745 posts, read 33,059,527 times
I liked a Gulfstream conversion that was very roomy (for a sprinter). It had a 'cross ways' bed in the rear with windows replaced with 'pop-out' room to sleep crossways. Large storage under high bed, and other features of the van made it a better traveling 'office'. They went NEW for $58,000 and I saw a few used for $45k

While I am 100% diesel in all my rigs, The cost of Maint / reliability of Sprinter caused me to buy a used Rialta $22k <40k miles (18 - 22 MPG) and much more roomy. (Only good for highway on-road use - Low / heavy / front wheel drive)

Welcome - Rialta Heaven - VW Eurovan Rialta Campers and Other Earth Friendly RVs

Old 06-12-2015, 10:00 AM

10,237 posts, read 37,579,985 times
As a manufacturer's rep (and sometimes installation contractor) in the Rocky Mountain States where motels/restaurants are not necessarily readily available (or very pricey with poor quality), my Roadtrek 190 Versatile on a Dodge 3500 chassis has been a very useful tool over the last few years.

It's been more than adequate for creature comforts of camping on the road or at jobsites, handles my electronics/communications base well, has room for a sales presentation via laptop, and has adequate storage for 1-2 week sales trips.

A couple of friends have bought various Sprinter-based Class B's ... including the Roadtrek. Most have been getting 21-23 mpg with better performance than my 5.2 ltr powered old Roadtrek. Of course, they get much more space, creature comforts, and better built-in systems than mine. So far, none of them have had unusual expenses and all of the small issues that came up so far were competently handled at a Dodge dealership under warranty.

If I had the need again to buy a Class B, the Roadtrek Sprinter unit would be the top of the list.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
While I am 100% diesel in all my rigs, The cost of Maint / reliability of Sprinter caused me to buy a used Rialta $22k <40k miles (18 - 22 MPG) and much more roomy. (Only good for highway on-road use - Low / heavy / front wheel drive)
I liked the Rialta a LOT. A neighbor bought one on the Internet -- went all the way to Chicago to pick it up. This one had been customized with all-silver paint. It looks slick.

Our only real problem with the Rialta is the lack of headroom. My husband's head hits the ceiling. And there's that reconfiguration you have to do with part of the floor to use the bathroom. At my age, I can be up several times in the night to tinkle.

I think the lav is probably the weak point of any class B, though. Thanks for your comments.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
As a manufacturer's rep (and sometimes installation contractor) in the Rocky Mountain States where motels/restaurants are not necessarily readily available (or very pricey with poor quality), my Roadtrek 190 Versatile on a Dodge 3500 chassis has been a very useful tool over the last few years.
I was leaning heavily towards a 190 Versatile which is probably very similar to yours, because they're relatively easy to acquire in this area. They are clearly workhorses that last and last. Then I saw the interior of the SS Agile and my girly-brain kicked in. :-)

(Note to self: RV shows are strong medicine. Sample with caution.)

Appreciate your comments and thanks for the support.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
17,745 posts, read 33,059,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I liked the Rialta a LOT. A neighbor bought one on the Internet -- went all the way to Chicago to pick it up. This one had been customized with all-silver paint. It looks slick.

Our only real problem with the Rialta is the lack of headroom. My husband's head hits the ceiling. And there's that reconfiguration you have to do with part of the floor to use the bathroom. At my age, I can be up several times in the night to tinkle.

I think the lav is probably the weak point of any class B, though. Thanks for your comments.
You only need to pop the floor drain up panel if you are using the full size shower feature, the toilet is fully accessible without dinking with the floor panel.

If much over 6' you would have to stand in the skylight area for more headroom! My kids are 6-3 so have that complaint.

There are a few high top Sprinters, just they are very narrow for an RV. I used one for a few yrs on a Fed-Ex route in Mtns. VERY nice handling and good traction control in snow!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 PM

5,070 posts, read 3,438,852 times
I saw a new Class B (not real sure of hte maker) drive past me this weekend. i was walking to my car and the Van was driving slowly through the parking lot.. impressive, and bigger than what I had imagined a Class B would be... Tall and Long!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I saw a new Class B (not real sure of hte maker) drive past me this weekend. i was walking to my car and the Van was driving slowly through the parking lot.. impressive, and bigger than what I had imagined a Class B would be... Tall and Long!
The Sprinter conversions like the Roadtrek and others are awesomely tall once you get right up next to them. It was actually a little frightening to have this thing looming over me. The salescritter pointed out it's about 9 feet tall. I've never had a vehicle where I couldn't reach up and touch the roof, but it has to be tall because the tanks are underneath and you need headroom inside.

The Short Sprinter platform is relatively compact at 19 feet long, which is why I want one.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:36 AM

Update: Well, we pulled the trigger, sooner than expected. I had planned to buy the Roadtrek after Christmas, when I would be flush with cash from holiday sales.

Last week I saw an online ad for a new 2015 SS Agile at $37,000 off list price. The dealership was about 90 minutes away from here, so off we went.

It's not my preferred color, white, but I can live with silver. Best of all, even my husband was impressed that I found a bargain. This dealership is out in the middle of nowhere and apparently the Roadtrek had been sitting on their lot for over 18 months.

We're picking it up Saturday.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:46 AM

5,241 posts, read 5,523,130 times
This is so inspiring. I too am looking at RV's as a retired single person. The only comment I would have made to your earlier post is that I was warned that finding mechanics on the road to work on the Mercedes engine, if you had a mechanical issue, might be difficult. But if you bought new, heck, that time might be a long time away. Congratulations. And, if you want to get something different eventually, it looks like these keep their value well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing