Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 PM

652 posts, read 681,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I couldn't find an Apt for 2015's Winter so I used my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT as an RV... I put a Coleman Camp Cot in it as a bed and it enabled storage beneath this cot. Plus it's comfy. No water tanks to get frozen, or a toilet too. To 100% boondock I rely on mostly eating out 33% to 66% of the time, I buy a little water at a time, I did drink OJ and Soy Milk from the grocery stores and I wouldn't refrigerate it yet it would still last 3 days...

Toilet? Go to a public place for that --> restaurant, store, library, shopping mall, etc...

Showers? - Indoor public swimming pools, Chicago's Millennium Center [$3 shower], Truck Stop showers [$12], or I later got a Planetfitness $20 monthly Black Card membership [AWESOME DEAL, can shower every day if I want!].

NO LIMITATION THAT A CLASS A RV HAS! I'M VERY MOBILE AND I CAN PARK EVERYWHERE THAT MOST CLASS A'S CAN'T!

Now, I'm gonna upgrade - I will get a 7 x 14 cargo trailer and have it insulated. It's won't look like a dedicated RV so that I can boondock everywhere...

Sure beats the high cost of rent nowadays or owning real estate!

But I also towed my 99 Honda Civic HX everywhere as a toad and it functioned as a cargo trailer!
I've been thinking about getting a camper or a canopy for my 1986 dodge truck. I don't know if I would wanna live in it full-time or not. I just know that rent and prices for homes is not cheap here in WA State. So, my goal is to live off grid in a tiny house or something small but, still be comfortable. I probably be homeless if it wasn't for my family. However, I don't wanna live with my family forever.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 PM

422 posts, read 574,758 times
OP I admire your positive outlook, but what happens when your van needs a new transmission or motor to the tune of $3500? You said you were unemployed for 5 years. No one is unemployed that long unless they don't want to work. It's your life, but just make sure you don't end up becoming stranded with a huge vehicle bill and no way to pay it. Good luck sir.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Does OP's living arrangement bother you or impede your liberty in any way?
Does his response bother you?
Right or wrong people are entitled to their opinion

Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 50,034 times
I browse these topics with interest because at one point I imagined doing this, but don't you worry about someone stealing your "home" while you are in a public bathroom or showering at the gym? I think that anxiety alone kept me from living on the road. Had two opportunities to do it but couldn't get past this fear.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

If I am misapplying the use of the term, "Boondocking," - sorry. I meant I am "dry camping" without hookups, without paying an extremely stupid campsite fee, going everywhere in every city and rural place, - - and I've stopped by National Parks and a KOA and I find it extremely stupid to pay $35 to put up a TENT.

I don't need to usually pay for water, toilet, or a shower, but I can if I need to to avoid being a freeloader.

I view living and sleeping in my minivan as a "Class B" RV. I saw on Craigslist a 2002 Roadtrek 190 for $12500 or a Winnebago 2005 Rialta for $15000 but those were grabbed VERY QUICKLY, or else they were scam ads.

But a decked out custom 2017 7' x 14' Continental Cargo trailer, insulated and with the options to make it a cargo trailer / partial time use "RV" will cost me about $6500.

http://continentalcargotrailer.com/

Very nice lightweight aluminum trailer, but can't be customized with insulation and windows:

Home > Legend Trailers > Enclosed Trailers > Deluxe V Nose Cargo - Legend

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-07-2016 at 07:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 06:52 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
I view living and sleeping in my minivan as a "Class B" RV.
You can call your minivan Buckingham Palace if you want but that doesn't mean you'll be having tea with the Queen.

You could, however, have tea with me. My Class B Roadtrek is equipped with a complete galley: 2 burner stove, sink, refrigerator, microwave. Bathroom with toilet and shower. Solar panels. Awning. Outdoor shower. TV antenna, home theater system. At 19.5 feet long, it fits in a standard parking space (barely).

Quote:
I saw on Craigslist a 2002 Roadtrek 190 for $12500 or a Winnebago 2005 Rialta for $15000 but those were grabbed VERY QUICKLY, or else they were scam ads.
Those prices are very low, so they might have been scams. Here in the Bay Area we were faced with paying $45k for a 20 year old Roadtrek and I wasn't going to do it. That Rialta, in good condition, would go for about $40k here. So I bought a new RT. I use it all the time.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:09 AM

Hey fluffy, I admit a Roadtrek is going around in more style; I did want to buy that $12500 2002 Roadtrek 190 one on Craigslist. But once I get my $7000 after tax Custom Continental Cargo 7' x 14' trailer going I will have:

TWO 2 burner stoves - either my ozark mtn 2 burner propane stove or my gasoline burning capable Coleman Stove [a classic stove?]

sink - no need for the weight of a sink or heavy wood cabinet system, my one ceramic plate can be cleaned with my thumb and half a cup of water, dumped into the ground. Hence I carry NO HEAVY BLACK WATER TANK, at 8.5 lbs [?] per gallon?

refrigerator - I plan to get a 3 way refrigerator and run it on propane, and store it in my future cargo trailer. Maybe an $1150 Norco or Dometic.

microwave - I got a $20 thrift store 900 watt one [not installed yet] that'll probably run on my 1500 watt Statpower Prowatt Invertor. I got a high amperage capable AGM Kinetik battery from amazon, and this single AGM battery [but heavy one!] can probably have the proper high amperage draw to power a microwave. I tested running my other Microwave, Oven / Toaster combo [1400? watt] device directly connected to my 1500 Watt Statpower Invertor and it wanted to pull over 200 amps, so my current 160 amp alternator + battery was incapable of running a microwave. [- That combo microwave couldn't run at lower power level too, like 40% power or so].

See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- But why get or use a microwave when I cook on solar power? Do you know that if you put a Totino's Pizza within its sealed wrapper [or TV dinner] - bought in the morning... And leave it in the HOT sun on the dashboard or your vehicle, - that you will have a "cooked" pizza or tv dinner for lunch or dinner? I have really eaten a lot of Totino's Pizza and Banquet, Marie Callendar's, and Hungry Man TV Dinners ALL SOLAR COOKED ON MY VEHICLE DASHBOARD. But I admit, a microwave is A NICE OPTION.

Toilet - I made one with foam, a plastic bucket, lid, and 8 gallon garbage bag all from Walmart for around $6. May seem "hillbilly cheap" but actually it's an extremely lightweight "toilet system." No dump fee, you **** in a garbage bag and just dump the garbage bag frequently in any free garbage dump anywhere. No hassle of cleaning up your toilet too.

Shower - I will take a "Filipino Tabu bath" for infrequent emergency showers. A Tabu is a Filipno term foir a small hand pail that you fill with water from a bucket to pour water over your head. Hence no weight from a water pump, plumbing, and water heater system. Poor Filipinos take this kind of shower all the time in the Philippines. But this is only for backup shower capability when I go to cities with no Planetfitness Health Club. A Tabu bath can be done cheapest with a $2 5 gallon fill up of 40 cent per gallon water refills. I know water refill stations like this at certain rare grocery stores around Chicago. But my $20 monthly Planetfitness Black Card membership gives me the capability to take a shower every day in the 1000+ locations it has throughout America. A Roadtrek with a shower? Nice, but it's probably limited to a 20 gal freshwater tank, right? This past 1 month I logged 9 Planefitness showers at a guaranteed 10+ gallons per shower, so good luck trying that on that RV shower you got. That's why so many RV campers would rather have water hookups too, right? Oh, 9 $12 showers = $108+ in truck stop showers, so a Planetfitness membership is some really good thing going, plus I go for a workout, too. So a shower /sink system, although nice for an RV, is an added luxury, - but it is bulky, adds heavy water and equipment weight, and it decreases vehicle mpg and space. My shower system will be an extremely lightweight, portable and REMOVABLE system! It uses just a water bucket, Tabu, camping shower tent, some kind of catch basin, and / or a drain hole in the floor of my "Stealth Cargo RV trailer." But my main way of taking a shower is at Planetfitness. RV showers are VERY IMPRACTICAL AND INEFFICIENT. Really, I heard that boondocked RV showers are an art form of thrifty water usage!

Solar Power system - yes, I am figuring out that one too, but first I am trying to figure out the Solar Watt charging capability I need. I will get an MPPT charge controller too, - the BEST kind and most efficient type of solar charge controller. I think the most efficient Solar Panels out there now are the Sunpower ones, but there is probably a secret conspiracy out there to get rid of them, as they seem now harder to get...

I have yet to experiment on the solar water heating capabilities of my Solar Coleman $9 Walmart shower bags.

Awning - that is nice. But a Gazebo with an insect screen is better! It can go to the left or right side of your camper, or it can even go offsite of your camper, - like on that park picinc table. And I have two types of portable collapsible varying height camping tables. These can also be used as a portable desktop for my laptops or "Rv Capable" desktop system. I have yet to select the best gazebo yet, but that is something for future expense.

TV antenna - I bought a 50 mile HDTV nonamplified [the best one!] antenna in amazon. It connects to my Hauppage Dual TV tuner USB stick that lets me watch TWO HDTV CHANNELS AT THE SAME TIME ON MY LENOVO T420 OR T430 LAPTOPS, all capable of running 10 to 14 hours on battery power, or all day on less than a 100 Watt Solar Panel. Yeah, I've watched TWO TV CHANNELS while relaxing IN MY MINIVAN.

35 DB Yagi antenna - I have the best kind of antenna for capturing FREE Wifi signals. Most typical antennas are 5 db or less, but mine is directional though. I got this rare thing in a Kankakee computer shop, but there are Yagi antennas on amazon too.

HOME THEATER & STEREO SYSTEM - my T420 & T430 Lenovo laptops with my 3 Bluetooth / USB / Aux Input Speakers function as a very compact, portable, and power efficient "Home Theater / Stereo system." So I listen to over 112gbs of music, watch over 1gb of downloaded Youtube videos, or see HDTV on my power efficient, multi-use, and space efficient laptops. My current best Bluetooth Speaker - you can test it and buy it at Walmart, see: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BT350...etooth+speaker
-- This speaker is really awesome and fits in my waist pack to go everywhere!

Yeah, I've jammed on 5 hours of music and videos on my laptops relaxing at night on my minivan all on battery power. Or watching a movie too.

But this bluetooth speaker is the best one I've tested so far. I have yet to buy it but it is sold and demo'd at Kohl's too. https://www.amazon.com/House-Marley-...etooth+speaker

So my "Home Theater Stereo System" OUTCLASSES A TYPICAL RV HOME THEATER SYSTEM, as it is very portable, it entertains me at every restaurant, beach, or public place I go to bring it, it is extremely power and space efficient, and it is not LIMITED TO WITHIN MY "RV." It doesn't depend on using an inefficient typical RV system of going from 12V power through an Invertor. It all runs on laptop battery power or directly through 12V power, and is 12v solar power capable I also bought 12v power supply converters for my Lenovo T420 on ebay. And I have 112 GBs of MP3's on my Laptops [500+ worth of equivalent CDs?]; I have yet to burn my 250+ dvd collection to MPEG format on a dedicated 4tb external USB drive, to watch my movie collection everywhere.

PC Desktop system - I just recently bought an Asus ROG Gaming desktop on clearance at MicroCenter. This is a very unique desktop because it has two dual power supplies that provide TWO 12V inputs to the PC. Do you know what this means? This means that this desktop has the capability to RUN CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO A 12V BATTERY. I've already tested this concept on a RARE 22" Best Buy Insignia HDTV / HDMI / PC Monitor that has a power supply providing a 12V input - I directly ran this off a car 12V battery and it successfully ran without any damage. So I've already figured out HOW TO HAVE A DESKTOP PC ON MY "RV SYSTEM" TOO. Or have a laptop / dual monitor system all on 12V battery power.

So fluffy, your $98,000 Roadtrek system is a very nice ready made system, and it is the "Buckingham Palace" of compact Class B Rv stylin' AND IT'S EXPENSIVE AND MAKES YOU LOOK RICH, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT! It just needs to haul a cargo trailer for your extra stuff, but you get 15 to 16 mpg hwy max on your Roadtrek. This past week towing my 1999 Honda Civic HX I got 17.1 mpg at worst hwy running 100% A/C in the hot weather. Without A/C I can get a maximum 20.3 mpg hwy - but I also have a Yakima 21 Pro and Thule Sonic XXL cargo boxes on top of my vehicles.

But my "Beverly Hillbilly" minivan towing a vehicle or stealth RV cargo trailer system concept is potentially maybe the best most efficient "RV / urban stealth camping system" out there. You know, I did once WORK FOR NASA on the Space Shuttle, Space Station, and Lunar Lander Projects. So I do know my technology / high technology, methods, and mechanical engineering systems. I'm high tech although you don't know that. And my stealth RV system is actually high tech too, although it may seem hillybilly and "homeless technology" instead [like that Walmart bucket toilet]. But I am homeless with a Net Worth of $500,000+ I am just in this situation because I have inheritance and unemployment problems, and I have to thriftily survive on my SSDI.

So enjoy the show! And my minivan / stealth RV system once fully configured and outlaid will maybe cost an estimated $21,000 total max, vs a $98,000 Roadtrek! I can go everywhere, steath "boondock" urban camp everywhere, RV FT even in winter without winterizing, and see America ON THE CHEAP!

My Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT tow package minivan - $5750
A decked out custom Continental Cargo Trailer after tax and delivery estimate - $7200
My extra stuff I bought -- $$$???
A good solar power system is expensive, that's why...

Last edited by JTE1969; 07-23-2016 at 07:48 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 06:11 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

If you are interested in the lifestyle or its many different facets, I suggest: Cheap RV Living.com-Home and the documentary linked to the website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-07-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:23 AM

Wow, anywhereElse... Thanks for the support and the term definition on boondocking. I am a somewhat new newbie on camping and RVing concepts too... I don't know all the intricacies about camping but I've been learning or self developing"technologies," concepts, or more efficient RV methods from real-life experience since this past Oct 2015 and on...

Like it would be nice to have a nice 3100 watt generator like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZQUSAC...=IAMAWS9D94U8B

- But do I need that and can I eliminate that 95 lb heavy thing when I have to drive around somewhat to not "stealth boondock sleep" at the same shopping mall or Walmart parking lot each night... I can buy a hot modded 240 amp alternator to replace the tow package model 160 amp stock Dodge alternator that I have to potentially eliminate the need for a generator... So maybe with this to quickly charge a two battery bank of that Kinectik battery I bought will this suffice to have an adequately capable battery bank to:
1) supply my potential refridgerator system of the most 12V battery efficient there is RV refrigerator,
2) an 8000 btu Frigidaire 12.00 EER 5.9 amp A/C system in that trailer that I'd use, just employ timed use to run enough for me to comfortably go to sleep in my makeshift RV cargo trailer.
3) a 12v directly plugged ASUS ROG desktop PC? The most power efficient way to have an RV desktop pc [I have to test this concept but I'm scared to risk the $778 I spent on it] because it's direct 12v wiring capable [I'd say, as the power supply goes into the pc as two 12V plugs.] But it's 12V PS could be carefully regulated, then it could be dangerous. Direct 12v plug in capability eliminates the need for a 120v invertor. The pc is like this:https://www.amazon.com/Asus-G20AJ-US...words=asus+rog

Is this refrigerator the most efficient yet unrecognized best RV refrigerator but is it crazy expensive at 653.74 for 1.8 CF or have I not looked hard enough on the internet for the best one? See: https://www.altestore.com/store/refr...freezer-p7188/

This is nice toy stuff that's really good RV technology to have...

And that primitive looking hillbilly $6 walmart toilet bucket is actually "NASA Technology." It's lightweight, extremely portable, has a tight lid to seal in the smell, it's extremely cost efficient, and it's extremely practical that you don't have to deal with the nasty experience of emptying RV Waste Tanks or $5 waste dump fee. NASA technology? Sounds like bunk... But sometimes the simplest and best possible solution stares at you in your face and you don't what you've encountered.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
And that primitive looking hillbilly $6 walmart toilet bucket is actually "NASA Technology." It's lightweight, extremely portable, has a tight lid to seal in the smell, it's extremely cost efficient, and it's extremely practical that you don't have to deal with the nasty experience of emptying RV Waste Tanks or $5 waste dump fee. NASA technology? Sounds like bunk... But sometimes the simplest and best possible solution stares at you in your face and you don't what you've encountered.
How do you 'empty' it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing