Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:13 PM

600 posts, read 609,471 times

Advertisements

I would like to sell my house and go on the road for a year or so while I'm thinking about where I want to live next. One person, no pets. Will be transporting a bike and a kayak. Staying at campgrounds and stealth camping. Cost of the vehicle, gas, and maintenance is a big consideration. My goal is to simplify my life without saddling myself with too much hardship. I have a lot of experience in the outdoors, very comfortable camping. But basics like a good night's sleep and the ability to store and prepare healthy food are important.

Some questions:

1) What factors should I consider in looking for a vehicle that I can live in?

2) I'm looking at the Ford Transit Connect. Would it be suitable to live in?

3) I'm very concerned about heat and cold. I will follow the good weather---cool in summer, warm in winter---but the thought of sleeping in a hot RV is awful. So how do you keep an RV between 55 and 65 year round?

4) What are your favorite areas of the country for winter and summer?

Thanks very much for your input!

Old 09-20-2016, 06:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Look to Mtns or coast for summer
SW USA for winter (TX to CA)

Transit Connect is too small, and WAY too expensive (IMHO)

I would be doing LOTS of house / pet / plant sitting. (For extended stays)

Get a self contained something, I prefer diesel for economy / burning free WVO / longevity.
I would probably convert a used airport bus (with a correct road axle ratio).

You can also find Class B vans that are FSC. ($2500 - $25,000 used)

Old 09-20-2016, 06:20 PM

4,580 posts, read 6,296,300 times
Ford Transit Connect. Would it be suitable to live in?".....No

So how do you keep an RV between 55 and 65 year round?"....you don't.

An RV AC unit is designed to cool the outside temperature by 20 degrees, we had two 15K units in our RV, summered in Oregon, wintered in Yuma, no way we could or would keep it at 65 degrees in the summer. I suppose you could if you were on the Oregon coast, as it is a lot cooler there. 65 in the winter, (even in Yuma it will get to low the 30's on occasion).... no problem with an aux heater. Our RV was built for fulltiming, lots of insulation, you are proposing living in a SUV with no aux. AC or heat...you need to do more research. Wait for an RV show in your area, go look and learn. Go to an RV park, talk to fulltimers, they will be happy to share infomation.

Good Luck, it is a wonderful way to live/travel.
Gemstone1

Old 09-22-2016, 12:08 AM

473 posts, read 499,782 times
I know the fiberglass casita trailers are VERY popular if you can get around no bed and no formal tub/shower, is shower head over sink/toilet. These are very durable. Do not leak very easily as they have seam down the middle horizontally that hooks together two bodies, top and bottom. Can pick your towing vehicle and don't think the trailers are very heavy anyway. May retain temperature better due to fiberglass body?

Amazon in TX and some other sites takes seasonal workers who live on site in travel trailers/RV. Can find TONS of temporary, groundskeeping or volunteer trades on Craigslist for all over the country.

Is VERY cheap option to camp at fairgrounds in small town county seats for about $10. Sometimes showers/bathrooms are available. Some have swimming pools. Not felon friendly and cops do stop by to run your background sometimes so plan accordingly. These sites usually have hookups.

Best advice I ever heard was lady camper who just filled her water tanks as needed, usually at dump stations, and only hooked up to electric at night. RV was suggested by more women as you can just start it, lay on horn and drive away. If you drive away with water hooked up, you damage rig but if just electric hooked up, there is usually no damage. Better not to use jacks camping alone.... Many small town camping sites want you to pay by check at city hall or drop box. If you file a complaint about whatever is 'wrong' with some small towns, you may have your bank account raided. Can be better just to drive to next town and sleep til morning if you find something wrong back there and forget it all unless you need an insurance claim, which requires a police report. Credit card use is easier to deal with than using debit card if you have any unauthorized charges, plus no $250 holds on checking account for $50 in gas purchased at pump with debit card..

Blowup kayaks can be really nice option too if you are alone and don't want to lift it to top of vehicle alone.

Last edited by cattalk1; 09-22-2016 at 12:19 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 PM

600 posts, read 609,471 times
Thanks very much for the information so far. I won't be in need of a job as I have work that I can take anywhere. I'm looking for something small and motorized, not a trailer.

How come the Ford Transit Connect is too small? What do you consider the minimum comfortable dimensions for one person? I'm assuming I would be spending a lot of time outdoors, in libraries, etc. Not always in the vehicle. I could also use a tent in addition to the vehicle. A four-person tent with a 15" high cot is quite comfortable.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:13 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,889,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Thanks very much for the information so far. I won't be in need of a job as I have work that I can take anywhere. I'm looking for something small and motorized, not a trailer.

How come the Ford Transit Connect is too small?
I looked at the older Transit Connects, not the new model. I'm referring to the two-seater cargo van. I am 5'4" and even sleeping diagonally on a platform in the back there would not be room to stretch out.

I also talked to several owners and one guy who drives one for his work. He pointed out that they are not insulated AT ALL and are very noisy on the road. Plus no insulation means chilly nights most of the time. I also realized there would be no room for food storage and prep and certainly no toilet facilities. No thanks.

Quote:
the thought of sleeping in a hot RV is awful. So how do you keep an RV between 55 and 65 year round?
You get something that has a fan in the "house." I have a Fan-Tastic Vent Fan on the roof of my van with a remote. I can program it to any reasonable temperature and it does the rest. I have A/C as well but hardly ever use it because it is LOUD. The fan is whisper-soft.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:34 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,889,108 times
You might check out Glenn Morrissette's blog:

To Simplify 2.0

He's on the road full-time and arranges music for TV shows, so he can work anywhere he has Internet access.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,879,090 times
You might try out a blog or two about Cheap RV living. Some guys live on not a whole lot. Most of them are doing it in vans. That makes more sense. You can buy used very cheap. A new Ford Transits quite an investment. But there's all kinds of info on YouTube of guys who have converted vans to live in.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,203,980 times
Check out the Cheap RV Living website and ask around there - they know everything about what you're asking.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,248,397 times
I hear Matt Foley has some top tips...

Realistically though, I'd look for a used high top Sprinter. At least that way you can walk in it, plus the height helps dissipate the heat. The RV conversion ones are spendy, but you can get a cargo, sprayfoam insulate the cargo area, look at either a portable or rooftop AC unit along with a roof vent and you should be good. Also with the high top, you can probably do the Kayak inside the van for additional security.

Run on diesel, MB engines that are virtually bulletproof, and you're set. Free camp everywhere on the Forestry reserves, the Forest service provides some really good maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.