Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Op, we did just about what your plan is. It has worked fine, but we did learn something. Hauling your house down the road tends to break things. Plan on maint., and being able to fix the little things on your own. And buying an expensive brand doesn't promise this will not happen. They break just as bad as the cheap ones.
The better ones have better chassis and drive train. They appear have some better things inside and a stronger frame. I still expect little things to break. Some things are no better or not much better like cabinet hinges. It appears after a certain level, all the slides are one of two or three types and it seems like slides are the biggest leave you stranded thing that is most likely to break.

Looking at New Horizon fifth wheels now and they seem absurdly low to the ground. Don't the bottom out constantly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:41 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times
As far as traveling with your bird. Ask on the Florida or possibly the retirement posts. I have traveled up and down I-95 from NY to Fla many times and have seen birdcages in back seats. Maybe a snowbirder can give you some pointers on traveling with a bird.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM

424 posts, read 579,751 times
We were full-timer's for 9 years. Sold the house and everything in it except for personal memorabilia and loved every minute of it. The house was 90% paid for and we invested the money We started out in a 32 ft (no slides) Class A gas that was paid for. After 3 years purchased a pre-owned 40ft diesel pusher (no slides). Made a substantial down-payment (from sale of home) to insure that we wouldn't be caught short with our income. After we decided to settle down again we had enough money left from the sale of the home to make a very substantial down-payment on our new home. As long as you don't go overboard on your expenses and have a steady income (retirement and/or investment) you should not have any problems. We met quite a few people that were also full-timers and the majority of them realized that at one point they will have to quit and settle down and they made sure they could do so monetarily.
Only one thing one should remember and it is important. Make sure that you and your spouse are best friends!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 PM

We have narrowed things down a bit. If we go with a motor home, we will get one with a Detroit Diesel Series 60. A quality custom chassis and probably a steerable tag axle. Probably Newmar, Monaco, Beaver, HR or possibly Newell. We want a rear bathroom with a closet and W/D and maybe a half bath. A removable induction stove that you can take outside to cook smelly things (can be added), two 3000 W inverters (unless something better comes out), a 10 -12.5 KK generator, and solar (can also be added).

Also we will replace the shower with a floor level shower rather than a step up if possible so there is more headroom in the shower. IF it does not have macerator toilets, we will switch to them.

It will probably be a 2005 -2008. I will likely have between 40K and 150K miles. A side radiator. atleast 100/75/75 tanks and a 10,000 to 20,000 towing capacity.

Alternately we may still consider a 5th wheel by Luxe, VanLeigh, New Horizon or 2012 or earlier DRV Mobile Suites, but we are becoming less and less enamored of that option as we investigate more.

We are making some progress. We will have it narrowed down in another year or so. One we know what we want, we can start working towards a path to get there.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:31 PM

We have made some progress!

80% certain we will go with a 2004-2008 Prevost Royale and a Jeep Gladiator toad. I anticipate by that time they will run about $150k - $200K and we will need to put another $30K or so into it, plus an emergency repair fund.

We have a plan to complete and sell the house and pay off all of our debt. Now we need to work in choosing a location for a small home that we will likely rent out until we decide we have to leave the road (time to die).

Before buying a Prevost, we will buy an inexpensive old beater gas RV just to try things out.

We have started getting rid of stuff. That will take a lot of work and a long time. We are focusing on the middle stuff. Junky stuff that needs repair or should just be tossed, obviously cannot be sold. Really nice things, we want to continue to enjoy for a while and maybe give to the kids. The middle stuff seems to sell better/faster anyway and we just do not need so much stuff.

Eventually we will use some of the stuff proceeds to buy a pair of nice kayaks and nice bicycles.

The hard part is trying to come up with a budget, and determine how much retirement savings is likely to be enough.

It is kind of fun picking out things we might like to do to change in an older Prevost Royale. Probabilities include:

Bed and mattress - adjustable hospital type probably with a sleep number bed. Incredibly expensive, but a big issue for wife.

Replace shower enclosure (for a taller one) and shower fixtures (probably sink fixtures as well).

Possibly replace driver/passenger seats for better quality/more comfortable (depends on what is there).

Upgrade solar as much as possible. Possibly with lithium batteries. the most power I have seen is 4500 watts. Not sure how practical that is.

If it has a J couch - replace it with some comfortable chairs or a chair and a desk.

Add some artistic trim to the woodwork.

Remove as much interior chrome, mirrors and plastic as possible.

Replace toilets with ceramic (probably macerator) on a raised spacer.

Convert range to a removable induction range that can be used outside as well as inside.

Eliminate any propane or gas powered items.

Install latest/greatest sat internet unit.

Maybe update television and stereo, but probably not.

Of course we will do all the normal prep stuff that is necessary - new tires, fluids, belts, etc.

We may look to buy some empty property near the various kids as they settle in more. Long term RV spaces are not easy to find in some areas.

It is nice to have some decision making done or at least tentatively done. Now we have something to work towards.

Still could have wrench thrown into the concepts: health issues; financial issues; Bernie Sanders or someone getting into power and taking away our retirement savings; diesel engines becoming outlawed or impractical; kids change their minds and move back near home. All of these things are pretty unlikely.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM

290 posts, read 249,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of them that i looked at had a trailer hitch on the back of the 5th wheel. What woudl that be for can you tow a boat, car or small enclosed trailer behind the 5th wheel trailer? Seems dangerous.

Note my username. Not dangerous at all, as long as you have brakes for all the wheels. We did* it for decades, spanning 3 different rigs and it works out fine. The problem is, it's not legal in all states, and I think the length limit is 65 feet everywhere it's legal. That won't be possible with the sizes you're considering. Here's a pic of one rig, with our 22 foot ski boat behind.

I assume the receiver hitch on large 5th wheels is for attaching some sort of storage rack (bike, etc.).

*Past tense. Our toys (trailer and boat) kept growing and are too large to tow in tandem.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:46 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I watch utubes on rving, van living, etc.

An interesting retired couple is , you, me & the rv. They just installed solar but have been traveling for quite awhile now. Interesting couple.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have made some progress!

80% certain we will go with a 2004-2008 Prevost Royale and a Jeep Gladiator toad. I anticipate by that time they will run about $150k - $200K and we will need to put another $30K or so into it, plus an emergency repair fund.

We have a plan to complete and sell the house and pay off all of our debt. Now we need to work in choosing a location for a small home that we will likely rent out until we decide we have to leave the road (time to die).

Before buying a Prevost, we will buy an inexpensive old beater gas RV just to try things out.

We have started getting rid of stuff. That will take a lot of work and a long time. We are focusing on the middle stuff. Junky stuff that needs repair or should just be tossed, obviously cannot be sold. Really nice things, we want to continue to enjoy for a while and maybe give to the kids. The middle stuff seems to sell better/faster anyway and we just do not need so much stuff.

Eventually we will use some of the stuff proceeds to buy a pair of nice kayaks and nice bicycles.

The hard part is trying to come up with a budget, and determine how much retirement savings is likely to be enough.

It is kind of fun picking out things we might like to do to change in an older Prevost Royale. Probabilities include:

Bed and mattress - adjustable hospital type probably with a sleep number bed. Incredibly expensive, but a big issue for wife.

Replace shower enclosure (for a taller one) and shower fixtures (probably sink fixtures as well).

Possibly replace driver/passenger seats for better quality/more comfortable (depends on what is there).

Upgrade solar as much as possible. Possibly with lithium batteries. the most power I have seen is 4500 watts. Not sure how practical that is.

If it has a J couch - replace it with some comfortable chairs or a chair and a desk.

Add some artistic trim to the woodwork.

Remove as much interior chrome, mirrors and plastic as possible.

Replace toilets with ceramic (probably macerator) on a raised spacer.

Convert range to a removable induction range that can be used outside as well as inside.

Eliminate any propane or gas powered items.

Install latest/greatest sat internet unit.

Maybe update television and stereo, but probably not.

Of course we will do all the normal prep stuff that is necessary - new tires, fluids, belts, etc.

We may look to buy some empty property near the various kids as they settle in more. Long term RV spaces are not easy to find in some areas.

It is nice to have some decision making done or at least tentatively done. Now we have something to work towards.

Still could have wrench thrown into the concepts: health issues; financial issues; Bernie Sanders or someone getting into power and taking away our retirement savings; diesel engines becoming outlawed or impractical; kids change their minds and move back near home. All of these things are pretty unlikely.
Thanks for the follow-up, and I hope you post again after the big purchase. I might also suggest just for fun that you look at the "Great American Country" channel, if available on your cable/satellite system. On Wednesdays they show repeats over and over of "Big Time RV" and "Going RV" from 6am-3:30am Thursdays. While they are typically 5-6 years old, that would be closer to the age you are considering, and could give you many ideas.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:51 AM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
last year 6 week trip was enough for us - driving more than 300 miles is just tiring period. we decided 300 miles max and one or two days to get to any location then a min stay of 5 days if not longer- 2 to set up and break down and min 3 to just sight see

we have 35 foot 5th wheel used KOA, truck stops and BLM lands and national parks. we found we needed some personal time each week - i went fishing or sighting seeing or a hike -see went shopping etc- but even with two slides it get tight and cramped - we had two snow days Yellowstone and went stir crazy -

we decided right there and there full timing was not for us - we might consider camp host in a great location in the high heat in central texas for a couple months but full time - NOT

we also found national parks were hard to find spots for a 35 footer - state parks were not easy but easier - we can boon dick 5 days with our onboard water and gen set and extra 5 gallons but after that we got to dump and load up again

i agree you should buy or rent a beater and go for a extended time and location - 1500 mile min and 30 days and see what gives -having a bit more room in a nicer coach still wont let you "get away " as you can only go so far- 30 feet or outside?

another idea of trying out first you get a good feeling of the must haves - we found as we are 6 feet and taller we HAD to have high ceiling even in the bedroom - HAD to have room on both sides of the bed to make the midnight run - HAD to have storage or room for the gen set, HAD to have recliners and HAD to have a table with chairs not a bench seat

we also found out what its like to not have a jake break on the diesel going down 6-7 hill - with 15k pushing the hell out of you - can you say white knuckles? ran to Banks and added auto brake and wow i dont have to clean my drawers going done hill - most of the newer trucks have them now -

good luck and have fun

Old 02-27-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
last year 6 week trip was enough for us - driving more than 300 miles is just tiring period. we decided 300 miles max and one or two days to get to any location then a min stay of 5 days if not longer- 2 to set up and break down and min 3 to just sight see

we have 35 foot 5th wheel used KOA, truck stops and BLM lands and national parks. we found we needed some personal time each week - i went fishing or sighting seeing or a hike -see went shopping etc- but even with two slides it get tight and cramped - we had two snow days Yellowstone and went stir crazy -

we decided right there and there full timing was not for us - we might consider camp host in a great location in the high heat in central texas for a couple months but full time - NOT

we also found national parks were hard to find spots for a 35 footer - state parks were not easy but easier - we can boon dick 5 days with our onboard water and gen set and extra 5 gallons but after that we got to dump and load up again

i agree you should buy or rent a beater and go for a extended time and location - 1500 mile min and 30 days and see what gives -having a bit more room in a nicer coach still wont let you "get away " as you can only go so far- 30 feet or outside?

another idea of trying out first you get a good feeling of the must haves - we found as we are 6 feet and taller we HAD to have high ceiling even in the bedroom - HAD to have room on both sides of the bed to make the midnight run - HAD to have storage or room for the gen set, HAD to have recliners and HAD to have a table with chairs not a bench seat

we also found out what its like to not have a jake break on the diesel going down 6-7 hill - with 15k pushing the hell out of you - can you say white knuckles? ran to Banks and added auto brake and wow i dont have to clean my drawers going done hill - most of the newer trucks have them now -

good luck and have fun
Thank you. This is informative, helpful, and entertaining.

We are road trip people. We regularly take long trips and enjoy them (in fact we have a ten hour each way trip coming up soon). Half the fun and sometimes a lot more than half the fun is getting there. Still we intend to limit our daily hops in an RV and avoid driving at night. My night vision is getting pretty annoying, so night driving is stressful. I intend to always drive less time than it takes for driving to become stressful. I also intend to stay off freeways as much as practical. You do not see anything cool from the freeway. I want to stick to highways where we can. When we are not staying near the kids, we will stay in a lot of wildernessy places with cool offroad trails (hence the Gladiator).

Seems like in an RV you can always just pull over someplace and sleep for a night if needed. I have done that in my pickup often enough.

My wife's favorite pastime is to sit in bed and read books (several at once). I am an outdoor person mostly. I love exploring - anything. towns, forests, caves, streams, rivers, sunken ships, ruins, anything. However I sometimes enjoy watching a movie, writing books or playing a computer game. So, the space in an RV ought to be sufficient conceptually. We live in a ridiculously large house now, but we only use about three or four rooms counting one bathroom. However living together in a tiny space is something we have not done in many years. That is the primary reason for our decision to buy a beater as a test. in addition to making trips, we will park it in the driveway and try living in it there for a while. It would be a good time to have some of the more major work done on our house as well.

Our must haves will likely be similar to yours, except we are indifferent about recliners. I am tall(ish - 6'1"+). I also like a table and chairs much more than booths. We can try a booth if that is what it has. Maybe we will find it practical. You get more storage and an extra spare bed with many of the booths.
Lots of storage and weight capacity is important to us. That is one reason we are going with a motorhome over a 5th wheel. One of my favorite hobbies is throwing atlatl, axes, and knives, so I will want to bring those and some targets. We intend to put bicycles and Kayaks in and on the Gladiator. I am still trying to figure out where to stick a concept II Erg while we are traveling. Not sure it will fit underneath. On the roof maybe? I might have to just join one of those national chain gym clubs that are all over the place.

We also have the advantage of having a specific purpose in many of our planned locations for half the year. We have five kids and it appears they will all end up in different states (so far: Denver, Austin; Maryland; one staying in Michigan, and one is still in college). So we will spend roughly a month with each and focus on them. Another month will go to driving between their locations and we will have 4-6 months for random wandering to explore awesome places. Limiting the wandering will help keep it fun longer (we hope). If we can find a place to set up the RV, we will spend a few weeks a year in Orange County Ca where we have a lot of friends.

We intend to buy a small house where one of our kids lives and rent it to them at least initially. That house will have some property with an RV pad, so we will have a sort of home base.

I think what we will most miss is pets. We have always had tons of pets. After looking into the possibility, my wife has gracefully accepted that we will not be able to bring chickens along with us. We will also have to cut back to one or zero parrots, and no more than one dog (probably a small one), or none, and no cats, fish, finches, ferrets, snakes . . . (the latter two are actually our daughter's).

We have looked at over 100 RVs of different types. We have developed some wants. Above all else, we want it to be homey inside and not look/feel like a hospital, office, or hotel room. Most of the high end RVs seem to prefer that look/feel. That is why we selected the Royale conversion only. If we find we cannot afford a Prevost, we will drop down to a Monaco, Beaver or HR. I am pretty sure everything we are looking at has jake brakes.

Frankly I cannot think of a lot of things I will miss about having a house. I am tired of fixing things and yard work (both of which I used to enjoy). Hopefully in an RV the fixing things part will reduce to only three or four things a month so it can still be fun. Honestly, I am pretty sick of the pets as well. Wife isn't but she will be ok with fewer, possibly none. Elsewise there is not likely to be a lot terribly different. We mostly cook in the microwave, slow cooker, or stove-top and rarely have anything elaborate. We do not need a lot of space in the kitchen. Switching from a huge shower to a tiny one may take some adjustment. A smaller bed should not be an issue as we no longer host a number of children and pets in our room in the mornings and night.

The idea of being able to clean stem to stern in less than a single day of work is very appealing, we might even start washing windows on occasion. I also like the idea that you can just move if your neighbors get annoying.

One thing I am pondering is whether we might want to also bring a cricket golf cart thingy so we have a second vehicle to get around in a pinch. I am not sure we would use it that much though. We can always add that later if we decide it is something we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing