Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 PM

165 posts, read 328,995 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I are wanting to buy a TT for vacations and weekend camping but it's a bit overwhelming. There are so many brands, options, layouts, etc. I'm trying to figure out which is best for us (me, husband and 3 kids) and which size is most manageable for our first attempt at this. Initially I wanted something smaller, like less than 25' but with the 3 kids I think that might be too small (I'd love something with bunks). We have not decided yet if we're buying new or used. Obviously used prices are better but water damage from leaks seems common and concerns me. I don't want to find any soft spots after we get it home and have to dump a bunch of money into repairing it right off the bat.

I know the most important thing is to make sure we get something that isn't too big for our truck to pull, especially when all loaded up. I've read that we should look underneath it for rust, look for soft spots and black mold, and rusty screws on the outside which indicates water damage. Apparently the appliances, especially the refrigerator, are very expensive to repair/replace so we will make sure those are in good working order.

Any other words of wisdom from the experts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Sure, first it appears this will be your 1st TT and that you are inexperienced in owning one. If that is the case and you can afford new that is the route you should go. Yes there are some great deals out there on used TT's but unfortunately there are some really bad deals out there also. It does not take much to hide even major needed repairs to a TT and if you don't know what to look for you will never catch it until after you paid your hard earned money to someone and then your great deal is not a great deal any more, it's a money pit you can't ever seem to get fixed.

Buying new gives you a clean slate with no unknown history issues and a full factory warranty to take care of any of the new TT issues. Plus it allows you to pick out the exact unit you want with the options, colors etc that suit you best. I strongly suggest you go with a bunkhouse TT model that offers at least 3 bunks so each of your kids have their own space. Some of the larger TT's that offer the bunk room option will have the bunks, a sofa, TV etc all in one room so the kids will have a place away from you and your husband which is nice. Going with a floor plan that does not offer this option means you will have to break down/set up the sofa/dinette every evening and every morning for sleeping areas which will get old quick. Plus remember the kids will grow bigger, the TT won't.

First figure out what the tow rating is for your truck and then use the 80% rule when towing. Then go look at as many TT's as you can that are under that number. A great place to start is with your local dealers. Also try and go to a few rv shows. Ask your neighbors, coworkers etc and find someone local that has allot of experence in rving...become that persons best new friend and let that person teach you about TT's. Try and get this person to go with you to look at TT's so he/she can show you the pros and cons of each unit.

Last edited by rtandc; 08-18-2016 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
First don't listen to salesmen, they'll all lie and tell you anything they can to sell you something.

When looking at trailers ignore the 'dry weight' because it will never be that light. Go by the GVWR (max weight) of the trailer and listen to rtandc's advice about not getting something over 80% of the trucks max tow weight. Yes you can go to it's max, but how many things do you know of that perform their best when maxed out? Not many. If you have a 1/2 ton truck you'll probably need a smaller camper than you think. They list high towing limits but half tons often run out of payload before reaching max tow limits.

If you want lots of sleeping space with a small trailer length look at the 'hybrid' trailers like the Coachmen 23 TQX. The beds tilt out, sort of like the beds on a popup camper, giving you lots of bed space with a shorter camper.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:48 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post
Hi all! My husband and I are wanting to buy a TT for vacations and weekend camping but it's a bit overwhelming. There are so many brands, options, layouts, etc. I'm trying to figure out which is best for us (me, husband and 3 kids) and which size is most manageable for our first attempt at this. Initially I wanted something smaller, like less than 25' but with the 3 kids I think that might be too small (I'd love something with bunks). We have not decided yet if we're buying new or used. Obviously used prices are better but water damage from leaks seems common and concerns me. I don't want to find any soft spots after we get it home and have to dump a bunch of money into repairing it right off the bat.

I know the most important thing is to make sure we get something that isn't too big for our truck to pull, especially when all loaded up. I've read that we should look underneath it for rust, look for soft spots and black mold, and rusty screws on the outside which indicates water damage. Apparently the appliances, especially the refrigerator, are very expensive to repair/replace so we will make sure those are in good working order.

Any other words of wisdom from the experts?

Thanks!
Listen closely: "Buy used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 08-19-2016, 03:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out which is best for us (me, husband and 3 kids)
and which size is most manageable for our first attempt at this.
Don't guess with the purchase.
Rent (or borrow) a couple types/makes and try them for a week at a time.

THEN decide if you still want one at all ...
and if so you'll have YOUR OWN experience to base opinions on.
(new vs used; feature X vs Y, etc)

The car/truck to pull it with will matter more than the specific trailer.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Listen closely: "Buy used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Not really as good advice with a TT, unless you know that particular rig and it's history. New, with an extended warranty, will usually be the best for getting a quality rig and having any problems taken care of before they get big. yes, you can get good deals on used trailers, but that good deal can sour you on vacationing in a hurry if something big is wrong with it while out at a campsite and YOU have to pay to fix it.

Most travel trailers use the same basic mechanical parts: water pumps, tanks, water heaters, furnaces, refrigerators, etc, with just slight variations in size (seriously there are only a couple brands that make those parts, so every trailer uses them). The differences in trailers comes in sizes and build quality.

For quality, look to the now common fiberglass composite construction (fiberglass skin, foam core, luan inner wall) vs the older corrugated aluminum over 1x1 pine that is stapled and glued together. Check the type of materials inside, like the cabinet doors and their hinges. Make sure all windows are sealed properly and look at the materials used in the upholstery. It's pretty obvious; when something looks weak, it probably is. best quality is full metal construction, like the Airstreams, but you WILL pay more for it.

For size, you want, as was mentioned, to stay within 80% of your tow vehicle's rating. The tow vehicle will make the biggest difference in what you can get away with. No need for a 2500HD diesel truck to tow an 18 ft hybrid, but don't try to tow a 27 ft bunkhouse with a typical midsize SUV, either.

Our first TT was a 19ft hybrid, meaning the trailer was a standard construction trailer with fold out ends similar to the beds of a pop-up camper. it had a great floor plan that allowed for a real bathroom and kitchen, had 2 queen size beds, and weighed well under our tow vehicle's limit:

Good first rig and was perfect for the family at the time.

If you do need more space, even the ultralight bunkhouse models may be out of tow range for the typical SUV or light pickup. So at that point, you want to factor in a good tow vehicle to the cost. With 3 kids, that usually means a crew cab pickup or Suburban. I tried for a bit with an extended cab HD pickup when we moved to a larger trailer, but the reality was that it didn't do the job well for getting kids and dogs in the back seat. And a typical crew cab pickup is also going to be a long bed and just real long to park and use when not camping. I decided that this tow vehicle was not a good fit:

And switched to a Suburban 2500, which is a great driver when not towing, and easy to get people in and out of the back seat of. And cheaper, to boot:

OP, you didn't mention what kind of tow vehicle you will be using. If you tell us that, we can give recommendations on what trailers to look at (size, features, etc).

Old 08-20-2016, 02:40 PM

165 posts, read 328,995 times
Thanks so much everyone! We are very new to this so all advice is welcome

Tiffer E38: we will be towing with a Ford F150 FX4 w/tow package. Max tow weight is 9700lbs.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:52 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:

Tiffer E38: we will be towing with a Ford F150 FX4 w/tow package. Max tow weight is 9700lbs.
Something like the Rockwood Mini Light 2505 S would be a good choice. Bunks and a murphy bed.

Rockwood Mini Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Look for something of this size and weight. (it's about 6000lbs loaded up with cargo and water).

Old 08-23-2016, 04:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Whats a realistic estimate of your usage of this TT?, if its just for a couple of weeks per year you might be better off just renting a unit,no repair or maintenance hassles no parking the thing for most of the year.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:52 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What will you use the trailer for? That is the critical question.

I use mine for off-road camping, so small is better for getting into tight places. Mine has off road suspension. I had a 26 footer and it was too big so I down sized to 21 feet. That's enough room, because we are camping and are outdoors except to sleep. (although, it sure is nice to sit indoors if it starts snowing or raining hard)

With 3 kids I think I would look at the type called a "bunkhouse". There are two sturdy bunk beds in a nice compartment that is a great place for cargo that opens to the outside, for things like deck chairs and the barbecue. I think you must go to 26 feet to get one of those. They would work well for a family with kids.

One thing to consider, if you can pull a slightly longer one is that about 26 feet and over, it is possible to get a travel trailer with a front and a back door. That might be nice for fire safety with small kids who would not be strong enough to break a back window.

Shopping hint: whoever is the largest person in the family should sit on the toilet and evaluate the room before you purchase. Also, with 3 kids, definitely get a trailer large enough for a bathroom. You might never use the shower, but you can't beat that toilet when you travel. Kids need a stop? You can pull over at a wide place in the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing