Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times

Advertisements

We're selling our motorhome and have an ad on RVTrader and occasionally in Craigslist. Had a lot of lookers but no buyers. We purchased from a private owner and it was quite easy. We're thinking of putting it on consignment with Camping World or some other such place. A local consignment place was so awful I couldn't wait to get away from the office so that is out.

Just wondering how most have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
If you are getting allot of lookers then your ads are getting out there in the market place...not finding a buyer may be more on you....is your price point where it should be?.....a over priced rv will bring allot of tire kickers but will discourage serious buyers from making contact

Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
While we relocated, I lived in our trailer at a campground in our new area for 2 or 3 months while we moved. After we moved into the house, I kept the trailer in storage at that same campground.

When we decided to sell, we posted an ad on the bulletin board in the campground office. Our buyer saw the ad there and called me to come show it.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,719 posts, read 58,054,000 times
CL and internet 'groups' specific to the brand.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
How clean is it? Is it Empty or full of your old camping stuff?

When we bought our last motorhome most of the ones we looked at were full of the owners junk, dirty clothes, food stains in the fridge and sink, ripped furniture and dirty windows and carpet. Not very appealing and they looked like the owners had no interest in selling them. If they looked that bad, how well were they maintained?

We finally found one in good condition but still not as clean as I would have liked but the price was right. Took it home and spent a week cleaning it from top to bottom. We had to sell it six months later for personal reasons. We cleaned it up again, put an ad on Craigslist and it sold to the first callers that looked at it and made $1700 on top of that.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
How clean is it? Is it Empty or full of your old camping stuff?

When we bought our last motorhome most of the ones we looked at were full of the owners junk, dirty clothes, food stains in the fridge and sink, ripped furniture and dirty windows and carpet. Not very appealing and they looked like the owners had no interest in selling them. If they looked that bad, how well were they maintained?

We finally found one in good condition but still not as clean as I would have liked but the price was right. Took it home and spent a week cleaning it from top to bottom. We had to sell it six months later for personal reasons. We cleaned it up again, put an ad on Craigslist and it sold to the first callers that looked at it and made $1700 on top of that.
Sounds like what we tell sellers to do when they sell a regular house.

No Buyer wants a dirty or trashed out house unless they are getting a steal.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
We recently sold our 28' NorthTrail TT on Craigslist to the 1st person who came to look at it. It was cleaned to the nines and "staged" to look inviting.

We sold several previous RVs the same way and all through Craigslist.

BTW, we looked for a used Class-A and I can tell you most we looked at were dirty and had foul odors. Many had torn screens, slides that sounded like cement mixers, A/C or a Genny that didn't work.... it took awhile to find "the one." It always amazes me to see someone trying to sell something that's dirty and in dire need of repairs while asking top dollar.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:28 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
My current travel trailer, I bought from the dealer, brand new, while the economy was bad. I got an excellent deal and the salesman threw in several upgrades to tempt me.

I ran my last trailer until the wheels were about to fall off. I advertised it on Craigslist for $600 and sold it to a couple who lost their house to foreclosure. They were darn happy to get it at a price rice they could afford. I've got to say: I wish the newer trailers were built like the old ones. The air-conditioner, the fridge, and the stove in that old trailer worked really well and will probably still be working past the time the trailer crumbles to rust. I wish my new air-conditioner and fridge worked like the old ones.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
Sorry for the 'fire and forget' forum posting - we've been out of town.

The motorhome is in excellent shape. It is a 40' diesel pusher. The interior is spotless and the exterior decent for a 1999 (there are some scrapes on the corners and the clearcoat is peeling in places. It does not have a generator. I'd drive it to California tomorrow if I had someone interested in going. If the people are interested, I let them test drive it. I run the slide out, give a tour of the storage and access compartments and show all the features. I think the problem is it is priced as an entry level motorhome and I think it kind of scares people given the age. It CAN be rather intimidating. I can easily justify an older MH as actually less expensive than a newer one (when depreciation is factored in) but that really isn't the information (i.e. total cost of ownership) that a potential owner wants to hear. When new, it sold for $230K, now asking $35K - NADA has it at $48.

All the RVTrader responses have been legit and everyone who said they were going to visit did actually show up. CL seems to bring out the scammers - Someone from across the country who was going to fly in to view it because there wasn't anything closer - that kind of thing. When I tell them I have a lien and they would have to pay the loan holder instead of me (normally via PayPal), they disappear.

Has anyone sold via a consignment lot - either independent or at say Camping World or other RV dealership?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We sold ours thru Craigslist. Had it for sale thru the winter and sold it in the spring. It was only 3 years old and really really clean. Took lots of pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing