Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Retirement is around the corner, and we were thinking about what to do next. What I thought about was living in an RV (with a toad for shopping, sightseeing) for a year or so, travel and look for our "perfect place" to settle. Then just use the RV for vacations or snowbirding (providing we don't end up south anyway).

Question #1- Hubbie was told never get an RV with slides because the slides are always breaking down, even on new RVs, and that they are just not worth the hassle. Is that so? What happens if a slide is broken extended- how would you close it to get it to a repair shop? I like the extra room they give.

Question #2- What would happen if you DO breakdown? I can see getting towed to a repair shop, but where would WE stay? We would have dogs with us. I heard some ppl actually stay at the shop in the RV even if it takes a few days for parts or repairs. Is that true?

What is your experience? Thanks for all responses.

I'll answer these in order.

1. Slides are actually pretty nice to have. They provide a lot more room than you can get otherwise and make the space not so claustrophobic. All slides have a built in mechanism that allows them to be manually retracted in the event of a failure. We had one of our slides get stuck in the extended position this past weekend. I simply lifted the mattress, and cranked it in by hand to get it back home. As with ANYTHING mechanical, at some point it can and will fail. There are typically safeguards in place to allow you to continue on in the meantime. A good warranty covers the replacement of these items as well. We have a 4 year warranty that can be extended yearly for a $150 dollars per year once the initial period is up (and will pay out up to the current NADA value of the rv). It covers the roof, all mechanical items, electrical, axles, walls, appliances, etc...

2. If you carry an extended warranty and/or a good rv insurance policy, many cover these sorts of things. Our warranty provides us with lodging reimbursement, food reimbursement, and any other cost associated with being unable to use the rv during a breakdown. Our insurance policy does the same, but also includes a roadside towing service for the rv in the event that we cannot move it on our own.

Some dealerships do have hookups on-site in the event that you need to stay in the rv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:32 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We saw a guy on I-10 between Tuscon and Phoenix towing a large trailer with the slide extended, that looked spooky. I have to think that was because it malfunctioned and would not retract.

Had that been further east on I-10 in Texas a few years ago, that would have probably been us. Coming home from California, one of the slides kept creeping out, only about three inches, but still..... We'd stop every 40 miles or so and hit the switch to pull it back in. We only had two more days on the road and didn't want to get it fixed until we got home and could take it to our regular place. Not a huge problem, but nervewracking nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing