Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Bumping this thread---any plans for 2019 yet?

I already have a week long camping trip and two weekends planned.

I am kicking myself because there was a tent I was stalking but didn't want to buy it without being able to test it out right after (not going camping for months from now) and now it's sold out with no plans to return.

Has anyone camped in the Great Smoky Mountains?
I have booked sites for Memorial day and 4th of July weekends. Yes, I have camped in the Smoky mountains and recommend Clabough's campground Sevierville TN. Close to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:54 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
Has anyone camped in the Great Smoky Mountains?
Why yes. What are you looking for in the way of camp a site? Will you be in N Carolina, TN or both?

Old 03-20-2019, 11:56 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Why yes. What are you looking for in the way of camp a site? Will you be in N Carolina, TN or both?

Just a decent tent site. I like a little bit of privacy---not big, open sites. We'll probably stick mostly to TN.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 PM

For the smokies, timing is everything. For the big campgrounds, show up on a Sunday night or Monday morning to gage where others are camping and try for a spot without immediate neighbors. I think you'll find the most privacy at Elkmont, it is popular but expands as the season progresses. There is more ground level vegetation than Cades Cove. All the reserved spots are right next to each other, that's why I recommend winging it. The Cosby campground is never full, your privacy will depend on how close are the neighbors. Cosby could be a fallback if elkmont is full. Big creek is unique because you camp 50 - 100 yards from the parking area. It is one of my favorite spots. Reservations are required so I'll PM you the most secluded site if you go that route.

What time of year is your trip?

Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 AM

I need to mention if your trip is planned for late may/ early june when the fireflies are in season you won't find a campsite at Elkmont. You need to enter a lottery just to buy a parking spot at the visitor center and ride to the area in a van.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Thanks creeksitter. Things are still up in the air now because of some new jobs but we'll see what happens.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM

239 posts, read 155,689 times
I love tent camping. I used to do it a lot in the years after college. My girlfriend at the time was an avid outdoor person, and we hiked a lot. I bought one of those 3 pole dome tents from Walmart. We slept on blankets and sleeping bags. We carried our own water and camped out of a car. A few years ago, I took the tent out of storage and set it up. There, on the wall, was my ex-gf's dusty footprint. Lots of good memories in that tent....er, with that tent, lol.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
My husband and I are in our 70s and we still camp in a tent. We travel all over the country every summer, and do a mixture of camping and staying in motels.

We still use our very old Eureka canvas 12' x 12' tent that goes up fairly easily with two people. Sometimes its hard to find a campground with tent sites big enough for our tent. Plenty of room inside for our king size air mattress and I like the fact that we can stand up inside.

And we still use our Coleman cook stove from the 1980s!

Old 05-31-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I need to mention if your trip is planned for late may/ early june when the fireflies are in season you won't find a campsite at Elkmont. You need to enter a lottery just to buy a parking spot at the visitor center and ride to the area in a van.
We ended up camping in Shenandoah, which was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My husband and I are in our 70s and we still camp in a tent. We travel all over the country every summer, and do a mixture of camping and staying in motels.

We still use our very old Eureka canvas 12' x 12' tent that goes up fairly easily with two people. Sometimes its hard to find a campground with tent sites big enough for our tent. Plenty of room inside for our king size air mattress and I like the fact that we can stand up inside.

And we still use our Coleman cook stove from the 1980s!
We just bought a new tent and it's replacing our cheap pop-up from Walmart that we've been using for the past six years. Honestly it isn't a bad tent and she held up very well. (Little things here and there aren't great but overall, not bad!) If I had the room, I would probably keep it for the short trips because pop-ups are so easy.

I saw recently that the newer version of the Coleman stove we have has little flaps so that it keeps the wind from killing your flame. Would've been nice with the windy weather we had recently camping!

Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

I saw recently that the newer version of the Coleman stove we have has little flaps so that it keeps the wind from killing your flame. Would've been nice with the windy weather we had recently camping!
Our old Coleman stove has those flaps. Every time we use it, I'm glad the flaps are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing