Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
... if the facilities are rough the fantasy isn't quite as good as the reality......Are there 4 or 5 star resorts?
there is nothing 'rough' about luxury camping, many options! (USA and abroad)
many are 'membership / similar to time-share' so buy wisely (You can pay from $1,000 for a used membership to $30k+ for a new membership with far less benefits)

And you won't be allowed into the parks in your $100k 1952 chevy camper (Which ironically looks nearly identical to my $75 Dodge w/ camper that I bought when I was homeless during High School. (Full-timing in 1970!))
Steve McQueen Owned This 1952 Chevrolet 3800 Camper

Thousand Trails: Explore RV Campgrounds
Best Luxury RV Resorts - CampingRoadTrip.com
Top Rated Good Sam Parks and Campgrounds
Top Luxury RV Resorts and Parks: When $$ is No Object
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
All those links that StealthRabbit posted are not membership parks but are owner resorts where you buy the lot....lots in the higher end resorts can run from 100K to close to 1 million bucks just for a lot....that price does not include the monthly maintance fees which can run as much as an additional 500 bucks a month plus of course any state taxes due along with the required insurance etc

Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
All those links that StealthRabbit posted are not membership parks but are owner resorts where you buy the lot....lots in the higher end resorts can run from 100K to close to 1 million bucks just for a lot....that price does not include the monthly maintance fees which can run as much as an additional 500 bucks a month plus of course any state taxes due along with the required insurance etc
I don't own any lots in my <$1000 Thousand Trails membership no monthly fees either.

There are plenty of luxury options

Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,202 times
Thanks for everyone's input! Sorry it took us so long to see them...been busy and since this was a 1st time, wasn't sure how to get back in and find all this...LOL. As I posted earlier, we're thinking of selling our home and full-timing in a 5th wheel, potentially staying weeks/months at one location then another (near Family/friends/etc). We surely understand this likely means liquidating most of our current "possessions" since a 5th wheel doesn't include storage space like a 2-story home...LOL . Maybe even obtaining a storage unit to hold the "seasonal" items since space is such a premium. I guess we're mainly looking for "sanity checks" on the overall concept and brilliant ideas that help us through the rough parts...maybe some "lessons learned?" Thanks everyone!!!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:59 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Regardless of the type of RV, be VERY aware of weight!
We full-timed in a fifth wheel for three years while wife was a travel nurse on 13 week contracts. When I finally got around to weighing the rig on the last trip "home", I was shocked to discover that it was a little more than a ton and a half OVER the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of my old 1994 one ton truck! It was, however, UNDER all the important weight ratings.
Oh, well, nothing bent, nothing broke, nobody was injured or died, so it was all good.
We used the UPS Store to forward our mail.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbNCherry View Post
Thanks for everyone's input! Sorry it took us so long to see them...been busy and since this was a 1st time, wasn't sure how to get back in and find all this...LOL. As I posted earlier, we're thinking of selling our home and full-timing in a 5th wheel, potentially staying weeks/months at one location then another (near Family/friends/etc). We surely understand this likely means liquidating most of our current "possessions" since a 5th wheel doesn't include storage space like a 2-story home...LOL . Maybe even obtaining a storage unit to hold the "seasonal" items since space is such a premium. I guess we're mainly looking for "sanity checks" on the overall concept and brilliant ideas that help us through the rough parts...maybe some "lessons learned?" Thanks everyone!!!
Friends did this and after a VERY short time they wanted an A Class Diesel Pusher that they could tow a car behind....they found the big truck uneconomical to travel around in once they got to a place. In both cases they bought beautiful RVs old enough to have incurred most of the depreciation and actually made money on them when they sold after using them (that takes lots of research though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
View detailed profiles of: