Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 AM

54 posts, read 109,349 times

Advertisements

I would love a class a but we are only going to do this for a year than sell our camper. We would lose a lot of money. I was planning on getting a used 5 er than selling after our trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydmn View Post
I would love a class a but we are only going to do this for a year than sell our camper. We would lose a lot of money. I was planning on getting a used 5 er than selling after our trip
Sure....but I strongly suggest you do a little more research about the selling market of used rv's right now before spending your hard earned money....as you will find a used 5th wheel is the hardest rv to sell, the market is completely flooded with them.....heck you have rv dealers out there that won't even take a used 5th wheel in on trade......so whatever you buy expect to keep it or lose your shirt when it's time to sell it....when out shopping don't pay anything more then maybe 2-3% above bank wholesale on a used 5th wheel....and that's only if the unit is in great shape and updated with new tires (American made) and batteries and paying cash.......if planning on financing the used 5th wheel....most banks "loan value" is running below wholesale right now...

As far as traveling I have been full timing for 6 years...and I agree a year is not allot of time to see the country because figure you will want to spend 4 months or so during the wi ter months someplace warm like at your place in Fla so result you only have about 8 months of travel time to see the rest of the country..but I guess it depends on what you want to do and see......of course you will want to travel with the weather so you will have very limited time to see places like the Northern Rockies states etc....based on where and what you want to see you might need to make reservations up to a year in advance, others locations you can roll right in without any preplanning......If I can help out with any travel ideas let me know

Last edited by rtandc; 11-19-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Even with resale, I would still rather have a 5th wheel. He already has a suitable tow vehicle. No need to run out and reinvent the wheel, IMO.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Even with resale, I would still rather have a 5th wheel. He already has a suitable tow vehicle. No need to run out and reinvent the wheel, IMO.
What reinvention are you speaking of? The OP has a truck....So he can use it to either tow a TT or 5th wheel (that fits within his towing capacity) or he can drive a class A and pull the truck behind the class A...either way it's not rocket science....so just like you I'm giving the OP some options.....

Last edited by rtandc; 11-19-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 AM

54 posts, read 109,349 times
I think I would rather have a 5er. I think we will be looking in the 28' range. Planning now hoping to hit the road next spring. We have never been out west and can't wait. Just the thought of traveling as e please and seeing our country. It is exciting.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
I think I would rather have a 5er. I think we will be looking in the 28' range. Planning now hoping to hit the road next spring. We have never been out west and can't wait. Just the thought of traveling as e please and seeing our country. It is exciting.
I think you'll like it. That sounds like an ideal setup.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That's great, hopefully you will enjoy it....5th wheels are nice, just allot more work then a class A when you are traveling as often as you want to be......you will want to book campsites for any National Parks soon....Like right now...especially if you want full hook ups.......if those type of locations are in your travel plans....most state and National parks book anywhere from 9-13 months in advance

Of course look at as many 5th wheels as you can and when you get to the point you think you have found the one you want to buy, hire a independent rv tech to inspect the rv, it will cost you a few hundred bucks but it will be well work the cost to you being that you are a inexperienced rver..the Tech will inspect the rv and tell you what he found wrong with it, what needs to be repaired/replaced and a ball park figure of what it will cost to do all that......that will give you an idea if you want to pass on that rv and keep looking or if you want to try and work out a deal on it

Of course past water leaks/mold is the number one and biggest issue on used rvs, you don't want that headache and will want to pass on any rv that shows a history of that occuring no matter how good of a deal you think it is

Last edited by rtandc; 11-24-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing