Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times

Advertisements

Hey husband went to his 50th high school reunion this past weekend and one of his high school buddies said that they RV with a pull trailer--not 5th wheel... Said it want that difficult to pull with the hitch...
So my husband was encentivise sort of I guess to maybe consider trying it...

Thanks to the replies for the insight...
I had joined Escapees before posting here but my cat has been sick
Have had that and other stuff to take care of and haven't spent any time researching RVs...

Any magazines that are cut above that have good info?
Website's/blogs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 AM

47 posts, read 112,825 times
Google for RVing forums; there are several good ones with tons of info.

One other consideration is that some states require a special driver's license for RVs over certain weight classifications.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,491,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Hey husband went to his 50th high school reunion this past weekend and one of his high school buddies said that they RV with a pull trailer--not 5th wheel... Said it want that difficult to pull with the hitch...
So my husband was encentivise sort of I guess to maybe consider trying it...

Thanks to the replies for the insight...
I had joined Escapees before posting here but my cat has been sick
Have had that and other stuff to take care of and haven't spent any time researching RVs...

Any magazines that are cut above that have good info?
Website's/blogs??
We've been toying with the idea as well, and we're having fun watching a ton of youtube videos. Lots of them have practical information. Search "RV living", or "RV travel"... you could search for specific things like "the difference between a Class B and Class C" etc.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 PM

422 posts, read 572,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You can go to the RV dealer with a certain for sale unit in mind and ask to test drive it. The agent will accompany you and that will be your 'driving lesson'. Tell him you want to test drive 3 different units of 3 different sizes. Make an appointment so he will have the time to share with you.
As am RV'er for over 20 years I wouldn't trust a RV salesman to instruct anyone on how to drive a RV. Now I'm not say all are bad, but I rank them as "used car salesmen.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:07 PM

422 posts, read 572,300 times
When we purchased our 40 ft motorhome, as a Texas resident, I was required to pass the written CDL test and take a driving test. This gave me a Class B license. I don't remember what the weight requirement was to require a Class B license, but I would check it out. I think it is over 26,000 lbs GVWR
If you purchase a motorhome I would suggest joining FMCA (used to be that only motorhome owners were allowed, but I think they changed it. Have been out of the RV lifestyle since 2006.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,284,090 times
Over the years we have seen a number of folks buy motorhomes "because they didn't want to be towing. A short time later they wind up buying a "toad", a small car to pull behind the motorhome, because they had come to the realization that running errands, shopping and sightseeing in a large vehicle can be a pain.

If you are going to be in Florida in January, I believe that is when the Tampa RV Show is. It is one of the largest shows in the country and you can view a huge number of rigs. It is held in the Fair Grounds on the east side of Tampa.

Based on the OPs information, I would keep the Tahoe and get a conventional travel trailer that can be left in the campground while I was doing other things. Some National Parks/ Forests have limitations on the vehicle length.

We found Passport America was well worth joining for discounts and information.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:33 AM

121 posts, read 105,023 times
Do want to visit deserted mall parking lot during night to get the hang of things. I caught onto 25 fter nicely as long as I stayed out of crowded gas stations...

Do check out which kind of driver's license you will need for size of RV you choose...May require a test to upgrade to class C driver's license.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,284,090 times
On the license issue, there are 50 states and 51 different sets of rules. The rules are drafted by bureaucrats and politicians, you know what that means. Get the correct information from the DMV in your state. If you are going to travel around then you will want to visit Canada and a few things are different up there, but that has never been a problem. We did fine in Mexico also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing