Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

53 posts, read 38,267 times

Advertisements

Hi Traveling from Northern VA to the west. travelling with wife, 2 kids (at 3 and 4 years old) and a 1 year old.

We have a full month and we'll be traveling in August/Sept 2016
our route looks like this right now:

https://goo.gl/maps/1Vm2RhNEuas

- mclean, VA
- Mount Rushmore
- Yellowstone
- Yosemite
- Napa Valley
- Monterey
- Orange County
- Page, AZ
- Grand Canyon
- Mclean VA

Total 103hrs driving in 30 days. we plan on staying a day or two along the way at interesting places/cities, since we don't really have a "destination" and since we have time.

Any suggestions to make our trip better is greatly appreciated. Am i missing any major attractions along the way? especially on the way back?

Last edited by Timeback; 06-03-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:17 AM

16,017 posts, read 10,579,551 times
My wife used to keep a tote bag full of "prizes" that she would hand out to my young daughter when we crossed a state line. Maybe that will help with the kids, although you have a bunch of states. Maybe use some different criteria. That gives them something to think about and play with.

Of course, interstates are boring but might be best if the kids can't manage the long car rides (little bladders, car sickness, etc.). The kids won't remember most of the trip (ask them at age 16) so it boils down to what you want to see.

I would add the big trees at Sequoia as that will even impress a 4 year old.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:05 AM

6,871 posts, read 7,828,179 times
Looks like a very long stretch between home and Mt. Rushmore, and Grand Canyon and home.

The kids won't really remember the big things, they'll remember little moments.

One of my kids favorite activities at that age? Riding a city bus. So don't forget to make every day an opportunity to follow their bliss.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM

thanks guys.
SunGrinis,
excellent points. thank you! we plan to stop every couple of hours anyway. and the places i've identified so far are the places 'we' want to see, because you're right....kids will remember the feelings (ie. happy trip) more than the places!

Stagemomma,
i wanted to leave some stuff to chance and randomness. i don't want to plan the whole thing to the last detail...what's the fun in that? hehe
the key points i noted are places we really want to see (been to most of those places, minus mount rush and yellowstone but want to see them again)...but i just wanted to make sure we're not missing anything crazy amazing. hence this thread. (ie. i want to make sure i'm not missing a "Yosemite" or a "yellowstone" on our way that we're not aware of. know what i mean?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:13 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,995,746 times
You didn't say how you were traveling...by car, rv etc but places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are difficult to obtain lodging or camping without reservations and many places around both locations book up a year in advance. So if you dont have a place to stay already booked expect a long commute to the parks...... Mt. Rushmore can be very crazy in parts of Aug as the Sturgis motor cycle rally occurs the second week of August and that adds a couple hundred thousand bikers to the roads.
Should be a great trip if you have it planned properly or it could be the trip from hell if you dont....but either way it will be a trip you and your wife won't forget

Old 06-03-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
You didn't say how you were traveling...by car, rv etc but places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are difficult to obtain lodging or camping without reservations and many places around both locations book up a year in advance. So if you dont have a place to stay already booked expect a long commute to the parks...... Mt. Rushmore can be very crazy in parts of Aug as the Sturgis motor cycle rally occurs the second week of August and that adds a couple hundred thousand bikers to the roads.
Should be a great trip if you have it planned properly or it could be the trip from hell if you dont....but either way it will be a trip you and your wife won't forget
Hahaha great! Thanks!
I'm already afraid it might be the trip from he'll! With 3 kids!

Ps. We're driving in a large car and plan to do only hotels or cabins with showers if such things exist :-)

Old 06-06-2016, 02:08 PM

81 posts, read 118,770 times
Like others had mention, you probably want to book way ahead of time for the Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks because spaces are very limited. Nearest hotels/motels would be like 3+ hours away each way so (at least 6 hours driving back and forth). I would suggest you take the CA hwy 1 from Monterey to Orange county. It will be a slow drive but the scenery is one of the most beautiful drive that I ever experienced. Since Monterey is pretty close to San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge), you probably want to check that out too. You might also want to check out Grand Tetons while you're at Yellowstone. I would suggest you will need at least a week (7 days) at Yellowstone because the place is so big and 5 days at Yosemite. Good luck on the trip!!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,156,946 times
The Black Hills (Rushmore, etc.) are great for kids -- lots of attractions. Although yours might be too young for even the Hills. Google Black Hills and pick some places. One popular site is Devils Tower, in the Northern Black Hills of Wyoming, but there are dozens of other interesting places in the Hills.

While at Yellowstone, drop down and visit Teton National Park (Jackson Hole) for a day or two. The parks adjoin each other but offer different types of views. The Tetons are probably the most majestic mountains in the U.S.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,728,989 times
When we drove out to Yellowstone from just north of you with 3 kids aged 9-12, we stopped at the SPAM® Museum in Minnesota | SPAM® Brand and The World Famous Corn Palace | The World Famous Corn Palace and, yes, even South Dakota Road Trip Stop - we stayed in Sioux Falls, SD and visited the falls (strangely enough, there are falls!). The kids liked those stops, maybe not Wall Drug as much.

We discovered Junior Ranger programs at the national park sites. They mostly succeed at engaging the kids with the unique features of the site in collaboration. Our daughter will only do those by herself if mood suits.

On the way back possible ideas:

Our daughter likes visiting Asheville, NC so much we went back. Neither time did we go to the Biltmore Estate, there are many other things to do. One of those times we did a junior ranger program from the Cherokee visitor center of Great Smoky Mountains NP, that occupied them all day. Cherokee is much less crazy than the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg side.

The Red River Gorge Geological Area Daniel Boone National Forest - Special Places in Kentucky has natural stone arches, if the kids like climbing on rocks and scaring mom and dad it could be a nice pause on the drive.

I have not been but am looking for a way to incorporate Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art into a cross country trip.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:48 AM

10,314 posts, read 7,899,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
You didn't say how you were traveling...by car, rv etc but places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are difficult to obtain lodging or camping without reservations and many places around both locations book up a year in advance.
And here's a tip: don't believe the park websites when it comes to lodging availability. Call the concessionaire directly, and keep calling daily! The parks get a lot of cancellations, but there's enough demand for rooms/cabins that the canceled rooms may get rebooked long before they can be put back up on the website as available. If you call daily, the odds are much better that you'll eventually get the lodging you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing