Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 16,954 times

Advertisements

Need advice.
I am looking for a good, reasonable used RV with no leaks, in
Oregon, pref. the Portland area .
It's for my daughter, a college student there.
So far, I've had a lot of unanswered long distance calls, voice mails ignored.
Is there a dealership that anyone could recommend?
Or a website where private individuals advertise RV's? I can't seem to find one.
WE are thinking of something similar to a Tioga. Nothing too fancy.
As long as she can hook it up to electric, and the roof isn't caving in, we are good to go.
Her fiance can do minor rehab- cosmetic work, if needed.
Thank you in advance for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 04:14 PM

32,545 posts, read 47,653,023 times
I wouldn't know where to look beyond a dealership and Craigslist. The Oregonian has their classified section online. I think it is called Oregon Live, but it will come up if you google Oregonian Classifieds.

The Nickel Ads usually has RV ads. They are online, too, if you aren't local to pick up a copy of the paper.

If you have a way to haul a trailer, I suggest you look at dealerships in Redmond Oregon. There are several dealerships and the RV's, for the most part, are from a dry area, so less chance of mold or mildew.

If you buy a used motor home, then you have to worry about issues with the engine and transmission. If you have access to something heavy enough to pull a travel trailer, or if th dealer will deliver, you are better off to buy a trailer and not have the engine and drive train to worry about.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,000,430 times
There are no good dealers....used rv's that are on dealers lots are either trade-in's or auction buys and the dealers have no clue about the history of the unit and don't care to know.....they pay well below wholesale for the rv, slap a much higher retail price on it and wait for interested buyers to make an offer.......point is any used rv can have a ton of issues often time hid by the prior owner thinking he is going to get more on trade in to a dealer or get more money on a private sale of the unit......since it appears you don't have experence in rvs the only option I can suggest to you is if you find an rv you like be it on a dealers lot or for sale by a private party is hire a certified rv inspector to inspect the unit before starting any transaction on it....it will cost you anywhere from a hundred bucks or so up to several hundred dollars to have an inspection done based on the type of rv...

Last edited by rtandc; 04-13-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,109,944 times
Is this for occasional getaways or is your daughter going to live in this Rv fulltime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing