Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times

Advertisements

No worries. We really enjoy tent camping except the part about setting up and taking down in the rain. One day we'll probably get a camper of some sort, but I really don't think it makes a lot of sense until we're retired and can use it a lot. Until then I'm always on the lookout for something that's more comfortable, especially in the elements. We've been mostly pretty lucky with the weather in recent years, but I do recall one windy/rainy day where we almost bailed and got a hotel room.

I was thinking an inflatable could be easier to set up in the rain. It seems like one person could throw on a rain poncho to stay dry, roll out the tent and pump up the tubes. Less hassle than messing with poles?

Also, with a big enough tent I suppose one could have a wet room and a dry room. I've never owned a tent anywhere near that large, so the thought hadn't occurred to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:37 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Did you watch the video of the instant tent, I swear, I had it up in a minute by myself. They do sell them in larger sizes, double rooms even. at very reasonable prices. I get wanting an inflatable, but, it will still take a few minutes for it to fully extend, likely more time than setting up the instant tent. Now unless you're talking about one of those popup tents, I had one of those, but only for a day at the beach, and they're not great for camping.

Often they show two people setting it up, but, one person can do it no matter the size.

10x14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgVpwbv_T2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSywV8wQJYE

this is a huge one a 3 room instant tent.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
The last tent I bought, many years ago, advertised itself as

1. "Sleeping six"
2. "Easily set up by one person"

Sure....if:

1. It's for six midgets who are into group sex
2. That person has a minimum of three arms, preferably four to five

Where's "truth in advertising" when you need it?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:43 AM

I agree, everyone I'm sure agrees with you in wishing advertisers were true to their word,, but how often is that the case with most things we see advertised. Any experienced tent buyer knows a 2 person sleeps 1, a 4 person sleeps 2, 6-3 and so on.

As far as setting up the tent by oneself, well some are just not very capable and not all tents are made in a way that is easy to handle alone. I was on a trip in October and and two in my group had an instant tent they had borrowed,they were having a time putting it up. I believe it took six of us to get it erected properly. I don't remember the brand but I knew I'd never get one made like it.

I did buy a tent that was advertised as fast pitch, I wish I had watched a user video on YouTube. I never would have made the purchase. Luckily I was able to exchange in time for my upcoming trip.

And as I've said I tested my 6 person ie 3 person tent I had it up in seconds. I did it having only two hands. I m sure experience helps, I do have a smaller one I've used on previous trips.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Our easy up, or instant, tent supposedly sleeps 14. It comfortably sleeps 4 -5 with stuff. We usually use 2 king sized air mattresses and one twin sized with clothing and gear, it gets a little crowded - less so with only 4 people. With the small hikers mats or ground level air mattersses you might get 7 people in it. If you can leave your clothing outside and sleep on the little ground mats you might get 8 in there. I can stand up with a good 6" room to spare in much of it (I am 6'1"+) although I have to duck when going through the doors. It also has a large screen porch which is nice but not watertight (obviously). I can carry the whole thing by myself. It is heavy, but less than 50 pounds I think. It cost about $250 - $275. I do not remember the maker but it is one of the common cheap brands.

It does literally go up in a minute or less. Down takes quite a bit longer, maybe ten minutes if you include stuffing it into the bag.

I can put it up by myself, but it will take 10 - 20 minutes and a lot of cursing.

It does quite well in storms as long as you put out all the ropes and stake them in properly. Of course ropes and takes are not included in the 1 minute to put it up. Most times your do not need them. We usually just toss it up when we arrive then in the morning re-position it and stake it down if we will be in one location for a while. Sometimes we let the staking go until it gets windy, then we race around driving in stakes as fast as we can. First step is to throw away those stupid wire staked that come with the tent. Second thing is to treat it with several coats of waterproofing.

We have had it for 3 years and beat the heck out of it (storms, camping for 10 days straight, basically quickly wadding it up and tossing it in the back of the truck in a storm. It got beat up and collapsed in wind storms when we did not stake it down correctly before the storm. People have bent the pole joints the wrong way and tried to put it in the bag. It is showing some wear one pole does not stand up quite right and another makes cracking noises if you fold it the wrong way. Still I think it has been a decent deal.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Did you watch the video of the instant tent, I swear, I had it up in a minute by myself. They do sell them in larger sizes, double rooms even. at very reasonable prices. I get wanting an inflatable, but, it will still take a few minutes for it to fully extend, likely more time than setting up the instant tent. Now unless you're talking about one of those popup tents, I had one of those, but only for a day at the beach, and they're not great for camping.
Thanks, yes I did look at the video. It looks pretty clever.

My concern with any of these fast-to-set-up tents is how they hold up in weather. The tents I'm used to using do take a little time to set up... maybe ten minutes. But then they will keep me dry and won't collapse in wind.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:34 PM

See what coldjensons said in his post about holding up in storms, paragraph 4. He says he has had his tent for a few years and it's weathered well through storms over the years. My smaller version hasn't had any issues through some harsh winds, even when I camped two nights on the beach in October last year.

But, honestly I can't speak for all brands and models of these tents as to how they will hold up for each individual. Some of it will also depend on the user setting it up properly.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
See what coldjensons said in his post about holding up in storms, paragraph 4. He says he has had his tent for a few years and it's weathered well through storms over the years. My smaller version hasn't had any issues through some harsh winds, even when I camped two nights on the beach in October last year.

But, honestly I can't speak for all brands and models of these tents as to how they will hold up for each individual. Some of it will also depend on the user setting it up properly.
As long as you securely stake all the ropes, it does great in storms. We have weathered some pretty amazing storms camping on the shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. High winds, deluge rain, pine cones and tree branches (small ones) falling on it. . .

If you do not stake the ropes or miss one - it does not do very well at all. Even a 20 mph wind will push it over. It pops back up when the wind stops, but if it rains while pushed over it will leak. Also you ahve to fasten the fly properly.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:39 PM

I think this is our tent. It says only 12 person though. Either they changed the number or I mis-remembered what was on the box (more likely). This looks like it though. If it is the same tent it is cheaper now - hooray. I might buy one and store it, I really like this one and they tend to change and discontinue models a lot. However I have to find a different seller or get someone to buy it for me as a gift. I refuse to buy from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...&wl13=&veh=sem

I was put off by some of the reviews, but other reviewers claimed the bad reviews were from people who just did not put the tent up correctly. I think that has to be the case. Ours has never leaked and never collapsed when fully staked. Although we did spray the whole thing with waterproofing spray and sealed the seams with seam sealer when we first got it. I do that with every tent we buy.

Our only beef with this tent is that it is a cheap tent and will not last forevermore and the screen room floor gets puddles on it unless it is pointed uphill (it drains at the back of the screenroom).

It is amusing though to look at the last picture. It shows a map of how to get 12 people in there. No people from Nordic countries allowed though. You have to be 5'7" or less.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-11-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Nice tent, you even have a little porch. Yours definitely would require more than a minute. I got such a great deal on my 6-p tent because I think it's a different model newer or older I don't remember. I just know I can't wait to get out there and make use of it.

A surprise to many of my friends they only ever saw the beachie side of me, but, I so much love camping and shopping for camping gear. Camping was something I did as a kid, and didn't get back into until just 9 years ago. Can't get enough. I don't mind if I have to replace my tent after a couple of years, I enjoy the search for a new tent especially since I I'm not going to spend a lot anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing